The Diva

Started by Zapatista, May 20, 2008, 09:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Marillius

the ignorance of the football man that Micko is on this thread is just staggering.  :o  not a fecking clue...no doubt about it

Zapatista

Quote from: stephenite on May 20, 2008, 01:19:33 PM
OK AZ - I agree that his ability to entice players across borders leaves a sour taste but again, no rules were broken. My issue would be that it is permitted under the rules and he is let get away with it

That same argument is used to justify execution in the US.

stephenite

Quote from: Zapatista on May 20, 2008, 01:26:06 PM
Quote from: stephenite on May 20, 2008, 01:19:33 PM
OK AZ - I agree that his ability to entice players across borders leaves a sour taste but again, no rules were broken. My issue would be that it is permitted under the rules and he is let get away with it

That same argument is used to justify execution in the US.

You're right - it's entirely the same thing when you think about it ::)

Zapatista

The point still stands that it's not right.

NAG

AZ

you couldnt be more right on this topic, we have for years been spoon fed this notion that he is a wandering messiah, dropping in on these counties and bringing them milk and honey. To be honest about then whole thing he has made a really good living from the GAA for years.

He is as cute and as cynical as every other manager but we are fed this media crap that he is just in it for the love of the game and the game is always better with his teams involved.

what a load of rubbish, equal praise and equal stick for every manager as per how their team is doing and none of the sentimental bullsh*t.

stephenite

Quote from: Zapatista on May 20, 2008, 01:44:38 PM
The point still stands that it's not right.

Oh FFS - has it got to the stage where I now have to ask your opinion on it? You make a ridiculous analogy and then reply with a one liner, it's a discussion board, expand on your comments if you've something to say, instead of ridiculous one liners. >:(

Deep breath - why is the point not right?

Bensars

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on May 20, 2008, 01:25:01 PM
the ignorance of the football man that Micko is on this thread is just staggering.  :o  not a fecking clue...no doubt about it

Have to agree with max on this one.

I think it was 1974/5 when he became kerry manager and has been involved at the top level almost continually since. 30 + yrs of inter county management and there are peole doubting his credentials.

Irrespective of your personal opinions towards the man, there is no doubting that he has brought the best out of the teams he has managed.

passedit

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on May 20, 2008, 01:25:01 PM
the ignorance of the football man that Micko is on this thread is just staggering.  :o  not a fecking clue...no doubt about it

The end justifys the means, a nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse etc, etc. If it was only football this was about and not all the stinking shit that goes with it then fair enough.

QuoteI agree that his ability to entice players across borders leaves a sour taste but again, no rules were broken. My issue would be that it is permitted under the rules and he is let get away with it

Bollox, rules were broken but the will does not exist to pursue the matter, same as payments to managers funny enough.
Don't Panic

Zapatista

Calm down.

You said

I agree that his ability to entice players across borders leaves a sour taste but again, no rules were broken

The fact that no rules where broken does not mean it's OK to do it. I thnk this is what AZ is trying to say. AZ feels the bad taste you are talking about and the media ignore it as no rules where broken.

No you do not need my permission.

magpie seanie

QuoteBut on the other hand magpie seanie won't hear a word said against Roy Keane

I shouldn't go down this road but I'm going to. I end up defending Roy Keane because a lot of the criticism thrown at him is unwarranted and irrational. Of course people struggling with conducting intelligent discussion extrapolate that to "magpie seanie won't hear a word said against Roy Keane" when it suits them. That's simply not the case but hey - never let the truth get in the way of a good attempt at charcter assasination. Roy Keane has many faults and the first person who would say that is Roy Keane. Did you ever hear Micko taking responsibility for a defeat, saying his tactics were wrong? Did you fcuk. So your comparison is flawed as is your wild assertion about what you think I believe.  

Try and discuss the issue and not play the man.

stephenite

Quote from: passedit on May 20, 2008, 02:02:45 PM

Bollox, rules were broken but the will does not exist to pursue the matter, same as payments to managers funny enough.

Can I ask you specifically,what rules were broken and when were they broken?

Hardy

About broken rules, etc - I'm not saying Micko knew Tomás Walsh didn't live in Wicklow when he was invited to leave the Carlow team, because I have no evidence that he did. But I found that whole cynical episode disgusting, especially when the farce became known that Walsh didn't even know the address in Wicklow he was supposed to be living at.

I must say, while you had to admire Wicklow's performance on Sunday, it annoyed me just to look at that lad playing in a Wicklow jersey and to reflect on the fact that a Carlow man playing for Wicklow is just a foretaste of what we can expect when the professionalism bandwagon officially rolls into town.

BTW - Seanie - what you said raises a point I meant to comment on elsewhere. Whatever about my views on the merits and motivations of outside managers, I admired McGeeney's response after Sunday's hammering. No attempt to pin it on the players. "It's my fault", was more or less what he said. Very refreshing.

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: Hardy on May 20, 2008, 02:19:42 PM
About broken rules, etc - I'm not saying Micko knew Tomás Walsh didn't live in Wicklow when he was invited to leave the Carlow team, because I have no evidence that he did. But I found that whole cynical episode disgusting, especially when the farce became known that Walsh didn't even know the address in Wicklow he was supposed to be living at.

I must say, while you had to admire Wicklow's performance on Sunday, it annoyed me just to look at that lad playing in a Wicklow jersey and to reflect on the fact that a Carlow man playing for Wicklow is just a foretaste of what we can expect when the professionalism bandwagon officially rolls into town.

BTW - Seanie - what you said raises a point I meant to comment on elsewhere. Whatever about my views on the merits and motivations of outside managers, I admired McGeeney's response after Sunday's hammering. No attempt to pin it on the players. "It's my fault", was more or less what he said. Very refreshing.

Cork won two All ireland with two Kildare men in 89 and 90....that hardly spelt the advent of professionalism even thou the two did not go for the good of their health. It happens occasionally in the GAA. And I emphasise very occasionally.

AZOffaly

How many 'foreigners' has Micko used in his time in Kildare, Laois and now Wicklow? Is it above the national average? I know Lacey was from Tipp, and his son Karl was obviously from Kerry. At Laois, your man Sheehan is a kerry man, and obviously Tommy Walsh is Carlow, and Dan Doona is another Kerry exile, although that move has yet to happen.

Just to reiterate my stance. I have nothing but admiration for Micko and what he did for Kerry, Laois and Kildare. Wicklow's win on Sunday was promising also. His effect on football in all those counties is undeniable, although I think he joins a list of men who didn't get the very best out of Laois, even if he did do more than the rest.

My issues is with the 'cult' of Micko, rather than Micko the football man.

magpie seanie

QuoteDan Doona is another Kerry exile

Played for NY the other week against Leitrim I think?