The Championship on the BBC

Started by Donagh, May 19, 2008, 12:00:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

The BBC must have had all of their professionals up in the North West covering the bike racing because that show today was atrocious. I could have got over the 'gremlins' with the features, the poor sound, the droll commentary from Sidebottom, the cheesy suit and ties in the portacabin 'studio' if they had at least given us 70 minutes of wachable moving pictures. I know they've little experience of covering live sports but how hard is it to even get the basics right? Invariably they were giving us close-ups of men running so when a tackle came or a boy slowed to kick the ball, the camera continued in motion and we missed the action. Then there was 'golf' shots of the ball in the air –the cameraman was so focused on showing us the ball in the air we couldn't see the movement on the pitch – McCabes goal being a perfect example.

Let's face it that show can only improve because it honestly can't get any worse.

ONeill

I thought it was fine. A few typical BBC NI gremlins but fair enough.

Anyone notice Burns' constant semi-grin at McHugh? Something very Brokeback about it.

O'Callaghan has an awfully unusual head on him.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Muzz

And so the cmplaints start - First complaining about no GAA being shown and now when it is shown it isnt good enough.

Personally I thought they done alright - to me it is better seeing something than not seeing anything at all.

Others may not agree...

FarneyMan

Yes, its nice to see it rather than nothing at all, but jaysus can they not even get the basics right !  Listening to it yesterday, sidebottom and gormley were way off slobbering about something and in the back round i could here the announcer mentioning that Padraig Reilly had come on as a sub....................5 mins later gormley copped on to this and mentioned it !!!!
To make matters worse about 15 mins into the SECOND HALF, sidebottom mentioned that cavan were starting to make a few changes as Brady and PADRAIG REILLY have both been brought on !!!!!!

Minder

I thought the camera work was very poor, as someone said there were a lot of "golf shots" where they just followed the ball and you had no idea where it was in relation to the pitch. Also was the cameraman looking for somebody in particular in the crowd? I think  there was a Cavan score near the end that was missed as the camera zoomed in on two punters.......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

doire na raithe

Totally agree, very amatuerish indeed. And before anyone gets into the "well at least they're showing it" argument, nobody is saying we'd rather not see it than see it covered poorly but we are entitled to criticise the very poor set-up all round from the BBC.

The camara work in particular was a source of annoyance for myself, it was like those highlights you see of a club championship match where the camara can't get raised high enough so they show all the action zoomed in close. Not to mention the amount of times they 'lost' the ball.

Enda Gormley is extremely hard to listen to and does anyone else hate Thomas Kane?

mattockranger

Also had to laugh at Jarlath Bruns ..........he hasn't a clue !

decided to pick on CJ mcGourty just because he's Cj McGourty
went off on a tangent about him not doing this and that trying to blame him for antrim losing!!!

then martin even copped this.....and said 'jar i think your totally wrong and unfair on CJ the ball wasn't even coming in!'

Jar you are the weakest link............Goodbye! send him out to chat to the fans in their way to the ground and bring Big Joe in!
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

Bensars

I thought the show was ok. Better than nothing.

When mark Sidebottom is commentating it is always cringeworthy.  Remember the Mac Rory final earlier in the year and it was similar.

Cant remember his exact quote, but it was along the lines of " Van Gogh would have been proud of that ".

This man needs a dedicated thread with commentary quotes. It would be some craic at the end of the year

never kickt a ball

BRING BACK JEROME!!!!!!

Like the X factor and Louis Walsh they will need him back.

ziggysego

I'm surprised that with all the technical faults, the fans didn't riot ah-la Rangers FC ;)
Testing Accessibility

orangeman

It wasn't too bad considering they don't really want to show it in the first place.

Minder

Quote from: orangeman on May 19, 2008, 09:44:19 AM
It wasn't too bad considering they don't really want to show it in the first place.

I dont think you should have to just settle for any oul s*ite though, if they are going to do it they should do it properly.......

Onion Bag

Had to turn it off, couldnt listen to that tool sidebottom and gormley, f**k it was terrible
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Minder

Quote from: Onion Bag on May 19, 2008, 09:49:44 AM
Had to turn it off, couldnt listen to that tool sidebottom and gormley, f**k it was terrible

Sidebottom is actually a good lad and is a proper Gaa man, he just isnt a very good commentator.

Fuzzman

What sort of name is Sidebottom anyway?
Where's his clan fray hi?

Watched a bit of it before I had to head out but the match itself was poor standard and thought Gormley's voice is indeed annoying Sur

Some strange camera shots alright and ye'd think they put their weakest Rookie crew on to get some practice or else they weren't used to recording moving targets
As for saying it's better than nothing.. FFS lads that's like saying Jade Goody is better than Pamela.