The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Star for me but Murphy will get it

BennyCake

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 21, 2014, 11:13:00 PM
Star for me but Murphy will get it

I'm glad that bollix Donaghy didn't get it.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 21, 2014, 11:11:07 PM
so we got one in what the last 15 - 20yrs?

Steven McDonnell in 03 asaik

JOD should get it this year, don't think there would be any complaints.

macdanger2

I don't like him but he won the SF and final for kerry

Halfquarter

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 21, 2014, 11:21:00 PM
I don't like him but he won the SF and final for Kerry

Haven't much time for him either, he's a big awkward mullicker, not even the first cousin of a Kerry footballer. Don't know how he got so  fit again, a few weeks ago he was barely able to walk.

mrdeeds

How is Pat Spillane still on panel. Hasn't a clue about modern football and some of the stuff he said had to be heard to believe. One gem was Kerry don't play a system. Jamie Clarke plays in front of his full back line. I pay a tv licence for that???? It's not good enough.

mouview

Team of the year - Ryan McHugh instead of Aodan O'Shea? The mind boggles..........

Kerry adhered to the greatest commandment in c'ship football - survive. But the worst Kerry-winning team I've ever seen; I mean 2 Geaneys, Donnchadh Walsh, Stephen O'Brien, a HB line that was exposed by an ordinary Galway team? The 2 beaten semi-finalists must be sore kicking themselves tonight. Swap opponents and play again.

J70

Quote from: mouview on September 21, 2014, 11:56:56 PM
Team of the year - Ryan McHugh instead of Aodan O'Shea? The mind boggles..........

Kerry adhered to the greatest commandment in c'ship football - survive. But the worst Kerry-winning team I've ever seen; I mean 2 Geaneys, Donnchadh Walsh, Stephen O'Brien, a HB line that was exposed by an ordinary Galway team? The 2 beaten semi-finalists must be sore kicking themselves tonight. Swap opponents and play again.

Tough shit, they had their chances.

And why pick on a lad who was man of the match in the Ulster final and AI semi?

lenny

Quote from: mrdeeds on September 21, 2014, 11:54:26 PM
How is Pat Spillane still on panel. Hasn't a clue about modern football and some of the stuff he said had to be heard to believe. One gem was Kerry don't play a system. Jamie Clarke plays in front of his full back line. I pay a tv licence for that???? It's not good enough.

He was right about kerry not playing sweepers. they just kept their defenders in position. their halfbacks stayed in place and didnt follow the donegal halfforwards into the donegal defence. The bottom line is kerry played a cautious gameplan but nowhere near as defensive as donegal.

blewuporstuffed

god he was hard to listen to last night.
Completly biased, which i could forgive , if he had the first clue what he was talking about.

Colm Orouke was the only one worth having on that panel last night, at least he called it, saying it was a poor championship and the format needs looked at.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

seafoid

It helps if you look at Spillane's contribution as comedy rather than sport.
Comedy is part of RTE's public service remit. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

bridgegael

Pat showed how out of touch with the modern game he is.  When martin mchugh is taljing more sense than you; its time to hang the pen up.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

AZOffaly

Pat Spillane, like a few other Kerry lads, will struggle with this for a while. It's a bit of a pyrrhic victory for people like him because it was won by Eamon Fitzmaurice taking a very pragmatic approach and having a gameplan and pattern of play which set up perfectly for Donegal. It wasn't the 'pure' football that the Kerry teams always play in Pat's rose tinted glasses, but it was the football they needed to play to win.

Kerry prefer to play open expansive football, I have no doubt about that. But if they think that they have to play defensively, or play cynically, or any other style, then they will, and they will apply themselves until they are very good at it.

I'm sure they'd prefer to win 3-14 to 2-13 in a high octane thriller, but they'll happily do whatever they have to to bring Sam back with them again, and if that's 3 lads sent off in a 0-8 to 0-6 game, then so be it.

This approach is contrary to everything Pat has been saying, but of course it's nothing new. During the week I saw a replay of 'that goal' from Kerry Offaly 1982, and if you look at the foul Bomber Liston does, for the free that leaves to the goal, that wouldn't look out of place in any game up to last year..

orangeman

Pat was on looking to change the rules after Armagh and Tyrone had lowered Kerry's colours. But he was lauding yesterday as Kerry being able to adopt.

Pat is out of touch but he still keeps the tinted glasses on.