Tyrone people are thick

Started by ONeill, May 16, 2008, 08:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: Leo on May 16, 2008, 12:49:19 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on May 16, 2008, 12:38:35 PM
I wonder was it a Tyronie who originally summonsed the wrong person to Court? And was it a Tyronie who designed a Legal System so flawed that "Legal technicalities meant she had to pay to get the case thrown out"? Indeed, was it a Tyronie who appointed this asshole to the Judiciary?  :o

Thick and touchy?

Me or the Judge? For the record, I'm not from Tyrone - in fact, I like to take the piss out of them as much as the next person! But I'm not a Magistrate, who can insult innocent people with impunity, indeed fine or even imprison them.

Ask yourself this: What if this had been e.g. an Engish Judge making these remarks? Or, let's say, an NI Judge from an evidently Unionist background, making the same remarks about someone from Monaghan or Donegal? Might the likes of Mr. McElduff might have been slightly more perturbed and extravagant in his condemnation than he was here, where it was "merely" an Irish Judge insulting another Irish person?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

his holiness nb

Quote from: Evil Genius on May 16, 2008, 01:21:04 PM
Ask yourself this: What if this had been e.g. an Engish Judge making these remarks? Or, let's say, an NI Judge from an evidently Unionist background, making the same remarks about someone from Monaghan or Donegal? Might the likes of Mr. McElduff might have been slightly more perturbed and extravagant in his condemnation than he was here, where it was "merely" an Irish Judge insulting another Irish person?

Ah jaysus EG, why????
Ask me holy bollix

SLIGONIAN

Jees if an ordinary joe soap said this you'd be linched. Cant generalise in todays world as everyones different. It is worrying to think a judge would act like this. Makes you wonder does justice exist at all if they have so many preducies going on in there own heads.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

nrico2006

QuoteJees if an ordinary joe soap said this you'd be linched. Cant generalise in todays world as everyones different. It is worrying to think a judge would act like this. Makes you wonder does justice exist at all if they have so many preducies going on in there own heads.

Agree - the ballbag should be struck off too!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

screenexile

For God's sake talk about your bigtime over reactions... Political Correctness gone mad!

haranguerer

I cant believe i'm not gonna stick the boot into tyrone, but anyway...

That judge is a complete arsehole. I've seen numerous reports of him talking tripe and having to apologise. He seems like an idiot always looking for column inches, its just unfortunate hes in a position to get them. Always trying to be controversial. And hes clearly thick too - hes generalising and giving out about intelligence when hes representing a legal system that summonsed the wrong person, and is now going to make her pay to bail herself out for an offence she didn't commit??? Talk about living in a glasshouse!! He also gave out to her for shaking her head when she heard that a different court had to dismiss her, accusing her of disrespect. She showed remarkable patience imo. He should be given the road, the key to any justice system is that people have faith in it, how could you have faith in anything this idiot represents.

ONeill

Irish News

Judge: Tyrone people 'thick' By Staff reporter16/05/08

A JUDGE has branded Ty-rone people "typically thick" during a case in which an innocent woman was brought to court due to mistaken identity.

Judge Sean Martin McBride was speaking at Monaghan District Court on Tuesday.

Sarah McGrath (22), a student from Garvagh Road in Donaghmore, Co Tyrone, had been wrongly summonsed be-cause her name and date of birth were the same as those of a woman from Newbliss, Co Monaghan, who was accused of a public-order offence.

Legal technicalities meant that Ms McGrath still had to pay E50 bail to get the case thrown out in the circuit court.

It was when she explained that she and her father, who had accompanied her to the hearing, had only sterling that the judge accused her of "showing the typical thickness from Tyrone people".

"I am well used to it through football growing up in Donegal and different things," he said.

Ms McGrath's father went to a nearby bank to withdraw the money.

Earlier Judge McBride ac-cused her of disrespecting the court by shaking her head when told that a different court would have to dismiss the case and she would have to pay for the transfer.

Last year he had to apologise for saying during a robbery sentencing that if he had a licensed shotgun he would "blow the head off" anyone who came into his house.

In 2005 he claimed to be "grossly insulted" by a defendant's address which was given as "Londonderry".

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Niall Quinn

Maternally Tyrone with a Pap from Down, I realised almost immediately that Tyrone people were all thick.
It took me a little longer to assimilate that Down people are similarly afflicted.
Neither are Armagh or Derry-thick, but thick nonetheless.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Leo

I wonder was it a Tyronie who originally summonsed the wrong person to Court? And was it a Tyronie who designed a Legal System so flawed that "Legal technicalities meant she had to pay to get the case thrown out"? Indeed, was it a Tyronie who appointed this asshole to the Judiciary?  :o

Thick and touchy?

Me or the Judge? For the record, I'm not from Tyrone - in fact, I like to take the piss out of them as much as the next person! But I'm not a Magistrate, who can insult innocent people with impunity, indeed fine or even imprison them.

Ah I was only taking the Michael.
The Judge may have been wrong both in fact and from point of view of political correctness. McElduff seems intent, however - by his petulance and lack of understanding of the separation of judicial and executive powers - of proving that at least in some cases the Judge might have a point. Then again, democratic niceties are not a strong point with the neo-fascists McE represents.
Fierce tame altogether

Evil Genius

Quote from: Leo on May 16, 2008, 02:44:59 PM

Thick and touchy?

Ah I was only taking the Michael.
The Judge may have been wrong both in fact and from point of view of political correctness. McElduff seems intent, however - by his petulance and lack of understanding of the separation of judicial and executive powers - of proving that at least in some cases the Judge might have a point. Then again, democratic niceties are not a strong point with the neo-fascists McE represents.

Fair enough! Perhaps it was thick of me not to realise - and I'm not even from Tyrone myself... ;)
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

screenexile

Sol: He's a natural, ain't you Tyrone?
    Tyrone: 'Course I am...
    [reverses into parked van]
    Vinny: A natural f**king idiot.

armaghniac

The scandal here is that the learned Judge was calling an entirely innocent person thick. When you weren't involved in any way with the case at hand why should you have to have a particular amount of money with you.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Minder

I know it is wrong to generalise but i think in this case you cant really take issue with anything the judge said, in fact i quite like the cut of his jib......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on May 16, 2008, 04:21:14 PM
The scandal here is that the learned Judge was calling an entirely innocent person thick. When you weren't involved in any way with the case at hand why should you have to have a particular amount of money with you.
No Tyrone person is entirely innocent.