Who should we be watching for?

Started by Armaghtothebone, May 13, 2008, 05:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armaghtothebone

Any new faces from within your own county who you reckon will really step up this year and make a name for themselves.

In Armagh I reckon Charlie Vernon or Tony Kernan are the 2 best prospects.

I'd be interested to know if the suggestions are up and coming county minors/u21's or just great club players due a chance at a higher level. 

his holiness nb

Eamon Fennel would be the obvious choice for the Dubs. I'd also expect Dermot Connolly to step up to the mark this year.
Ask me holy bollix

ExiledGael

Fennell was excellent when I seen the Dubs this year, but can't see Pillar starting him too often.
From what I've seen of the Ulster sides pre-season and League-
Mark Lynch has had a good year so far, particularly with UUJ, and has been threatening for years to be All-Star material. He could be the difference for Derry to push on to next level.
Paul McComiskey could cause Tyrone quite a few problems in Omagh for Down and Dan Gordon, though nothing new, appears to be playing well so far.
CJ McGourty showed glimpses of his class last year, and if he can shake off injury and get a few Championship games he could show the country how good he is.
The Kernan family, especially Tony and Stephen. Could fire Armagh to another Ulster especially with Clarke fit again. Think we've almost forgotten how good he is, the Orchard's far too quiet for my liking.
Seanie Johnston had an amazing league, no matter who was marking him. Can't carry Cavan though.
For ourselves Mark Murphy showed in the NFL final how good he can be. Ryan McCluskey at the back is the coolest player in possession you will see and rarely wastes a ball. Up front Eamon Maguire will be our main troublemaker.

shark

Quote from: ExiledGael on May 13, 2008, 06:28:27 PM

Seanie Johnston had an amazing league, no matter who was marking him.

Kieran Gavin held him scoreless from play.

his holiness nb

Quote from: shark on May 13, 2008, 06:44:29 PM

How many times did he give away a point by fouling him? (seriously I dont know)
If he did, then it may as well have been from play.

Ask me holy bollix

ONeill

Mark Lynch of Derry to finally come of age this year.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

AN other

I don't recall Kieran Gavin giving away too many fouls against Johnston, he's not normally a big fouler anyhow. I'd never have thought of mentioning Kieran Gavin in this thread (possibly because he is a defender (at the moment anyhow)) but he could well be one to watch this year. Certainly started the championship brightly against Kavanagh.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

ExiledGael

Quote from: ziggysego on May 13, 2008, 08:26:33 PM
Mulligan

Is that Emlyn of Leitrim who hit 11 points on Sunday in the Big Apple? Couldn't be that old lumbersome Tyrone forward

FermPundit

I would be hopeful enough that James Sherry could have a good campaign for Fermanagh. He's an outstanding talent who has been relatively quiet since minor level bar the good run of 04.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

The Real Laoislad

Last year i said MJ Teirney of Laois and i was somewhat proved right
This year i will say John O'Loughlin of Laois,A big strong youngfella something that is rare in Laois,I expect him to have a good season
You'll Never Walk Alone.

shark

Quote from: his holiness nb on May 13, 2008, 07:28:18 PM

Thats a fair point about fouling, but in this case Gavin fouled Johnston once and the free was missed.  The lad is a serious talent at only 19, not always out in front but a brilliant tackler and very strong in the air considering he is short of 6 foot.
The only time this year he has looked under pressure this year was against Dunning of Roscommon.  McNamee will be his biggest test.

Dont know if there are any Tipp men on the board, but they have an 18yr old playing at corner back called Ciaran McDonald who looks a great prospect.  Didnt see the Munster U-21 final but by all accounts he was excellent on Walsh from Kerry.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: shark on May 13, 2008, 10:07:56 PM

Thats a fair point about fouling, but in this case Gavin fouled Johnston once and the free was missed.  The lad is a serious talent at only 19, not always out in front but a brilliant tackler and very strong in the air considering he is short of 6 foot.
The only time this year he has looked under pressure this year was against Dunning of Roscommon.  McNamee will be his biggest test.

Dont know if there are any Tipp men on the board, but they have an 18yr old playing at corner back called Ciaran McDonald who looks a great prospect.  Didnt see the Munster U-21 final but by all accounts he was excellent on Walsh from Kerry.

I'm sure the lad is a good back but W'meath played a double marker on Johnstone and filtered a lot of men back that day so it was very hard for Cavan to get good ball into Johnstone. I'd like to see how good he would be isolated against a good forward.

Onlooker

Quote from: shark on May 13, 2008, 10:07:56 PM

Ciaran McDonald played Minor last year, so, as you say, he is 18.  He played for Tipp in a number of games in the National League, and he was very good indeed in the Munster Under 21 Final, marking Tommy Walsh.  He has impreessed me any time that I have seen him play.  This year might be a bit soon to expect him to star, bur I have no doubt that he will be a very fine defender in a year or two.

North Longford

QuoteI'm sure the lad is a good back but W'meath played a double marker on Johnstone and filtered a lot of men back that day so it was very hard for Cavan to get good ball into Johnstone. I'd like to see how good he would be isolated against a good forward.

I'd say it was quite similar with Longford. Not so much exactly a double marker but one man standing in front and half of county Westmeath filtering back. Early on Kavanagh semed to have the beating of him but kicked about 3 bad wides and 5 overall which is a lot for him and if he had kicked the scores which he could have done on a good day then the full backs performance might have been looked at differently.
In fairness to the full back I was close to them in the second half and he did stick very tight. I also thought though that some of the ball directed to Kavanagh did the full back more favours than Kavanagh..........................all that being said I'd quite happily have him transfer to Longford.