Author Topic: The Sunday Game  (Read 524970 times)

Captain Obvious

• View Profile
Re: The Sunday Game
« Reply #5490 on: May 18, 2018, 12:11:07 AM »
For FŻck sake stop calling our CHAMPIONSHIP a"Cup competition".
Anyway any competition will favour the stronger teams unless you bring in handicapping.
For all its good points the NFL is a pre season tournament.
We have grumpy one here! Its a cup competition deal with it.

The journey for a lot counties can be as interesting as the final destination for the winners. Every sport should have at least two well run and important tournaments so do yourself a favour and can stop calling the NFL a pre season tournament.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: May 18, 2018, 10:26:57 AM »
The truth is I'd watch Offaly v Wicklow if it was an Intermediate game or a Junior game. It would mean something. Two sides well matched going at it.
The fact that the winner is going to get hammered by Dublin or Kildare makes the game a non event.

Anyway these Div 4 & 3 sides don't want a tiered championship, so a good old fashioned u-12 hosing is what they deserve. 30 points+ please!

Rossfan

• Ballaghaderreen CO ROSCOMMON
    • View Profile
    • Roscommon County Board official website
« Reply #5492 on: May 18, 2018, 10:55:04 AM »
Captain - how will I do myself a favour by not referring to the NFL as a pre season tournament?
Will I have good luck for the rest of the year? Or will the GAABOARD mods send me some money or what?

The NFL IS a pre season tournament played in February and March with experimental or weakened teams not at full fitness.
It's still a decent competition but has to be taken for what it is.
And Captain does your soccer orientated mind still think  Championship is a "Cup competition " seeing as the last 8 is on a group basis?
2018- 2 Cupeens won, 2 to go.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: May 18, 2018, 10:59:09 AM »
They are different but not as different as you think.

People supporting top tier teams wouldn't have that much interest in lower tier games.

Remember the tommy murphy cup?
How many people are interested in the championship before September?

Last year was crap. The four 2017 provincial finals had an average winning margin of 0-9, the four quarterfinals concluded with an average margin of 0-15, and the semi-finalsí concluding average was 0-9.

Those biscuits are for the visitors

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: May 18, 2018, 11:00:05 AM »

People supporting top tier teams wouldn't have that much interest in lower tier games.

Last year was crap. The four 2017 provincial finals had an average winning margin of 0-9, the four quarterfinals concluded with an average margin of 0-15, and the semi-finalsí concluding average was 0-9.

Are you serious?

Rossfan

• View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: May 18, 2018, 11:05:15 AM »
Seaf is a Galwayman/woman  ;)
The casual gaa fan will only get interested in the SFC from Provincial Finals/Round 4.
Maybe the explosion of televised hurling games might get them interested in the SHC earlier?

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: May 18, 2018, 11:11:50 AM »

Are you serious?
Think about last year. How many memorable matches were there? How many boring mismatches were there? How many counties made progress other than Carlow ? LEinster football is in crisis.
The football championship is shite. The attendances prove it.

AZOffaly

• View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: May 18, 2018, 11:16:34 AM »

Are you serious?
Think about last year. How many memorable matches were there? How many boring mismatches were there? How many counties made progress other than Carlow ? LEinster football is in crisis.

You're conflating the quality of the championship last year with the interest in it. And your standard tack of making sensational one line comments doesn't change the fact that there is a big interest in the championship, whether you like it or not. You said there's no interest before September. That's patently nonsense.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: May 18, 2018, 11:39:29 AM »

Are you serious?

You're conflating the quality of the championship last year with the interest in it. And your standard tack of making sensational one line comments doesn't change the fact that there is a big interest in the championship, whether you like it or not. You said there's no interest before September. That's patently nonsense.

Everyone is interested in their own county and in May there is great anticipation but the product is poor. This summer might well be as forgettable as last summer. Neutrals have no interest in Leinster finals any more. The drop in attendances since 2001 is saying something as well.

Captain Obvious

• View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: May 18, 2018, 01:34:20 PM »
Captain - how will I do myself a favour by not referring to the NFL as a pre season tournament?
Will I have good luck for the rest of the year? Or will the GAABOARD mods send me some money or what?

The NFL IS a pre season tournament played in February and March with experimental or weakened teams not at full fitness.
And Captain does your soccer orientated mind still think  Championship is a "Cup competition " seeing as the last 8 is on a group basis?

Firstly my mind is orientated on common sense and not on any sport and that sport in question is called Association football, Soccer you call it if you are American which i doubt you are?

By doing yourself a favour it might make you become less grumpy when someone corrects you.

Pre season in the O Byrne and McKenna cup. NFL is our secondary full season tournament which at the moment isn't taken serious enough and my point many times is should be made more important.

Last 8 group basic is a prime example of GAA top brass chopping and changing our cup competition (All Ireland football championship) to favour the stronger counties and eliminating underdog from reaching the last 4 as best they can.

Farrandeelin

• Hey buckaroo! How are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5500 on: May 18, 2018, 02:05:21 PM »
And yet Mayo Galway nearly sold out...
The woman in red has the car parked on the slope.

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #5501 on: May 18, 2018, 02:08:15 PM »
And yet Mayo Galway nearly sold out...
I was thinking the same thing. What other significant provincial matches would get that sort of crowd or be that hard to call ?

Cunny Funt

• View Profile
« Reply #5502 on: May 18, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »

Last year was crap. The four 2017 provincial finals had an average winning margin of 0-9, the four quarterfinals concluded with an average margin of 0-15, and the semi-finals’ concluding average was 0-9.

Own view or repeating what Pat Spillane said? If only seafoid you had some tabloid newspaper article to back up your raving.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2018, 02:24:52 PM by Cunny Funt »

Syferus

• View Profile
« Reply #5503 on: May 18, 2018, 02:23:50 PM »

I donít think you quite understand what pre-season refers to.

Rossfan

• View Profile
« Reply #5504 on: May 18, 2018, 04:03:24 PM »
As any real GAA man will tell you Syfīn it's all about what you do after May Day.
And ad for Captain saying only Yanks call the 11 aside stuff Soccer.... 98% of GAA people call it soccer and most non British TV immersed people in Ireland call it Soccer.
So I'll be ignoring your ramblings from now on as your obviously not a GAA person at all.