Euro 2008 Austria/Switzerland Official Thread

Started by The Real Laoislad, May 12, 2008, 05:36:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Gabriel_Hurl

Are we running a Fantasy competition on the board for Euro 2008?

I can set one up if you want

Niall Quinn

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on June 02, 2008, 09:56:05 PM
Are we running a Fantasy competition on the board for Euro 2008?

I can set one up if you want

There's one on the go Gabe:

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=7795.45
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

Shortso79

Billys Boots

Bad blow for Italia!

From uefa.com:
Italy lose captain Cannavaro by Paolo Menicucci from Milan

The Italy captain Fabio Cannavaro has been ruled out of UEFA EURO 2008™ after rupturing ligaments in his left ankle during the Azzurri's first training session at their base in Modling, Austria yesterday. Coach Roberto Donadoni reacted by calling in the ACF Fiorentina defender Alessandro Gamberini.

Chiellini tackle
The 34-year-old Real Madrid CF centre-back, capped 116 times, sustained the knock following a tackle by fellow defender Giorgio Chiellini and was carried off the field on a stretcher. Italy doctor Paolo Zeppilli said he feared that the injury was "not minor" and so it proved as hospital tests confirmed the extent of the damage.

Big boots
Gamberini joins up with the squad having won two previous caps. The 26-year-old may have big boots to fill – Cannvaro skippered Italy to FIFA World Cup glory in 2006 – but the former Bologna FC defender can take confidence from a consistent season during which he appeared 40 times in Serie A and the UEFA Cup for the Viola.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Chrisowc

Quote from: ONeill on June 05, 2008, 05:22:12 PM

Poland crank it up.

That's pretty shocking stuff :o

To think that the English media were being criticized for their xenophobia at the beginning of this thread regarding their coverage/lack of coverage.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

lurganblue

they are starting to get very nervous over here about Sunday and quite a few people are talking about hooligans and the high possibility of trouble...
What you think? would be much of a possibility of trouble at a big major event these days (considering rangers arent in it, and the big screens will most probably work)

Doogie Browser

Quote from: Chrisowc on June 05, 2008, 05:28:48 PM
Quote from: ONeill on June 05, 2008, 05:22:12 PM

Poland crank it up.

That's pretty shocking stuff :o

To think that the English media were being criticized for their xenophobia at the beginning of this thread regarding their coverage/lack of coverage.

That was me Chris, didn't think my comments would have gone so far!  That is shocking from the Polish press though and I see Benhakker apologised for this yesterday. 

Back on topic, I am plumping for Portugal, dark horses for me are Sweden (though have to meet Group of death opponents in QF).

lurganblue

thought i´d post some pics i took of the Fan Mile in Vienna today.  There wasnt all that many people about yet but i´m sure there will be in an hour or so

and the biggest Austria supporter around...

Shortso79

Good photos - lurgan blue - keep us updated on the banter

doire na raithe

lurganblue

right lads so i took a walk down to the fan mile tonight to watch the two games.  There is obviously a lot of turkish support already in the city (vienna) but the croats, germans and polish had all arrived which made for a good atmosphere during the games. i took a few pics...

the all important beer stall. first stop

the turkish fans singing and dancing, they always have one person leading the party for some reason?

the atmosphere was good tonight but i´m expecting it too be a lot better tomorrow as the games are actually in Vienna.

On the games themselves tonight i thought switzerland were at least worth a draw if not more but portugal were well worth their win.  Still i think it was a quiet enough start to the tournament

The Real Laoislad

I thought Portugal were excellent tonight,You'd think by Ray Houghton they were brutal...
Some lovely passing moves and a great first goal especially for a centre back! what was he doing that high up the pitch..Imagine Paul McShane starting a move and scoring like that..Great goal
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Norf Tyrone

Quiet enough start as Lurgan states.

The Swiss were a wee bit unlucky, with Cech saving one or two of their efforts. The Portugese were very good, although it'll be interesting to see how poor Turkey are as they looked dire tonight. My main interest was Bosingwa's performance. Thought he looked good going forward, but would need to see a good left winger at him to make up final judgement.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone