Still no place for gaelic games in NI state school sector

Started by snatter, May 15, 2008, 02:14:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dublinfella

Quote from: armaghniac on May 16, 2008, 07:00:53 PM
QuoteBlacrock College or Terenure described as sectarian for not allowing Gaelic games in their schools.

They do allow Gaelic games. If you came on here and read the regular threads, rather than just stirring sh*t, then you would have seen the thread describing the game between those very two schools.

Not during the Rugby season they don't.

dublinfella

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 16, 2008, 08:43:48 PM

It's not up to the GAA to name clubs, it's up to the people who establish them. 

I think the point that is being made is that the GAA centrally retain control over aspects of all grounds, so why not this one and insist on politically neutral names? The GAA is officially apolitical after all.

If retaining a nationalist identity is more important to GAA members than attracting unionist players, then its time to stop crying foul when non-nationalists don't feel included.

pintsofguinness

I think the point that is being made is that the GAA centrally retain control over aspects of all grounds, so why not this one and insist on politically neutral names? The GAA is officially apolitical after all.
Because those who establish a club can call it whatever they want, I don't see anything wrong with this.
What club names do you have a problem with exactly?

QuoteIf retaining a nationalist identity is more important to GAA members than attracting unionist players, then its time to stop crying foul when non-nationalists don't feel included.
I don't understand what you mean by that.  Who's crying foul?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

magickingdom

how does this...

get turned into this...

Quote from: dublinfella on May 16, 2008, 09:08:20 PM

why bring grounds into it dublinfella? there must be a medical name for whats wrong with you..

Main Street

Quote from: iluvni on May 16, 2008, 08:36:31 PM
When the GAA take the bull by the horns and ensures clubs arent named after the likes of Kevin Lynch, perhaps then there will be much less reluctance to see gaelic footbal or hurling  in state schools.
Another pipsqueak from the DUP dungeons or is it 'one small step'?

Quote from: Solomon Kane on May 16, 2008, 06:03:03 PM
Would anyone have any idea how many RC schools in NI refuse to let kids play "soccer"? I'm not stirring, just curious. Or indeed, if any Rugby schools in the ROI don't play Gaelic games? I know for a fact that there are a depressing amount of state grammar schools in NI which cannot see past rugby or hockey, and will not heed calls from pupils for football. 
Good that you mention that you are asking a serious question.
It is assumed that in general you are on a wind up.

I am not a catholic but I went to a De La Salle school (are they catholic?)
Always Gaelic, but officially we played soccer and rugby Volleyball and basketball from 1972 onwards.
That was South Dublin, afaik it was similar for a lot of secondary schools around.
I can't speak for backward areas like those in North Dublin nor in the outer parts beyond civilization like Mayo etc.

In NI today these tables make interesting reading

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/issues/educ/school10.htm
http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/issues/educ/school9.htm
http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/issues/educ/school8.htm

It would appear that Prods don't like to accentuate their Gaeldom at all.
It would appear that there is very little connection with Irish identity in sports.
It would appear that Catholic schools/students  are multi sport.

SammyG

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 16, 2008, 08:04:34 PM
Quote from: Boolerhead Mel on May 16, 2008, 01:50:49 PM
So when the GAA clubs hire out function rooms to legitimate political parties they are raising money for paramilitaries-what they are doing is no worse than making a few bob. I await Sammy and his mates to also include the Hastings Hotel Group (hiring of function rooms in Europa to SF)  and Belfast City council (hire of Ulster hall to SF) be be branded paramilitary fundraisers. What was the excuse you used when UVF/LVF kicked a man to death outside Tobermore FC-not the IFA's fault as they did no remit over what happened in the club. Away and wind your neck in you p***k-attitudes like yours led to the death of good men Sean Browne to be killed and Gavin Brett to be killed. 
Good point and it's not surprising it was ignored by our mates EG and sammyg.

So do either of you two lads want to answer the above point because I, for one, would be very interested in whether or not you class hotel owners as raising money for paramilitaries. 
Sorry I obviously missed the announcement that hotels were now sporting organisations, rather than commercial entities. Do you have a link?

SammyG

Quote from: iluvni on May 16, 2008, 08:36:31 PM
When the GAA take the bull by the horns and ensures clubs arent named after the likes of Kevin Lynch, perhaps then there will be much less reluctance to see gaelic footbal or hurling  in state schools.

Complete horseshit.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: SammyG on May 16, 2008, 10:40:13 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 16, 2008, 08:04:34 PM
Quote from: Boolerhead Mel on May 16, 2008, 01:50:49 PM
So when the GAA clubs hire out function rooms to legitimate political parties they are raising money for paramilitaries-what they are doing is no worse than making a few bob. I await Sammy and his mates to also include the Hastings Hotel Group (hiring of function rooms in Europa to SF)  and Belfast City council (hire of Ulster hall to SF) be be branded paramilitary fundraisers. What was the excuse you used when UVF/LVF kicked a man to death outside Tobermore FC-not the IFA's fault as they did no remit over what happened in the club. Away and wind your neck in you p***k-attitudes like yours led to the death of good men Sean Browne to be killed and Gavin Brett to be killed. 
Good point and it's not surprising it was ignored by our mates EG and sammyg.

So do either of you two lads want to answer the above point because I, for one, would be very interested in whether or not you class hotel owners as raising money for paramilitaries. 
Sorry I obviously missed the announcement that hotels were now sporting organisations, rather than commercial entities. Do you have a link?
Many GAA clubs act like commercial entities too, don't you get that or does it not suit your agenda?

SammyG

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 16, 2008, 10:42:58 PM
Many GAA clubs act like commercial entities too, don't you get that or does it not suit your agenda?
So they're commercial entities when it comes to 'freedom fighters' but they're strictly controlled when it comes to controversial stuff, like letting the local kids football team, rent a pitch? Excellent, glad you cleared that up. ::)

pintsofguinness

Quote from: SammyG on May 16, 2008, 10:46:49 PM
So they're commercial entities when it comes to 'freedom fighters' but they're strictly controlled when it comes to controversial stuff, like letting the local kids football team, rent a pitch? Excellent, glad you cleared that up. ::)

No, there's rules against what's played on the pitches - no rules against what rents out premises for the functions.

Lar Naparka

QuoteBlacrock College or Terenure described as sectarian for not allowing Gaelic games in their schools.

They do allow Gaelic games. If you came on here and read the regular threads, rather than just stirring sh*t, then you would have seen the thread describing the game between those very two schools.

QuoteNot during the Rugby season they don't.

I'm coming in late on this cultural exchange and I don't want to take sides or anything; I've been up to my oxters in the Ciaran McDonald controversy on this and other boards and I need a breather.
But there's a point I think that needs a follow up on.
Blackrock may not allow Gaelic during the rugby season but then all sports are catered for within their own seasonsthere and in and other rugby playing schools. Rugby has its own season and games are over before the beginning of May- maybe there are exceptional reasons for prolonging the playing of rugby but, off hand, I never heard of this. Cricket and Soccer have their own fixed periods - so I am told by a gamesmaster at Blackrock.
I know some seasons have to overlap but the main emphasis is always on academic studies and pupillls are discouraged from having a go at too many different sports.
I know that the trad rugby schools have a policy of allowing access to any sport for which there is a demand in order to widen the pupils' "cultural experience." (That's what I was told anyway.)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

dublinfella

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 16, 2008, 09:11:58 PM

Because those who establish a club can call it whatever they want, I don't see anything wrong with this.
What club names do you have a problem with exactly?

Nor do I, but if GAA clubs want to name grounds after Republican figures, it will alienate unionists. This is not rocket science.

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 16, 2008, 09:11:58 PMI don't understand what you mean by that.  Who's crying foul?

Have you read this thread? Posters are giving out that the GAA is not being welcomed into state schools yet arent willing to remove political baggage that will enable them to.

Its a straightforward choice.

dublinfella

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 16, 2008, 10:54:08 PM

No, there's rules against what's played on the pitches - no rules against what rents out premises for the functions.

I think thats his point

deiseach

Quote from: dublinfella on May 17, 2008, 03:56:44 AM
Posters are giving out that the GAA is not being welcomed into state schools yet arent willing to remove political baggage that will enable them to.

Has anyone in authority said that Gaelic games cannot be played in state schools because of the GAA's "political baggage"? Presumably they would be guided by official policy framed by specific legislation which we can all study to assess how the GAA can react to it. Please direct us to either where the authorities have said as much or the appropriate statute.

SammyG

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 16, 2008, 10:54:08 PM
Quote from: SammyG on May 16, 2008, 10:46:49 PM

Actually rule 8 says

"Non-Party Political/Non-Sectarian
(a) The Association shall be non-party
political. Party political questions shall not
be discussed at its meetings, and no
Committee, Club, Council or
represenative thereof shall take part, as
such, in any party political movement. A
penalty of up to twenty four weeks
suspension may be imposed for
infringement.
(b) The Association shall be non-sectarian"