TV3 on Sky Digital in the North

Started by giveherlong, May 21, 2008, 12:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveherlong

Lads,

Was wondering what the story is with picking up TV3 in the North?
I have sky digital and have TG4, RTE1 & 2.
Is it possible to 'tune in' TV3 on sky digital?
Would be good to have since they are broadcasting some c'ship games this year.

All help appreciated.

bennydorano

Got it tuned in about a year or two ago, had it about a week and then they blue screened it.  No chance.

Donagh

Quote from: giveherlong on May 21, 2008, 12:50:35 PM
Lads,

Was wondering what the story is with picking up TV3 in the North?
I have sky digital and have TG4, RTE1 & 2.
Is it possible to 'tune in' TV3 on sky digital?
Would be good to have since they are broadcasting some c'ship games this year.

All help appreciated.

Can get it fine in south Belfast with a normal aerial.

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Rick O Shea

There was an article in the Irish News yesterday about this.

You can't get TV3 through sky and because the signal isn't the best in some parts of the North they are looking into broadcasting their games on the internet.

Edit: here's the article:

TV3 is to broadcast All-Ireland GAA matches live on the internet because of patchy television coverage in the north.

The station last night revealed it was hoping to show a number of games online to cater for homes with poor quality reception.

It is the first year that some All-Ireland games have broadcast by a commercial station.

The deal was negotiated with the GAA for a three-year period, giving TV3 a sizeable slice of the lucrative market.

It has rights to broadcast some provincial finals, semi-finals and qualifier games.

Tyrone All-Ireland winner Peter Canavan and former Armagh manager Joe Kernan are due to be among station's studio team.

However, the announcement that some games would only be available on TV3 sparked some concern about the quality of reception to roof aerials in some rural parts of the north.

Unlike RTE, the station is not available on cable or satellite services.

In response, a TV3 spokeswoman last night said it was hoping to broadcast the games simultaneously on the internet, and an official announcement would be made shortly.

She said although she believed reception was good across most of the north, the station recognised that some rural spots may have problems picking up the games.

Last week TV3 chief executive David McRedmond said that "showing the national game is essential for a national broadcaster and we are immensely grateful to all at the GAA for making this happen".

loughshore lad

Have you got a TV with free view on it? If so can you not get it via the freeview service. It may depend on where you live but I have no problems watching it via free view. I have Sky+ and dont get it via sky.

Windmill abu

Never underestimate the power of complaining

loughshore lad

Quote from: Windmill abu on May 21, 2008, 02:58:54 PM
What channel is it on freeview?

I think the channel it is on depends on the type of free view device you have.  Mine is built into my LCD TV and TV3 is on channel number 3.

ziggysego

TV3 isn't available on Freeview. It isn't available on any digital platform in the north.
Testing Accessibility

snatter

I highlighted this a few weeks ago.

Simple question to the GAA - what's the point of giving the All-island rights to a channel that can't be picked up across huge swathes of the North?
Especially the Ulster Final ffs.

How can our games ever make inroads into urban areas in Ni, when the vast majority of NI residents won't be able to see them?
Its a marketing disaster.

Common sense would have told all parties involved (and that includes the GAA ) that all bids for Irish rights must ensure that everybody, North and South can actually see the matches.

In practive this would have led to joint bids for the all island rights, eg RTE/BBC and UTV/TV3.

An added benefit would be that northerners without RTE would be able to get comprehensive coverage of the bigger games down south.

armaghniac

QuoteSimple question to the GAA - what's the point of giving the All-island rights to a channel that can't be picked up across huge swathes of the North?
Especially the Ulster Final ffs.

How can our games ever make inroads into urban areas in Ni, when the vast majority of NI residents won't be able to see them?
Its a marketing disaster.

While the point has some validity, I thought the BBC were covering all bar one of the Ulster games live? BBC do not want to show non Ulster games, whatever the GAA want.

In any case what do you expect when the GAA is being sponsored by Vodafone a company who routinely gouge people crossing the border.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B