Leinster Football Championship 1/4 Final - Laoise v Wicklow

Started by The Real Laoislad, May 18, 2008, 03:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Real Laoislad

After this aftenoon's great result for the Garden County they now face Laois
To be honest after watching Kildare today i would nearly be rather playing them they were that bad
Would expect Laois to win but im sure they will make it tough and Micko will want to put one over another of his former sides
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Denn Forever

KIildare were supposed to win.  Wicklow looked good, focused.  It'll be tough.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

The Real Laoislad

For some reason i just assumed this was going to be in Croke Park
Not so it seems its on Saturday May 31st in Dr Cullen Park,Carlow and may be live on TV3
You'll Never Walk Alone.

AZOffaly

I'm glad it's in Carlow. The more early provincial rounds played out of Croker the better. It'd be like old times. Smaller grounds with better atmosphere instead of eerie echoes knocking around Croke Park. Yesterdays games should have been in Carlow and Newbridge or Portlaoise.

With Longford, Tullamore and Carlow being used for championship games this year, I hope the trend continues next year. Where are Meath and Wexford going to play? I presume Dublin Louth is in Croker?

laoisgaa

Quotemay be live on TV3
Game is live on RTÉ2 and RTÉ.ie - TV3 coverage doesn't kick-off until the following day with Clare/Waterford in the Munster SHC

QuoteWhere are Meath and Wexford going to play? I presume Dublin Louth is in Croker?

Meath/Wexford is in Carlow on June 1st and add in O'Moore Park being used for three hurling games this year and the Dublin/Westmeath v Wexford Leinster SHC Semi-final on June 14th in Nowlan Park or Mullingar, Leinster hasn't had this many games outside Croker since the 90's

Dublin/Louth is indeed in Croker.

The Real Laoislad

This a big loss for us  :(

Quigley out of Wicklow tie

Brendan Quigley is almost certainly out of Laois' championship opener against Wicklow on Saturday week (May 31) after he suffered a serious injury at work on Monday.
Quigley, who works as a carpenter, fell through a skylight on a site in Timahoe on Monday morning and was rushed immediately to Portlaoise General Hospital where he has been detained and is unlikely to be released until the weekend.

He suffered serious concussion and face injuries and although he is expected to make a full recovery, the chances of him featuring for Laois against Wicklow are very slim. And, given the nature of his injuries, he could yet be ruled out of Laois' entire championship campaign.

The news is a huge blow to Laois' championship hopes as Quigley would have been a certain starter for Laois and offers a range of options at midfield and full-forward.

With Noel Garvan already ruled out as he attempts to recover from a long-term injury and Padraig Clancy also struggling with an ankle injury it leaves Laois in a situation where they could have to line out against Wicklow with two championship debutants in midfield - John O'Loughlin and Kevin Meaney.

In other injury news, Mark Timmons is also in a race against time to be fit for the Wicklow game in Dr Cullen Park. Timmons didn't feature for Laois in either of their last two challenge matches because of injury and then exam commitments while Joe Higgins has also picked up a groin injury but should be fit to start against Wicklow.

That game will see Laois meet Mick O'Dwyer who guided Wicklow to their first championship win in Croke Park last weekend. They beat Kildare by 0-13 to 0-9 and will now be looking to repeat the feats of their U-21 footballers who beat Laois in the Leinster quarter-final back in March
You'll Never Walk Alone.

his holiness nb

Read that about Quigly, big blow for Laois but to be honest, given the details, he is lucky to be looking forward to a comeback at all.

Apparantly the game is in Carlow to accomodate the Celine Dion concert in Croke park!

Micko was giving out about it.

Laois to win confortably.
Ask me holy bollix

The Real Laoislad

Gone for 8 weeks now  :'(

Quigley to miss Leinster campaign

Brendan Quigley's work accident will rule him out of Laois' championship campaign for eight weeks.
The Timahoe man, who works as a carpenter, fell through a skylight on Monday.
The prognosis means the former Aussie Rules recruit will play no part in the O'Moore men's push for a first Leinster title since 2003.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

AZOffaly

Thank God it's only 8 weeks. That could have been tragic.

laoisgaa

Wicklow will win this game and all Laois teams (football and hurling) will be gone out of Leinster Championship action by the end of May. It looks like we may rely on Ladies Football and Camogie for success this year

AZOffaly

That's quite a bold statement Coilin. Any particular reason for it? Or is this the Laois version of the Offaly understatement?

laoisgaa

Just feel something isn't right at present - luck ain't with us - Brendan Quigley falling through the skylight is a massive blow. Wicklow aren't going to want to be one hit wonders and will want to build on that Kildare win. Having said that though Dr Cullen Park is a happy hunting ground so hopefully I'll be made eat my words.

redsetanta

Laois (SF v Wicklow): M Nolan; C Healy, M Timmons, J Higgins; T Kelly, D Rooney, P McMahon; P Clancy, J O'Loughlin; R Munnelly, B McCormack, B Sheehan; MJ Tierney, C Kelly (St. Josephs), C Parkinson.

Lads, if that Laois team can't beat Wicklow by 5 or 6 points then we can forget about doing anything in the championship. Although we have a few debutants they have Leinster & All Ireland medals and have played in front of big crowds before. There is also pleanty of experinece in there too. A much more talented squad of footballers than Wicklow and believe me they will have the hunger as they have had nothing but bad press this year. They have a point to prove this year as does Kearns.

The only reason anyone is talking up this Wicklow team is because Kildare were so poor!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

magpie seanie

Wicklow will be stubborn opponents. Good midfield (the actual Wicklow lad is as good as if not better than the import) and fast fit forwards and above all else the team has a gameplan and stuck to it the last day. Their backs aren't superb but don't lack heart. All in all Laois should have too much as I couldn't see them being as chronic as Kildare.

AZOffaly

Wicklow normally hit hard as well, which wouldn't suit the lighter Laois forwards, although the like of Sheehan and co will be alright. Laois have more football, end of story, and I think they will win it, because Clancy will win his own share around midfield as well, and Tom Kelly, Joe Higgins and Darren Rooney will handle the Wicklow threats.

I'd be saying Laois by about 5 points.