RIP Tommy Burns

Started by mhacadoir, May 15, 2008, 08:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mhacadoir

It is with great sadness that Celtic Football Club confirmed this morning that Tommy Burns has passed away.  Tommy, a true Celtic Legend and wonderful man will be sadly missed by us all.  Clearly, our thoughts are very much with Tommy's wife Rosemary and his family at this extremely difficult time.     

Ar dheis sé go raibh a anam dilis

YNWA

Boolerhead Mel

Very sad to hear of the death of a hoops legend. Tommy always conducted himself with great dignity and was respected by all in the game. A gentleman on and of the pitch. I hope his family get through this difficult time.

YNWA

Mickey Linden

Couldnt believe the news when I heard it this morning! Seemed like a true gentleman of the game and was a real Celtic legend!

May he rest in Peace!

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

Was shocked to hear this and have left a tribute on the Rangers thread. I knew he was ill but I never knew it was life threatening. Had the pleasure of meeting him on a few occasions as he was patron of the Celtic Supporters Club in Portadown. A nicer guy you couldn't meet

Doogie Browser

RIP Tommy, a great club man and will be sadly missed. 

clarshack

very sad indeed. RIP Tommy.

BennyHarp

Jaysus thats a shock - I didnt realise he was that ill at all!

RIP - Tommy a true legend!
That was never a square ball!!

T Fearon

There was supposed to be a dinner in his honour at the Hilton in Glasgow four or five weeks ago and it was cancelled at very short notice. I suppose that should have given us an inkling. but I suppose the club didn't want to make a fuss and Tommy himself wouldn't have wanted this either. A great shock.

My abiding memory of him was the 1977 Scottish Cup Final, when he was 18 or 19, and was sub. When Dalglish got the cup he and his teammates ran across to a beaming Jock Stein and there was this little boy almost in his tracksuit in the middle of them,with mad red hair that none of us knew, as proud as punch

illdecide

Pure shock, i didn't think he was that ill that he would pass away.

Tommy you are and always will be a legend.

RIP
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

SammyG

Very sad news, hadn't even heard that he was seriously ill.

balladmaker

My God, I hadn't even heard he was ill never mind seriously ill.  He was only diagnosed in March and died just two months later.  Awful tragedy for somone who was still only 51.  I can't begin to imagine what people must go through when they are given such news, hopefully we will never find out.  May he rest in peace.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Tommy has been fighting Cancer for a number of years now.

Goodbye Tommy, you were a great servant for God and for Celtic - you will be missed by one and all.

R.I.P
Tbc....

Uladh

Terrible news. Heard Jim Kerr almost in tears this morning delivering a glowing tribute about tommy.

A humble man and a great servant to scottish football, particularly celtic football club.

JimStynes

Terrible news.

RIP Tommy