Credit Rating

Started by Uladh, May 16, 2008, 03:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

I've never had a credit card and decided to apply for one. hape o online companies have turned me down citing credit issues - which i am completely baffled by.

Does anyone know somewhere handy and preferably free to check your CR?

screenexile

It's a bit of a balls Uladh... the thing about credit is is you've never had any it's very difficult to get. i.e. somebody who took out a personal loan of 2 grand and missed 3 payments would have a far superior credit rating than yourself even though you've maybe not been in debt for anything.

Best bet is to try your local bank. They have a better idea through your current account of what you are capable of affording and will be able to give you a Credit Card based on this or at least give you a better explanation as to why you've been turned down.

Candyman

It owuld do no harm to check the experian site and get ur free report!! print it along and bring it with you also. As screen has said though if you've never had credit before its harder to obtain... especially in todays market!!!

Donagh

Most likely turned down because you've never had one. I had to get one with a ridiculously silly rate for a while (cleared every month) before I could get a proper one.

You can get a months free trial with Experian:

http://www.creditexpert.co.uk/index.aspx

Uladh

You need a credit card to get the free rating from those sites....

nifan

I got turned down myself lately - wanted a nationwide debit card as they dont charge you for using or taking money out abroad, and I am out of the country a good bit.

They said according the the credit company I had no info whatsoever - even though I have a credit card (always paid in full though), a car HP, a student loan etc.
Supposed to get in touch with them to find out what the story is, but havent bothere yet!

balladmaker

I recently got one of those letters from Nationwide saying that I had been 'fast tracked' for one of their credit cards with a guaranteed minimum limit of £1000.

I've always meant to get a Nationwide card due to the fact that they don't charge for transactions in foreign countries.  So I signed the form and sent it off.

Three days letter I got this letter from Nationwide saying that my application was declined and that the fact I had been declined would be noted on my credit reference, event though they said that this would not impact any future applications for credit! 

FFS, I was seriously pissed off and paid to get my credit rating checked....low and behold, my credit rating was clean apart from the note that I had been declined by Nationwide for a credit card!!!!! 

What the hell are Nationwide playing at??!  I would'nt mind but I have the mortgage with them.

Minder

Quote from: Uladh on May 16, 2008, 03:56:39 PM

You dont, i have never had a credit card and was able to get th free trial for a month. Another thing to bear in mind Uladh, the more you apply and are declined this will affect your credit rating adversely.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

screenexile

Quote from: balladmaker on May 16, 2008, 04:09:43 PM
I recently got one of those letters from Nationwide saying that I had been 'fast tracked' for one of their credit cards with a guaranteed minimum limit of £1000.

I've always meant to get a Nationwide card due to the fact that they don't charge for transactions in foreign countries.  So I signed the form and sent it off.

Three days letter I got this letter from Nationwide saying that my application was declined and that the fact I had been declined would be noted on my credit reference, event though they said that this would not impact any future applications for credit! 

FFS, I was seriously pissed off and paid to get my credit rating checked....low and behold, my credit rating was clean apart from the note that I had been declined by Nationwide for a credit card!!!!! 

What the hell are Nationwide playing at??!  I would'nt mind but I have the mortgage with them.

I would be slightly worried about that one balladmaker! If you have a mortgage that you haven't missed a payment on you are usually a dead cert for a credit card... especially with only £1000 limit. Very strange one that!

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

There was a pretty good thread on this on the old board, heading out now so don't have time to out for it, if any of you lads want to , post up the link.
Btw, afaik local banks don't appear on your credit report, so having a loan or c/c from them won't help, that used to be the case anyway.

Balladmaker threaten Nationwide with the ombudsman and get them to contact reference agency to remove that declined tag off your record, they misled you into thinking that you had been pre-approved.
Tbc....

balladmaker

QuoteI would be slightly worried about that one balladmaker! If you have a mortgage that you haven't missed a payment on you are usually a dead cert for a credit card... especially with only £1000 limit. Very strange one that!

I've never missed a payment on the mortgage, or credit card which I currently have, personal loans or anything....I reckon Nationwide screwed up in some way.

Candyman

Ulster bank are the only local bank that show up on your ratings!!!

Uladh

Quote from: Minder on May 16, 2008, 04:11:56 PM
Quote from: Uladh on May 16, 2008, 03:56:39 PM

You dont, i have never had a credit card and was able to get th free trial for a month. Another thing to bear in mind Uladh, the more you apply and are declined this will affect your credit rating adversely.

Try it now so. you have to have a CC

nifan

Quote from: balladmaker on May 16, 2008, 04:19:55 PM
QuoteI would be slightly worried about that one balladmaker! If you have a mortgage that you haven't missed a payment on you are usually a dead cert for a credit card... especially with only £1000 limit. Very strange one that!

I've never missed a payment on the mortgage, or credit card which I currently have, personal loans or anything....I reckon Nationwide screwed up in some way.

They told me they basicly get experian to do the test, and they just take their results as they are given them.
I dont even want a credit crad - just a debit card and they still wouldnt give me one.