Poll

If Cavan beat Armagh, should Keoghan stay on as manager for 2009 ?

Yes - no doubt
18 (42.9%)
No way -
19 (45.2%)
Maybe - let's see first
5 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Voting closed: June 03, 2008, 05:55:48 PM

Author Topic: Donal Keoghan  (Read 24726 times)

Lawrence of Knockbride

• View Profile
Re: Donal Keoghan
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 06:58:40 PM »
I was very careful to say that I didn't think Keoghan is a good manager but I get the usual about people changing their minds. I didn't change my mind. But for all you that say he should go regardless would you still say it if we won Ulster. Is there nothing to be said for someone learning as they go along. I think it's worse to close your mind to any possibilities than to contemplate changing it. Please see my other arguments so that I need not repeat them.

mylestheslasher

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 07:25:11 PM »
I was very careful to say that I didn't think Keoghan is a good manager but I get the usual about people changing their minds. I didn't change my mind. But for all you that say he should go regardless would you still say it if we won Ulster. Is there nothing to be said for someone learning as they go along. I think it's worse to close your mind to any possibilities than to contemplate changing it. Please see my other arguments so that I need not repeat them.

The poll says if we beat Armagh should he be allowed stay on. No mention of winning Ulster. If we won Ulster then that would be a totally different set of circumstances

Hollow Man

« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 11:06:56 PM »
Ballyhaise Man, you're full of shit. You spend months saying Keogan's a joke, has to go, destroying the team, holding lock ins etc - now you say that since we beat the worst team in Ulster, that ny ype of win (even  a fluke, a bad ref, whatever) and all is forgiven, Keogan is the right men for 09?

Get a grip.

mylestheslasher

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 11:09:01 PM »
Just one note. 26 have voted but there are not that many Cavan posters on the board so the percentage is not a true reflection of what the Cavan posters believe. I thought it was worth noting.

orangeman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 11:10:17 PM »
Yes - 26 votes but he's still ahead !

BallyhaiseMan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2008, 11:15:23 PM »
Ballyhaise Man, you're full of shit. You spend months saying Keogan's a joke, has to go, destroying the team, holding lock ins etc - now you say that since we beat the worst team in Ulster, that ny ype of win (even  a fluke, a bad ref, whatever) and all is forgiven, Keogan is the right men for 09?

Get a grip.

Here you twat, i said Keoghan is the right man and should be there in 09 if we beat Armagh AND progress far in the championship(last 16) which is where we got with McElkennon
You might want to read the whole post before jumping to conclusions and making a c*nt of yourself, well in your case an even bigger c*nt of yourself.

orangeman

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 11:51:13 AM »

Get a grip.

Here you twat, i said Keoghan is the right man and should be there in 09 if we beat Armagh AND progress far in the championship(last 16) which is where we got with McElkennon
You might want to read the whole post before jumping to conclusions and making a c*nt of yourself, well in your case an even bigger c*nt of yourself.

It's nice to see a bit of dignity on the board !  :D ;D

Mr. Pain

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2008, 12:15:33 PM »
[You might want to read the whole post before jumping to conclusions and making a c*nt of yourself, well in your case an even bigger c*nt of yourself.

Ballyhaise man, you're a hard man to keep up with. If you stopped changing your mind for two seconds one may be able to quote you properly. Mr. Pain refers to this:

BH Man Im shocked,you'v changed your tune.I voted NO.

boojangles
if we beat Armagh id look upon this as a sucessful season to be honest and then he should be given this year and his last year in 2009.

if we dont beat Armagh and we dont win at least 2 qualifer games, Hes got to go.

Its make of break for him against Armagh!!

The fact is he is not a good manager and should not be kept on even if we beat Armagh. Now don't go changing your mind again or putting in new terms and conditions so as to get closer to that fence you want to sit on and then jump on the bandwagon of whatever outcome brings.
No Pain, no gain. Enjoy Mr. Pain responsibly.

cavanmaniac

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2008, 12:28:27 PM »
He still has to go.

This is a redundant discussion anyway because we haven't a snowball's chance against Armagh, not unless they've fallen back a long way since McDonnell took over, which I suppose has yet to be truly quantified as they haven't played a championship game as yet.

One win by the second weakest team in Ulster over the weakest, and a flawed one at that, is no reason whatsoever to open a debate on Keogan's future. All that has preceded this week, in the league, points only one way, he has to go. Lock-ins, inconsistent panel selection, last minute draftees and chopping and changing, general cluelessness on the sideline and hare-brained substitutions, how quick some forget all this.

Anyway, best we can hope for against Armagh is not to get embarrassed on home turf. Antrim scored 1-14 and should have scored more, and now we have to face a battle hardened Armagh with Clarke and McDonnell and other hugely experienced, dangerous and physically strong players. It'll be a culture shock for our lightweights, if we lose by less than 5 it'll be an achievement.

Besides, Keogan himself reputedly said off the record recently that he'd be gone as soon as our championship involvement ends this year. My only fear is that if we fluke a few wins in the qualifiers he'll get delusions of adequacy and actually stay on.

Make no mistake, and hope of building on some of the admittedly decent players blooded by Keogan depends on his not being there.

boojangles

• Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2008, 02:15:32 PM »
BH Man you should look at the few words at the bottom of your profile.Keoghan out now. You are starting to change your tune which suprises me.I dont like the way the whole talk has turned into Should he stay or should he go.I think we'v probly all voted at this stage so until after the Armagh game,I think we should shut up about DK.
Anybody heading up to see the Cavan Juniors play in the Leinster Championship? I think its a great idea.There seems to b alot of lads not on the panel(from the panel in the Celt) who I would hav thought should b on it,but its definetely a step in the right direction.It stops lads going off the radar as has happened for too long.
Who's playing who this weekend?
We'r at home to our old rivals from the past few years-Ballinagh Saturday evening.

Hollow Man

« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 03:13:01 PM »
Whoa there Ballyhaise Man - you're contradicting yourself here again.

You just said:

But was this not what you said earlier?

if we beat Armagh id look upon this as a sucessful season to be honest and then he should be given this year and his last year in 2009.

And then this

Its make of break for him against Armagh!!

So which is it? If we beat Armagh, is this a "successful year" (as you said) and should DK then be allowed to stay on (as you said above) OR do we need to beat Armagh AND reach the last 16 (which you say you said)?

Which is it, just so I know. Don't want to "make a cxxt of myself" again...

All the best,

Hollow Man
 :-*

mylestheslasher

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2008, 04:25:36 PM »
Not only is Keoghan spliting the camp he spliting the board. Pretty much 50/50 on those who think he should stay and the rest and poor BHM and HM are at each others throats.

The only way I would consider letting Keoghan stay is if we win Ulster and then there is a lock in in the imperial for everyone after.

BallyhaiseMan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2008, 10:34:23 PM »
ok il be honest and Hollowman has me with that first post, whatever i was smoking when i said only beating Armagh would be good enough no matter how we done after that. i must have got caught up in the excitment of actually winning a game!!! Now once ive got round to thinking clearly about it

To stop this bickering, here it is for me
i believe anything other than a Cavan win against Armagh followed by a good performance against Tyrone(most likely????) in Ulster Semi, and followed by at LEAST one qualifier win, to put it bluntly at least a last 16 finish in the championship(which we had under McElkennon) then Keoghan should be turfed out.
 is that satisfactory Hollow Man?

boojangles

• Never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 01:42:45 AM »
The only way I would consider letting Keoghan stay is if we win Ulster and then there is a lock in in the imperial for everyone after.

Well Il definetely drink to that.The only way we'l win Ulster this year is if Keoghan persuades Mairtin Beag to come back and take over the reins-as Player Manager

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2008, 03:11:41 AM »
Outsider (Antrim man with nothing to shout about) looking in.

I'm finding this all very strange. You seem to hold your players in a very high regard and have a total disregard for your manager.
I'm reading some of the posts and I'm in disbelief. "If we beat Armagh" "If we win Ulster".
Has it ever struck you that you simply don't have the players to do either? And that no manager can change that?
It seems that your high expectations of a very limited Cavan side are unwarranted.

On Sunday, you started well but when Antrim came back at you, your players were very poor at handling the situation. In the first half, Antrim got the goal and a couple of points due to very bad marking. In Johnston, you have a superb player but other than that you don't have much else. Martin Reilly is young and played well. McDonald at midfield did well too but Antrim are poor at the minute and you didn't at all blow them away. The game, in my opinion, was won one the sideline. Keoghan (how do you spell his name?) made the right changes at the right time, whereas, Jody took far too long to make a decision and when he finally did, it was too late so he threw anyone on.

Now, there are many claims that lock ins and things have taken place. I know nothing about them, only what I've read here. I do believe yis but riddle me this, why have your players participated in them?