Tony, Pat - 'Hammerings' are part of sport

Started by Solo Run, May 19, 2008, 08:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mylestheslasher

Quote from: haranguerer on May 19, 2008, 11:14:15 AM
We shoulda beat them, and would have but for Mickey Graham coming off the bench. Presumably the notorious cavan folk saw it as an investment - they must have thought they could sell off the cup for a profit. ;)
We've had that cup 39 times and haven't sold it yet ;D I'm sure when ye finally get your hands on it you'll mind it for us.

haranguerer

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 20, 2008, 08:28:52 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 19, 2008, 11:14:15 AM
We shoulda beat them, and would have but for Mickey Graham coming off the bench. Presumably the notorious cavan folk saw it as an investment - they must have thought they could sell off the cup for a profit. ;)
We've had that cup 39 times and haven't sold it yet ;D I'm sure when ye finally get your hands on it you'll mind it for us.

We were always hoping you'd sell it - looks like it might be the only way we'll get it!! :'( I'm sure all the clubs would sell tickets to cover the price!  ;D

stevecw

Quote from: INDIANA on May 19, 2008, 03:05:23 PM
carlow can't get their best players out for the county team due to internal problems. that's a public fact. if they got their full whack out they'd give most leinster counties a game. you can't compete without 8-9 of your best players. that's the real reason they were slaughtered rather than banning them from the championship.

You are 100% correct Indiana. Every year its the same problem, we never get even close to fielding the best 15 in the county due to lack of interest, lads walking off the panel etc. Add to that players like Thos Walsh playing for Wicklow now, and Brendan Murphy with Sydney Swans and no wonder we are on the end of a drubbing like last Sundays.
The guys that put in the effort in training and stayed with the thing deserved better than to suffer the humiliation suffered v Meath. Those guys are a committed bunch, but sadly too many of them just are not good enough for inter county football.

There are 15 guys i could name now who were missing Sunday and 10 - 12 of them would certainly have started.
If we had a midfield of Walsh & Murphy that would be as good as any mf pairing about. I know we can't as they are both not with Carlow anymore.
Centre half back should be 2006 carlow footballer of the year Joe Byrne, he didnt join the panel this year. Centre half forward would be our 2007 footballer of the year Derek Hayden who left Eire Og in Carlow to join Arles in Laois and has taken a year out of county football, rumours are that he will be with Laois next year. Full back Liam Murphy is out with injury, and Mark Brennan who is excellent at full fw, mf or fb is concentrating on hurling.
Thats the entire spine of our team missing, without going into other positions. Lads like suspended Mark Carpenter, injured Paul Reid and guys who left panel after being superb earlier in the year v Dublin and other early games like Ray Walker. And there about 5 or 6 more who should be there too.

Hard to know what the solution is, but banning us from the championship certainly isn't one. Its only 2 years ago this month that we dished out a hammering to Wicklow in a Leinster championship game down in Wexford Pk, ironically our star man that day was Thos Walsh! And only 2 years later look the way both teams are.
Only hope for us is to stick at it for the Tommy Murphy Cup, and for once put an effort into winning it. Players said they will commit to it, that they can't let the season just end after an embarresment like Sundays. If we can win a couple of games in that, maybe blood 1 or 2 more of last years excellent minor side then we can build from there.
The performance of last years minor captain St Ledger at full forward on Darren Fay was the only positive to take out of Croker. He did very well to kick 2 great points despite being starved of possession.
Sunday was probably the darkest of many dark days i've had following Carlow football, but only thing is we can't get any worse, only way has to be up from here. (Unless Kilkenny knock us out of TM Cup :o)!

Bogball XV

Quote from: tram on May 20, 2008, 10:29:34 PMThe current football championship is IMHO a mongrel setup that helps the strong get stronger and the weak stay weak. You will get some occasions like Sligo or Fermanagh getting good one-year runs in the championship that could be pointed to the system in place but such fairytale runs existed in the championship before this.
disagree, virtualy every year (since the back door) some team has punched above their weight.  I'm agreeing with you to an extent, all I'm saying is that there should be a prize of entry into the big championship for the winners of the lessor competitions.  What is there to lose?  I mean the weaker tier championship will improve things for all the teams competing in it, the winners will be well battle hardened and should be able to put up a decent challenge to the top tier side they meet.
It's win win imo.

western exile

All these discussions are good, but they have their place, and that was not the place to be having them.  Neither Tony Davis or Pat Spillane, nor any other match day analyst is an administrator of the GAA at central level.  They are employed by RTÉ to comment on, and analyse the games of the day.  Any discussion on whether a team should be allowed to play is totally outside their remit. It is beyond the scope of what they are employed to do.  And since they never came up with this "brilliant" insight BEFORE the game, and only suggested it after the result is known, it smells of shite stirring!
RTÉ should remind them of their duties....

Maguire01

Quote from: western exile on May 22, 2008, 01:37:51 PM

All these discussions are good, but they have their place, and that was not the place to be having them.  Neither Tony Davis or Pat Spillane, nor any other match day analyst is an administrator of the GAA at central level.  They are employed by RTÉ to comment on, and analyse the games of the day.  Any discussion on whether a team should be allowed to play is totally outside their remit. It is beyond the scope of what they are employed to do.  And since they never came up with this "brilliant" insight BEFORE the game, and only suggested it after the result is known, it smells of shite stirring!
RTÉ should remind them of their duties....

This is rubbish, to be fair.  You can't look at and analyse games in isolation - games and performances have to be put in context.  You don't have to be a GAA decision maker to have and express an opinion on a GAA matter.

As for coming up with the idea before the game, it's not the first time that splitting the championship has been raised - it wouldn't have made much sense to raise it on Sunday's show before screening the game - again the argument was in the context of Carlow's hammering and whilst it was very likely they would lose, it was the extent of the loss that raised this line of comment.

They're opinions may not have been universally popular, but they were entitled to make them and, from my viewpoint, this was totally within their remit as pundits.

western exile

I disagree Maguire01 .  You earlier post indicates that you are in favour of another tier of competition similar to the hurling. Tony and Pat appear to share that view.  However, if that is the case, they should have been open about it before the match, instead of waiting in the long grass like snakes until a result goes their way so that they can jump on it. If the game had ended with less than 7 points between the teams, they would have had to wait until another time to hijack the analysis with their alternate agenda. 
Their job was to analyse the games of the day.  BTW did they call for Roscommon to be removed from the Connaught championship?

cornafean

The late, great Raymond Smith wrote in the Sunday Independent in May 1993 that Clare should not be in the Munster Hurling Championship and concluded by saying "I will not travel to Limerick today to witness another slaughter of the innocents". Clare went on to beat Cork that day.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Rossfan

Quote from: western exile on May 22, 2008, 02:22:04 PM

BTW did they call for Roscommon to be removed from the Connaught championship?

They didnt need to - effin Galway did it for them  :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM