Attendances this year

Started by theskull1, May 13, 2008, 01:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maguire01

Quote from: glenullinabu on June 25, 2008, 10:43:52 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 25, 2008, 06:16:35 PM
Quote from: gaagaa on June 25, 2008, 01:52:24 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 21, 2008, 08:24:46 PM
And about 70-75% Fermanagh by the look of it.  I don't think it was the Saturday night thing - BBC tried to take that angle.  the fact is that the weather was crap, the game was on TV, and Derry supporterswouldn't leave the house if the game was at the bottom of the garden.

half of derry has no work at the minute

Have you the stats for that? Is Fermanagh's employment rate significantly higher (considering also Derry's much larger population)?
Also, has half of Derry been out of work forever? Because they've never supported in large numbers.

you need to be living in cookoo land to know what the work situation is.  maybe quinn employs half of fermanagh?
derry doesnt have a big gaa base anyway
My point was simply that economic hardship is not limited to Derry. I doubt Fermanagh people are significantly better off.
As for your observation that Derry doesn't have a big GAA base - Derry has 40 clubs, Fermanagh has 22.

ExiledGael

31,050 in Clones. Pity about the game just.

Maguire01

I'd assume a full house for the final would see overall attendances in Ulster up on last year?

armaghniac

As Armagh are generally involved in the better attended games, last year wasn't a good year for crowds as they played only one game and that in a venue that reduced the attendance.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on June 29, 2008, 10:17:00 PM
As Armagh are generally involved in the better attended games, last year wasn't a good year for crowds as they played only one game and that in a venue that reduced the attendance.
Eh, rewind there.  Sure Big Joe gave you lot a bollockin' for sending 2,000 tickets back for that game, after all of your crying!

armaghniac

QuoteSure Big Joe gave you lot a bollockin' for sending 2,000 tickets back for that game

Whatever you think about people who didn't go, had the game been  in a reasonable ground he would not have had this cause for complaint and overall attendances would have been up.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Maguire01

Quote from: armaghniac on June 29, 2008, 10:45:46 PM
QuoteSure Big Joe gave you lot a bollockin' for sending 2,000 tickets back for that game

Whatever you think about people who didn't go, had the game been  in a reasonable ground he would not have had this cause for complaint and overall attendances would have been up.
Do you mean if the game had been closer to home?

thejuice

Looks like the Leinster hurling final wont be in Croke Park now. I guess the Wexford fans are putting all their chips on the football team. Pity but can we expect anything other than an anihilation of Wexford by the Cats?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

TBT

the Munster Council had a 2 for 1 ticket offer on Ticketmaster for the Munster football final last few days to halt the attendence decline.

Tyrone Dreamer

48,000 at the hurling and 31,000 at the football today. Not bad at all. The attendances should pick up nicely from here on in. Next weekend should see around 150,000 attend championship matches. I'd say those running soccer and rugby would love attendances like these for their domestic competitions.

magickingdom

today is the first time the gaelic grounds in limerick has been full. 12k at the cork/dub hurling and 9k at the limerick/offaly hurling last night

Tyrone Dreamer

The gaelic grounds looked well today. Pity it couldnt be filled more often for big championship matches.

Jinxy

Yeah I thought the gaelic grounds looked class today. Great colour too.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Over 12k in Newbridge to watch Kildare on Saturday night, fantastic effort from the Kildare supporters. Don't think any county that hasn't been in a provincial final for 5 years or had only won 1 competitive game all year bar Dublin would have that support.  8)
#newbridgeornowhere

Rossfan

Good turn out alright Dinny - especially as about 50% of Kildare's population are blow ins and most of the rest are all off horse racing. :P
About 6,000 in Ballybofey.
4,500 at Drogheda and Limerick while the attendances looked sparse enough in Tullamore,Longford and scenic Ardfinnan.
Clones looked empty enough too but as it's a 35,000 capacity 5 or 6 000 would look lost there.
just over 30,000 at the hurling double bill.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM