Author Topic: The Sunday Game  (Read 599232 times)

BennyCake

• View Profile
Re: The Sunday Game
« Reply #6210 on: September 05, 2019, 11:23:53 AM »
I actually rate Ciaran Whelan very highly as an analyst.  He talks a lot of sense and of course you'll expect him to be a bit biased when Dublin are playing.  he's not someone who signed for them for a few years, but a living, breathing Dub, so that will always come out and what helps to make it interesting.

I think they're all quite good, but Joe Brolly simply has no self awareness whatsoever.  He doesn't know how to listen, how to absorb someone else's point and respond rationally and logically to it.  He interrupts, shows poor manners and always wants the show to be about him.  He has some great insights, but I think people have caught him on and he has crossed the tipping point where he's not taken seriously now at all.

McStay definitely the best of them all.

McStay has done the management stint, picked up a trophy. So he has plenty of respect.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wvGVM0CUHWs

Whelan should have got a month in Jail for this one.

And another month for his karate kick, and another for elbowing the Westmeath player on the ground, and another for busting the Meath man’s nose after 2 seconds.........

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #6211 on: September 10, 2019, 01:30:29 PM »
I read that as Deano lined up to strike that sideline ball to win the record 5 in a row for the Dubs, about 1.1m were tuned in to those moments in time on TV.
Also reported by RTE was that there were 161,000 streams of the game  on the RTE player. That seems an incredible number of streams to facilitate, I don't know how that works or is made to work but RTE appear to have done very well in that regard.

Fionntamhnach

• "If I won the award for laziness, I'd send somebody to pick it up for me."
    • View Profile
« Reply #6212 on: September 10, 2019, 02:41:41 PM »
Also reported by RTE was that there were 161,000 streams of the game  on the RTE player. That seems an incredible number of streams to facilitate, I don't know how that works or is made to work but RTE appear to have done very well in that regard.

How many of those streams I wonder were from those outside Ireland using VPNs? ;)
Nevertheless I concur, that's a big streaming number to handle for a broadcaster the size of RTÉ and for it to not collapse under its own weight meant that they did their homework at Donnybrook. There are quite a few times when RTÉ (often deservedly so) come in for criticism, but praise should be due when it's warranted.
Fighting against ignorance on the internet since 1999. It's just taking longer than I hoped.

GalwayBayBoy

• No show like a Joe show!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6213 on: September 10, 2019, 03:14:41 PM »
RTÉ confirm All-Ireland football final punditry panels, Joe Brolly absent from line-up.

Live show: Pat Spillane, Ciaran Whelan, Stephen Rochford.

Radio: Alan Brogan, Conor McManus, Colm Cooper.

Nighttime show: Colm O'Rourke, Sean Cavanagh, Tomás Ó Sé.

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #6214 on: September 10, 2019, 04:00:39 PM »
RTÉ confirm All-Ireland football final punditry panels, Joe Brolly absent from line-up.

Live show: Pat Spillane, Ciaran Whelan, Stephen Rochford.

Radio: Alan Brogan, Conor McManus, Colm Cooper.

Nighttime show: Colm O'Rourke, Sean Cavanagh, Tomás Ó Sé.

A strong Kerry presence!

rrhf

• View Profile
« Reply #6215 on: September 11, 2019, 08:11:11 AM »
Time for a bring Back Joe campaign.. whats needed is a song and a flag..

rrhf

• View Profile
« Reply #6216 on: September 11, 2019, 08:12:32 AM »
Conor’s sketches just laid off 4 staff, blaming Brexit,  ;D

Owen Brannigan

• View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: September 15, 2019, 11:13:37 AM »
Team of the Year

Cluxton

Fitzsimmons  -  McNamee  -  O'Sullivan

Durcan  -  Boyle  -  McCaffrey

Fenton  -  Moran

Murphy  -  O'Shea  -  Howard

Mannion  -  McShane  -  O'Callaghan

Clifford, O'Brien, Kilkenny???

McNamee?? How did Cavanagh get such an influence? Any Dublin or Mayo back was far superior.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #6218 on: September 15, 2019, 02:13:06 PM »
Why no footage from the winners hotel (bar the MOTM presentation)?

Nanderson

• View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: September 15, 2019, 03:26:24 PM »
Why no footage from the winners hotel (bar the MOTM presentation)?
Think they didn't get to the hotel until late. When the Sunday Game highlights was live, the Dublin players were still on the bus according to Instagram

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #6220 on: September 16, 2019, 01:50:21 AM »
It wasn't the sunday game but just how cringe worthy was it at half time in the Ladies final to have Marty Morrissey shouting into the stadium microphone to the crowd to become enraptured with Marty the micro stud about an attendance statistic.

BennyCake

• View Profile
« Reply #6221 on: September 16, 2019, 10:06:28 AM »
It wasn't the sunday game but just how cringe worthy was it at half time in the Ladies final to have Marty Morrissey shouting into the stadium microphone to the crowd to become enraptured with Marty the micro stud about an attendance statistic.

Was Daithi busy?

Keyser soze

• View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: September 16, 2019, 11:16:34 AM »
Holy H Christ but Ger Canning is a complete dose to listen to. His tenth EVER championship appearance, his 79th EVER championship point... this clown gets well paid for this, has been posting it in for a decade at least. His sanguine assumption of Dublin's apparent stroll to the title when they were really on top over the first 15 mins was embarassing.

Though McStay's equally craven assumption of the Dublin superiority is perhaps an good indication of why Roscommon invariably rolled over to Dublin when he was in charge of them. And that's not a pop at Roscommon in any way. And indeed there are lots of other managers in the exact same boat. 
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:19:53 AM by Keyser soze »

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #6223 on: September 16, 2019, 11:17:55 AM »
Just saw the Marty thing there now.
Awful.....
1 BIG CUP and 1 Cupeen so far....

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: September 16, 2019, 12:26:51 PM »
I began watching the final on RTE,  the audio balance between crowd noise and commentary was spot on but unfortunately the audio was out of sync with the video. I switched over to Sky where the crowd noise was muted in favour of the commentary. That sky commentary is irritating,the same old very predictable rehashed phrases are used to describe the play, the co commentary was  mogadon inspired. I'd say Daragh Maloney should be given the AI final  commentary for RTE.