Mayo 3-11 Sligo 0-7 Champions Dethroned

Started by Barney, May 22, 2008, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

JOM 'hopeful' that Conor Mort will be fit - he won't have played in several weeks though, so he's bound to be a bit rusty if he manages to play at all

WITH less than a fortnight remaining to Mayo's first game in this year's Connacht championship, John O'Mahony says that he is 'hopeful' that Conor Mortimer will be fit to start against Sligo.
Mayo's leading scorer in their last four championship campaigns is suffering from a thigh strain and was forced to miss Shrule/Glencorrib's club championship match against Ballaghaderreen last Sunday.
Mortimer sustained the injury while weight training last month and aggravated it further during Shrule's opening club championship game with Breaffy. He did travel to Portugal with the Mayo squad on their training camp recently but was unable to take any part in training.
"The injury has really restricted him in the last few weeks," John O'Mahony told The Mayo News. "We'll just have to wait and see how he responds to treatment but we'd be hopeful that he will  be right for Sligo. Ideally, we'd like to see him play a bit of ball before Sunday week as there's a difference between being fit and being match fit."
The Mayo manager also said that just two players had picked up knocks in last weekend's club championship games as far as he was aware. Ballintubber's Alan Dillon (back) and Shrule/Glencorrib's Kieran Conroy (dead leg) are due to be assessed by Mayo's medical team   this week.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

kevmy

Quote from: Tubberman on June 10, 2008, 10:19:52 AM
Jaysis Highlorlow, I hope you're wrong with that team, I'd be seriously worried if that 15 lined out in those positions  :-\

Cunniffe is not a corner-back, as has been well and truly proven in the league. He does have plenty of potential as a half-back though. Also, I wouldn't give Trevor the CHB spot. He could possibly do a good job there, but he hasn't played there before as far as I can recall.
Same with Parsons, could possibly do a job at CHF but surely Dillon is the better option there. Parsons has only played midfield for the seniors.

I better make an attempt myself after saying all that:

Clarke,
A Higgins
Conroy
Boyle (Nallen to come in if Boyle is getting roasted)
K Hggins
Heaney
T Mort
Parsons
McGarrity
Campbell
Dillon
Gardiner
A Moran
AOM
C Mort (Kilcoyne/Ronaldson if Mort is out)

I'd be thinking along the same lines as yourself there Tubberman. I'd swap Trevor and Gardiner around though Trevor offers much more going forward and if anything his point taking has improved over the last couple of years.
Personally lads I wouldn't be worried about the forwards they performed well in the league if Dillon can find the form of 2 years ago and Conor is fit we should get past Sligo handy enough even with our defensive problems.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: moysider on June 08, 2008, 01:27:12 AM
Quote from: RedandGreenSniper on June 07, 2008, 07:53:39 AM
Quote from: moysider on June 06, 2008, 03:51:06 PM

On a different matter. Would Brian Maloney not have been a useful man to have in the panel? Never one of his greatest admirers but he looked better this Spring than he did when he was a Mayo regular. If Mort does nt make it he would have been a better bet to work the corner than some in the panel.

The shocking thing here is that you're right Moysider. Maloney would be well in the shake up. It tells you all you need to know about our lack of quality inside men.

Jayus Sniper will you give us a break. Surely I get an odd thing right. What's seldom is wonderful I suppose, or in this case, shocking.

Ha ha, apologies Moysider. What I meant to say was that its shocking that Maloney would be close, not that you were correct. I would never want to imply that you do be wrong most of the time  :D
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: kevmy on June 10, 2008, 11:28:45 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on June 10, 2008, 10:19:52 AM
Jaysis Highlorlow, I hope you're wrong with that team, I'd be seriously worried if that 15 lined out in those positions  :-\

Cunniffe is not a corner-back, as has been well and truly proven in the league. He does have plenty of potential as a half-back though. Also, I wouldn't give Trevor the CHB spot. He could possibly do a good job there, but he hasn't played there before as far as I can recall.
Same with Parsons, could possibly do a job at CHF but surely Dillon is the better option there. Parsons has only played midfield for the seniors.

I better make an attempt myself after saying all that:

Clarke,
A Higgins
Conroy
Boyle (Nallen to come in if Boyle is getting roasted)
K Hggins
Heaney
T Mort
Parsons
McGarrity
Campbell
Dillon
Gardiner
A Moran
AOM
C Mort (Kilcoyne/Ronaldson if Mort is out)

I'd be thinking along the same lines as yourself there Tubberman. I'd swap Trevor and Gardiner around though Trevor offers much more going forward and if anything his point taking has improved over the last couple of years.
Personally lads I wouldn't be worried about the forwards they performed well in the league if Dillon can find the form of 2 years ago and Conor is fit we should get past Sligo handy enough even with our defensive problems.

Tubber I'd agree with that team with the exception of Campbell. I'd have Harte in. Apparently he's playing well with the club which should see a return to 06 form at this level too.
Boyle will probably get the nod but I wouldn't be surprised if Liam O'Malley sneaked into contention.

Also if its a straight call between Ronaldson and Kilcoyne for corner forward if the Mort isn't fit then it simply has to be Ronaldson. On a good day Kilcoyne might score more but Ronaldson gives you so much more. You will always get a performance out of him, he will be a nightmare to mark and uses the ball well even if his shouting range may not be inter-county standard.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Tubberman

QuoteTubber I'd agree with that team with the exception of Campbell. I'd have Harte in

Completely forgot about Harte! :o I'd have him before Campbell as well. I was at the Meath challenge game, and while you can't read too much into those games, Harte had an excellent game. Seems to be back to his best.
I'm not so sure about Liam O'Malley. I hear he's playing great stuff for Burrishoole lately, but he's been caught out quite a lot at inter-county level when playing in the corner. He's just too loose. 
Ronaldson is probably the better option at corner-forward. Kilkoyne, when he's playing well, has a lot to offer but is a better half forward running straight at the defence. But apparently his form has deserted him for Knockmore lately, so Ronaldson would probably get the nod. 
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

moysider

I believe Liam O Malley will start now. Reckon injury to blame for early poor form this spring and he had a long lay- off. He was the player everybody was talking about after the Ballina/Burishoole match on Saturday evening. Patrick Harte was started in the corner and O Malley did a job on him. Now Harte is no corner forward but when he was switched out O Malley followed, ran riot and nearly won the match on his own. Like a lot of our defenders he s better at half-back and I would feel happier now if Keith H had to be played in the corner we could still put out a lively hb line.O Malley an option for 6 as well. Saying that I think they ll probably start with O Malley at 4 and Aiden H at 2.

Higgins      Conroy        O Malley

Mort         Heaney       Higgins

Lar Naparka

Quote from: moysider on June 11, 2008, 09:59:07 AM

I believe Liam O Malley will start now. Reckon injury to blame for early poor form this spring and he had a long lay- off. He was the player everybody was talking about after the Ballina/Burishoole match on Saturday evening. Patrick Harte was started in the corner and O Malley did a job on him. Now Harte is no corner forward but when he was switched out O Malley followed, ran riot and nearly won the match on his own. Like a lot of our defenders he s better at half-back and I would feel happier now if Keith H had to be played in the corner we could still put out a lively hb line.O Malley an option for 6 as well. Saying that I think they ll probably start with O Malley at 4 and Aiden H at 2.

I'm not really taking a swing at the Messiah here but have you noticed anything unusual about Moysider's proposed line up?
No offence, MS, I imagine that formation is about as good as it gets but, of the six you propose, only Keith Higgins is a cert to start the game in the backs!
I do expect Mort and Heaney to start alright but the question is where?
Sligo fans I have spoken to expect little or no change to their team; Jordan has a settled formation more or less fixed. O'Mahony is probably doing his best to get a settled combination but he is over 18 months in charge and is still using the Lego method to try and come up with the best shape he can get for his side.
Like I say, he may very well be doing his best but it's scores on the board and not problems on the sideline that will decide where Sam winds up this year, or any year.
We have lots of good players alright but how to combine them to best advantage is proving to be one hell of a problem.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Mano

Quote from: Lar Naparka on June 11, 2008, 11:20:53 AM
Sligo fans I have spoken to expect little or no change to their team; Jordan has a settled formation more or less fixed. O’Mahony is probably doing his best to get a settled combination but he is over 18 months in charge and is still using the Lego method to try and come up with the best shape he can get for his side.

The reason why we would be more settled than Mayo is because we have already played a game in the championship albeit against a poor London side. Consequently we would know at least 12 players and their positions of the probable starting team against Mayo. This can be a disadvantage also as Mayo will know what to expect whereas Sligo managament wouldn't have a clue what Mayo team to expect.
Also Mayo have a better panel of players than ourselves and therefore there could be more permutations.

moysider

I'm not really taking a swing at the Messiah here but have you noticed anything unusual about Moysider's proposed line up?
No offence, MS, I imagine that formation is about as good as it gets but, of the six you propose, only Keith Higgins is a cert to start the game in the backs!
Sligo fans I have spoken to expect little or no change to their team; Jordan has a settled formation more or less fixed. O'Mahony is probably doing his best to get a settled combination but he is over 18 months in charge and is still using the Lego method to try and come up with the best shape he can get for his side.
Like I say, he may very well be doing his best but it's scores on the board and not problems on the sideline that will decide where Sam winds up this year, or any year.
We have lots of good players alright but how to combine them to best advantage is proving to be one hell of a problem.

Just like to point out that I was trying to second guess what management may have in mind rather than the line up I would like to see put out or I would put out myself.

kevmy

Lar you've being going on about not having a settled side for a long time and I know I'm repeating myself but I don't really see it. We have in my opinion 6 positions up for grabs. The whole FB line, 1 wing back position and 2 wing forward spots (this is presuming Conor does make it and Howley is out for the Championship).
Of those 6 positions we have in my opinion 2 men who will definitely start it's just a matter of where, Trevor and Gardiner will start whether wing back or wing forward is the question. If I had my way it would be Trevor at 12 and Peader in the backs.
Now the FB line is what I'm worried about and I don't think you can blame Johnno for it. Who would you settle on? Surely the players had to be tried out in the league in case some one stood out there, is that not what the league is for? The fact that there are no outstanding full backs in the county is not Johnno's fault he's going to have to put a round peg in a square hole and he has being trying to find the best round peg for that spot. Maybe Sligo have some round pegs as well but the don't have the choice of pegs we do.
Having said all that Conroy looks like he'll start FB and then we're down to 1 wing forward spot and the 2 corner backs. Take your pick from there but having only 10 or 11 spots nailed down before the Championship is not unusual especially in a period of rebuilding.
Apart from I'm not worried, give Johnno time me might have the tea malready picked and we don't know it.

moysider

There is also the possibility that the league fullback will be jettisoned for the second year running and fireman David Heaney going to 3. Johnno would have seen Conroy getting a bit of a scutching v Barry Regan at the weekend  by some accounts, and that would make him have second thoughts perhaps. O Malley or  Billy Joe could come in at 6 giving a defence something like this.

A Higgins/Cuniffe                                    D Heaney                                                   K Higgins/Nallen/ O Malley/ Boyle /Cuniffe

Mort/ Gardiner/ Cuniffe                 BJP/ O Malley/ Nallen/ Cuniffe                          Mort/Gardiner/ K Higgins/ O Malley

Howley looks like being back sooner than later. Looks like a def for Connacht Final -  if we re in one this year.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: moysider on June 11, 2008, 12:52:40 PM

There is also the possibility that the jeague fullback will be jettisoned for the second year running and fireman David Heaney going to 3. Johnno would have seen Conroy getting a bit of a scutching v Barry Regan at the weekend  by some accounts, and that would make him have second thoughts perhaps. O Malley or  Billy Joe could come in at 6 giving a defence something like this.

A Higgins/Cuniffe                                    D Heaney                                                   K Higgins/Nallen/ O Malley/ Boyle /Cuniffe

Mort/ Gardiner/ Cuniffe                 BJP/ O Malley/ Nallen/ Cuniffe                          Mort/Gardiner/ K Higgins/ O Malley

Howley looks like being back sooner than later. Looks like a def for Connacht Final -  if we re in one this year.

Ye can only play six of them lads. ;D

moysider

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 11, 2008, 01:03:10 PM
Quote from: moysider on June 11, 2008, 12:52:40 PM

There is also the possibility that the jeague fullback will be jettisoned for the second year running and fireman David Heaney going to 3. Johnno would have seen Conroy getting a bit of a scutching v Barry Regan at the weekend  by some accounts, and that would make him have second thoughts perhaps. O Malley or  Billy Joe could come in at 6 giving a defence something like this.

Ye can only play six of them lads. ;D

Yeah, Yeah, but its not as complicated as it looks. There are @ 11 lads for 6 places and several are lads that can cover a few spots. One of Mort/ Gardiner may appear in the forwars and its unlikely that either Boyle or Nallen would start. That narrows it down a bit.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: kevmy on June 11, 2008, 12:34:41 PM

Lar you've being going on about not having a settled side for a long time and I know I'm repeating myself but I don't really see it. We have in my opinion 6 positions up for grabs. The whole FB line, 1 wing back position and 2 wing forward spots (this is presuming Conor does make it and Howley is out for the Championship).
Of those 6 positions we have in my opinion 2 men who will definitely start it's just a matter of where, Trevor and Gardiner will start whether wing back or wing forward is the question. If I had my way it would be Trevor at 12 and Peader in the backs.
Now the FB line is what I'm worried about and I don't think you can blame Johnno for it. Who would you settle on? Surely the players had to be tried out in the league in case some one stood out there, is that not what the league is for? The fact that there are no outstanding full backs in the county is not Johnno's fault he's going to have to put a round peg in a square hole and he has being trying to find the best round peg for that spot. Maybe Sligo have some round pegs as well but the don't have the choice of pegs we do.
Having said all that Conroy looks like he'll start FB and then we're down to 1 wing forward spot and the 2 corner backs. Take your pick from there but having only 10 or 11 spots nailed down before the Championship is not unusual especially in a period of rebuilding.
Apart from I'm not worried, give Johnno time me might have the tea malready picked and we don't know it.
I know, Ms, I know. ;D
Really, I am not a grump by nature and I do wish Johnno and the entire side the very best, all of the time. I have about the same date stamp on my birth cert as Enda Kenny, so while I can go back a fair bit I am not able to waffle on about Padraig Carney or any of the side that last brought Sam home.
What I can say about sides from the late 60s onwards is that we were always served by good backs and by a good midfield; up front was always a problem. “Wide shooting forwards” was a catch phrase to describe Mayo’s attack for many years.
The likes of Noel Durkin and James Horan were honourable exceptions in their times but really most of the rest would have great difficulty in hitting a barn door with a banjo.
Now, and fair credit to John O’Mahony, we do have a good number of attackers who can shoot with the very best. We also have 6 or 7 very good defenders – but all of them seem to play at their best if they are in the HB line.
We should get by Sligo if we measure our players up individually with Tommy Jordan’s lads.  I think we could reasonably expect to do this.
But I’d also say that the test may be a lot tougher than many of our fans seem to think. Tommy has a settled side that know how to combine well together.
Same goes for Liam Sammon and Galway- if we get to meet them.

If, say, we confront Pillar Caffrey’s mob along the line and he can stop them from fighting all around them, I’d have no fears about matching them man for man but at least he will have  a settled side that have long experience of playing ( and fighting) together.
Kerry are odds-on for Sam this year, but not because they have the best players in the country in every position on the field. Pat O’Shea can slot any player in and out without upsetting the shape of his side. He won’t be entering any game with 6 or 7 positions up for grabs.
For me, the big concern is that John O’Mahony has no clearer idea of his best formation than he had 18 months ago when he started out. That’s not belittling the manager; it’s just stating a fact.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

kevmy

I'm not sure if thats true. While he might have had more experience and more certain starters last year it didn't do us much good and a lot of the old guard were getting one last swing.
This year we have Howley at centre back and Parsons at midfield who are both long termers and a settled FF in Austie. Now if someone said to you when Johnno took over what positions would you be worried about in 3 years time I'd say most people would reply FB, CB, one midfielder and FF. Now IMO he's been working towards solving them spots. Now he's not finished and Howley's injury has put the cat among the pigeons, but we're working towards a side that will be settled for a 2 or 3 year period at least where we can have another realistic crack at Sam.

For example this was the team to announced to play Galway on that horrible day 12months ago
K O'Malley; L O'Malley, BJ Padden, K Higgins; E Devenney, J Nallen, P Gardiner; D Heaney, P Harte; G Brady, T Mortimor, A Dillon; C Mortimor, K O'Neill, A Moran.

Now in that team we had Nallen, Heaney, G Brady and O'Neill all on the wrong side of 30. A midfield of Heaney and Harte and BJP in FB.
IMO we have a better half back line, a better midfield and a FF line in better form. There's nothing much to choose between O'Malley and Clarke in goal. Our FB line and half forward are at least no worse than last year. Only Heaney of the old guard is certain of a place this year.

Basically I'm saying we're a bit like Iranróid Eireann: we're not there yet but we're getting there