Burma Cyclone

Started by Minder, May 08, 2008, 11:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Did it happen lads ? Maybe there is a thread and i missed it but i would have thought 100,000 people dying in one of the worst natural disasters in history was worthy of a thread. Especially given some of the dross that we have to wade through. . . . .
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

stephenite

I was waiting for you to start it

Gnevin

Would it be wrong  of me to suggest that we should tell the Military dictatorship to f**k off and stop asking for our help since they wanted nothing to do with us before ?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ludermor

What would Jim Larkin say to that Gnevin?

Minder

Quote from: Gnevin on May 08, 2008, 12:02:14 PM
Would it be wrong  of me to suggest that we should tell the Military dictatorship to f**k off and stop asking for our help since they wanted nothing to do with us before ?
In fairness they have been slow to accept help but i think there should be an obligation to help those that have survived.

Gnevin

Quote from: ludermor on May 08, 2008, 12:36:58 PM
What would Jim Larkin say to that Gnevin?
Anyone buying or selling tickets?

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ludermor

so you think its fair to punish the people for the actions of the government?

Gnevin

Quote from: ludermor on May 08, 2008, 02:07:47 PM
so you think its fair to punish the people for the actions of the government?
Is it right to prop up a undemocratic government ?

ludermor

can you define democracy? do you want to halt all aid to all the african states which have questionable democracies? should we halt all aid to all governments as they should be able to look after their own people?
Any chance of answering my question?

Gnevin

Quote from: ludermor on May 08, 2008, 02:36:58 PM
can you define democracy? do you want to halt all aid to all the african states which have questionable democracies? should we halt all aid to all governments as they should be able to look after their own people?
Any chance of answering my question?
I don't want to do anything I'm just asking questions, in the end no matter what you do in a situation like this there is an element of wrong . I suppose it's better to try and help as many people now than hoping that not helping may topple the government and the people will be better in the long run

pintsofguinness

Where were they when there was an Irish Famine? 

Quote from: Minder on May 08, 2008, 12:38:45 PM
In fairness they have been slow to accept help but i think there should be an obligation to help those that have survived.

I thought they didn't want help?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Minder

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 08, 2008, 08:36:40 PM

Quote from: Minder on May 08, 2008, 12:38:45 PM

I thought they didn't want help?

I would imagine the hundreds of thousands that have been left homeless would want help, the military junta are very wary of the U.S. They also wanted the aid agencies to drop off supplies and they would distribute it, course they would.......

magickingdom

unbelievable disaster and your spot on minder, in this day and age i'm amazed at the lack of reaction.

full back

The government are a bunch of b4stards
Just seen the news, bodies all over the place & still no aid workers are welcome ???
Just drop off the aid

Surreal Steve

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 08, 2008, 08:36:40 PM

What the f**k are you on about?