Leinster SHC

Started by AZOffaly, May 19, 2008, 12:12:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Well, the annual procession to annoint Kilkenny the masters of Leinster kicks off on Sunday in Portlaoise, with what could be a very tasty double header. In the opening game, there's the almost annual Offaly Laois local derby to set things off. Rumours of disquiet in the respective camps seem to be rampant, each with as many tales of woe than the other, apparently. Offaly had a miserable league campaign, and seem to be standing still, at best, under novice manager Joe Dooley. Relegation, and a few defections have left a sour taste in the mouth, but there are seemingly slightly more positive rumblings coming out of the camp at the moment, with a challenge game win over Clare last weekend (10th/11th). Fitness, or the lack of it, and touch were the two biggest worries I had after the league, but hopefully the training since then will have addressed those issues.  Laois seem to have problems of their own, and rumours that Young will be unfit also abound, which would hurt them severely. Laois would target this game all year, every year as they would love to beat Offaly in the hurling championship, to add to their recent hoodoo over the Faithful at football. They deservedly won a league game this year between the two sides, but we hope that was a major freak day for Offaly. It should be hard and competitive at least.

In the second game of the day, the younger Dooley, Johnny, takes his Division 2 and Christy Ring hurling champions, Westmeath, into battle against Dublin, the heirs apparent to Wexford and Offaly in challenging Kilkenny. Westmeath have a good few passangers, but they do have a strong enough spine of the team, with Greville, McCormack, and Shaw very good players. It will be interesting to say the least to see if the Lake County can throw a spanner into the Dublin works again, as they did last year, I think, in a monsoon downpour.

Offaly team versus Laois should be along the following lines

1.B. Mullins
2.M.Verney
3.D.Kenny
4.D.Franks
5.K. Brady
6.G.Oakley
7.D.Horan
8.B.Murphy
9.S.Ryan
10.D.Molloy
11.P.Cleary
12.A.Egan
13.B.Carroll
14.G. Healion
15.D.Hayden

Edit. Just in case anyone is wondering, Joe Bergin and Rory Hanniffy are out, but will hopefully be ready for the next game, be that in the qualifiers, or against Kilkenny.

HurlingBlog

I think Laois are in bits at the moment, doubt they'll manage to repeat the league success. Young's knee is gone, and a host of the best youngsters are missing through injury, football, lack of interest!

Dublin need to beat Westmeath to keep their underage success ticking over - if they really hit form they could make it to the leinster final this year.... if...

INDIANA

i'd expect dublin to win with a bit to spare, westmeath have some fine hurlers but there is a gap between div 1 and 2 and dublin had some decent performances in div 1 and are getting some of their better players back from injury.

The Real Laoislad

Doubt Laois will be within 10 points of the Biff's unfortunately..As someone said Laois hurling is in bits and has been and will be for a long time
If we get beat by 10 or less it will have been a good day
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Croí na hÉireann

That was 2006 AZ, we will be praying to the Rain Gods all week...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

tayto

A lot will depend on tommy's selection, for some reason i'm not all that inspired by our FF and Hf lines, although the return of dotsy has beena major boost the loss of McCrabbe has offset that for me. Also Kev O'Reilly isnt back fit yet after his cruciate so we'll probably go with Curtin or Mullen for the frees, good freetakers both but not sure they produce enough from play. Think we'll see Qualter and O'Driscoll start who are both willing but limited enough hurlers in my opinion. I'm prefer to see O'Dwyer and young Ryan get their chance, they're the future.

Lecale2

I see Wexford took a hammering in Cork at the weekend. They seem to be in freefall. The only interest for those outside Leinster will be in Dublin's progress.

INDIANA

i wouldn't pay too much attention to challenges, most teams would struggle against cork.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Lecale2 on May 20, 2008, 07:46:34 AM
I see Wexford took a hammering in Cork at the weekend. They seem to be in freefall. The only interest for those outside Leinster will be in Dublin's progress.
There is always one big performance in Wexford every year.
For the last 5 or 6 years they have look bedraggled in the championship build up.
They have the ability to put in a big performance of pride and passion.
I wish Offaly could do something similar in the championship.

Bord na Mona man

Offaly's Murphy fit to face Laois

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Team News: Brendan Murphy has declared himself fit for Offaly's Leinster senior hurling quarter-final against Laois in O'Moore Park, Portlaoise this Sunday.

Murphy returns to the inter county scene after recovering from a knee injury that saw him miss the entire national league campaign.

Despite and MRI scan showing a slight tear to the posterior cruciate ligament he came through two training matches last Friday and Sunday unscathed.

Murphy is keen to make himself available for manager Joe Dooley, who he played alongside eight years ago.

"The players really like him and want to play for him because he's been there and done that," said Murphy, referring to the manager.

"I played alongside Joe in 2000. I was on the wing and he was in the corner forward position."

The last time the two sides met in Portlaoise was in the Division 1B league game in March when Offaly lost 1-17 to 2-13.

http://www.ireland.com/sports/gaa/2008/0520/1211232337754.html

Gnevin

Are rte streaming the Dubs match?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

laoisgaa

Yes GNevin - details on RTÉ.ie/GAA Marty Morrissey is the commentator

Gnevin

Poxy thing won't load ,cheers RTE.
Got it to load in IE. Dub's struggling
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

3-19 - 0-10 with 7 to go . Massive improvement in Dublin in the second half . 3-17 from play so far

INDIANA

3-21 to 0-11 excellent second half. tight first 40 mins but we still have a lot of improving to do beforethe wexford game. the makeup of the forwards in particular is still not right by a long stretch.