Credit where its due

Started by T Fearon, May 15, 2008, 10:15:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longshanks

Yeah I agree I think it is a sincere gesture also Walter Smith knew him very well through the international job and all his years coaching in Scotland, why cant you just see it as a sincere gesture to his family and friends and anyone connected with him. ??? ???

Dannymcfella

Quote from: T Fearon on May 15, 2008, 12:29:26 PM
In a curious way, there is a special bond between Celtic and Rangers, especially when a legend from either side passes on, and those of us of a certain age remember how both clubs came together to play in a benefit game after the Ibrox disaster in the early 70s.

In normal times however the intense rivalry will always remain and thats why the fixture will always be one of the tops in World Football

Your having a laugh, I will mention the 'big jock knew' slander campaign by the Rangers fans, and I will leave it at that

BennyHarp

Would they have called off the parade had they won?

Its easy to call off a victory parade when you've just lost - cant imagine the players wanted to parade through Glasgow having just been beaten in the final! I reckon a good bit of "making the most of a bad situation"!
That was never a square ball!!

T Fearon

Danny, I am not saying that every Rangers or Celtic fan is level headed, sane, reasonable. But there is a special bond between the two sides at times like this. I remember Joh Greig and a few others attending Jinky's funeral and Bobby Murdoch's, and similarly Charlie Nicholas attending Davie Cooper's funeral.

But just as there are so called Celtic "fans" who lyrically implore Nacho Novo to die instantly, there are also so called Rangers "fans" who will denigrate the memory of Big Jock, sadly.

I firmly believe this to be a sincere gesture on behalf of Rangers FC

Dannymcfella

Quote from: BennyHarp on May 15, 2008, 12:51:39 PM
Would they have called off the parade had they won?

Its easy to call off a victory parade when you've just lost - cant imagine the players wanted to parade through Glasgow having just been beaten in the final! I reckon a good bit of "making the most of a bad situation"!

Spot on! No1 is denying Walter Smith and Ally McCoist are good friends with Tommy but it is as you say rangers making the most of a bad situation

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Have to agree with dannymcfella and bennyharp on this one, while credit is due to rangers for wrapping this up as a gesture for TB, would this parade have actually gone ahead anyway, given that they got beaten and wrecked Manchester and what was left of their reputation. Also 20+ rangers fans were arrested in Glasgow last night, it's not getting much mention on the media though.
Tbc....

Hardy

I opened this thread by mistake - I wouldn't normally be reading either threads about Glasgow soccer or threads with Tony Fearon's name on them. Imagine my amazement when I find Tony has something positive and even reasonable to say. I feel the need to celebrate, so for no reason at all, other than the fact that it's very funny and that I've trained myself to think of Rab C. Nesbitt when Glasgow is mentioned, instead of Celtic-Rangers (and the fact that Rab looks a bit like my mental image of Tony) I hope you all enjoy this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nrmcxa1yBec