Mullahoran Co Cavan

Started by carnaross, May 08, 2008, 07:15:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carnaross

Yorkshire is being hosted by Mullahoran in the Feile Peil na nOg this year in Cavan. Anybody know exactly where this is?
Anyone travelling to Leeds to work/study are welcome to join St. Benedicts Harps GAA in Leeds.

North Longford

Out the Ballinagh road out of Cavan. Keep going straight through Ballinagh. About 10 - 15 mins along the road the Mullahoran pitch is on the left hand side. Will pass through the village of Killydoon before the pitch. This is in the parish of Mullahoran.

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on May 08, 2008, 08:52:51 AM
Out the Ballinagh road out of Cavan. Keep going straight through Ballinagh. About 10 - 15 mins along the road the Mullahoran pitch is on the left hand side. Will pass through the village of Killydoon before the pitch. This is in the parish of Mullahoran.

You go through Killadoon "village" and continue on the road. You'll see a church in the distance on your left-hand side and there's a sharp left-hand turn almost immediately afterwards. The Mullahoran GAA complex is unmissable on your left-hand side.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Homer

Aye but be careful when looking at a map for Ballinagh as it's sometimes incorrectly spelled as Bellananananananaagh.

North Longford

QuoteBellananananananaagh.

This is also mentioned on a few sign posts too!!

armaghniac

QuoteThis is also mentioned on a few sign posts too!!

They have signposts in those parts! Things are changing.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

North Longford

QuoteThey have signposts in those parts! Things are changing.

Usually included on the sign is..............

Your safest way out of here is
or
Your quickest way out of here is........

lynchbhoy

coming from Cavan through Ballinagh (Ballanagh etc etc) make sure you dont go out the Linaleck road, and head the Granard/longford road.
Its easy to miss that going through the 'town'.

Sorry homer but I had to mention (again) how the Gerry Ryan show a few years back brought up the fact that Ballinagh was the only town to not have Christmas tree, lights or decorations up the week before Christmas (and hadnt planned on it as the local group had fallen out among themselves apaprantly).
People from Monaghan, Leitrim and even dundalk (!) were phoning up the G ryan show and pledging christmas trees, lights etc for the poor kids of Ballinagh Co. Cavan - as the adults were 'too mean' to spend Christmas

This really happened folks!

The wife doesnt like me reminding her of this!  :D

Homer

Quote from: lynchbhoy on May 08, 2008, 12:12:57 PM
Sorry homer but I had to mention (again) how the Gerry Ryan show a few years back brought up the fact that Ballinagh was the only town to not have Christmas tree, lights or decorations up the week before Christmas (and hadnt planned on it as the local group had fallen out among themselves apaprantly).
People from Monaghan, Leitrim and even dundalk (!) were phoning up the G ryan show and pledging christmas trees, lights etc for the poor kids of Ballinagh Co. Cavan - as the adults were 'too mean' to spend Christmas

:-[ Don't remind me Lynchbhoy

coming from Cavan through Ballinagh (Ballanagh etc etc) make sure you dont go out the Linaleck road, and head the Granard/longford road.

No the Longfordian's have it right you're better off going straight through the town and staying on the N55.  Although you are right about how easy it is to miss the signs for Linaleck.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Homer on May 08, 2008, 12:33:12 PM
No the Longfordian's have it right you're better off going straight through the town and staying on the N55.  Although you are right about how easy it is to miss the signs for Linaleck.
I think thats the route I am talking about -avoiding kilanaleck (linaleck) and heading the southern road (not sure what the road number is).

I had forgotten about that 'Christmas' episode but as one of the wife's sisters is having her wedding bash (got married in Italy but having a party for all the people that didnt go out there) tomorrow night in carlingford, I will attempt to bring that up to as many Ballinagh natives as possible.
No doubt the mcGaherns will be there.
The grooms family are from monaghan and I have had all sorts of fun slagging off both sides of their families.
Well you do these things when yer not drinking and bored!

LaurelEye

Quote from: Homer on May 08, 2008, 12:33:12 PM

:-[ Don't remind me Lynchbhoy

Only thing is that the N55 gives way to the Kilnaleck-Crossdoney road. To put it another way:

1. Turn left at the junction facing Mac Diarmada's pub
2. Then immediately turn right again at Ronnie's Fruit and Veg and carry on downhill.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: LaurelEye on May 08, 2008, 02:27:57 PM
Only thing is that the N55 gives way to the Kilnaleck-Crossdoney road. To put it another way:

1. Turn left at the junction facing Mac Diarmada's pub
2. Then immediately turn right again at Ronnie's Fruit and Veg and carry on downhill.
Quite apt to call it downhill, given it's Granard he's heading towards. ;)

boojangles

Usually included on the sign is..............

Your safest way out of here is
or
Your quickest way out of here is........

Carnaross,for all the slagging you'l find about Mullahoran here,you will find that it is a proud,rural parish of South Cavan that is steeped in GAA and everything good(and at times bad) about traditional Ireland.You will also find that there is more All-Ireland medals in Mullahoran alone than there is in all of Longford and about 10 other counties.The famous Gunner Brady family are from Mullahoran and also former All-Ireland winner and Tanaiste Johnny Wilson RIP.Arguably Cavans best footballer of the last 20 years was also from Mullahoran-Damien Reilly.

North Longford

Boojangles ya must have been employed byt he Mullahoran Tourism board........you're just thankful they managed to stop the Gaels 10 in a row bid!
Indeed I have worked with Damien Reilly in the past and a nicer fella ya couldn't meet.........for a mullahoran man!!!!!!!!!

boojangles

Ah my father wouldnt b best pleased if I let Mullahoran take a slagging without standing up for the place.Damien Reilly is a gentleman and god knows how we could do with him now.He could play anywhere which is the real sign of a good footballer.I remember seeing him mark Peter Canavan in the 95 Ulster Final and held him to a credible 3 or 4 points from play which was the best job anybody did on him that year as GOD practically carried Tyrone to an All-Ireland final that year.