Greatest Provincial Rivalry

Started by ríochtciarraí, May 07, 2008, 05:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spectator

Quote from: stephenite on May 14, 2008, 10:22:36 AM
so no, I'm not ashamed, I'd be ashamed if they let lads pla as the precedent that would set could cause us to lose some fine prospects if the history of talent turned out by Ballagh is anything to go by.

Good luck to ye on Sunday

That's what it all boils down to for Mainland Mayo football folk.

Ye don't want to see Ballagh lads  - who are born & reared in County Roscommon & who grew up dreaming of wearing the Ros jersey - playing for their home county, if they so wish.

Ye'd rather dance up and down on the grave that houses those lads hopes and dreams, by endorsing a discriminatory system which forces them to either play IC for Mayo, or not at all.

Fair play stephenite, at least you are open and honest about that, when it must be difficult to admit to supporting such a discriminatory unsporting stance. Views like that tarnish Mayo's sporting reputation amongst the wider GAA community though.

Thanks for the good luck on Sunday - we'll need every bit we can get. Any chance of getting Andy Moran back for the day ;)

SouthArmaghBandit

Theres a health rivaltry between Armagh and Tyrone in recent year - generally good natured. Tyrone/Londonderry is very bitter. Armagh/Down is like beating up your wee brother - it's too easy but you still enjoy it.

stephenite

Quote from: spectator on May 14, 2008, 11:51:02 PM
Fair play stephenite, at least you are open and honest about that, when it must be difficult to admit to supporting such a discriminatory unsporting stance. Views like that tarnish Mayo's sporting reputation amongst the wider GAA community though.

It's not difficult at all, in fact I don't see it as discriminatory or unsporting - Ballagh is in Mayo if you play Gaelic Games, these lads and their parents know, that when they send them out as young fellas they'll be playing in Mayo competitions and for Mayo if they're good enough. Same as if they were bought up in any other county - if they wanted to play in another county's competitions and for another county the can always move to avail themselves of that opportunity - but if they don't they generally shut up and get on with it.

As for my opinions tarnishing Mayo's sporting reputation among the wider community....   :D ;D :D Believe me when I say no one else gives a fiddlers about the situation

Mike Sheehy

QuoteWell, I'll set your opinion based on the occasions you've been in Waterford against my uncle's opinion based on the occasions he's been in Kerry. No, it doesn't cut both ways.

err, yeah, whatever you say.

btw..what other opinions does your uncle have about us ?

moysider

GAME, SET AND MATCH. This is undoubtedly the greatest rivalry in the land. This is a land war. Slaggin a county off cause they have London in their name or burnin out their cars or sh**e like that is only small beer compared to this. The British civil servant who redrew the congested districts boundaries and marooned the unfortunate Mayos of Ballaghadereen in the Castlerea  poorhouse district instead of their natural Swinford asylum has as much to answer for as as  yer man Radcliffe who drew a line through India in 1947, and the other Imperialist cartographers who drew straight lines to divide up Africa into 'nations' where no nations ever existed. Ballagh is our Punjab. It s great to be able to blame this shit on the Brits as well - and probably the reason why we get away wit it  ;D. Sayin that I could never imagine  Cahill, Durkin ,Hanley, Moran [ plays like a Mayo player] playin in primrose. Sean Kilbride jumped ship in 70 s  but it was a smart move at the time because Ros were All Ireland bound.  At least the only blood in this conflict is spilt on the football pitch. Peter Forde or Pat Doory circa '89 anybody.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: spectator on May 14, 2008, 11:51:02 PM
Quote from: stephenite on May 14, 2008, 10:22:36 AM
so no, I'm not ashamed, I'd be ashamed if they let lads pla as the precedent that would set could cause us to lose some fine prospects if the history of talent turned out by Ballagh is anything to go by.

Good luck to ye on Sunday

That's what it all boils down to for Mainland Mayo football folk.

Ye don't want to see Ballagh lads  - who are born & reared in County Roscommon & who grew up dreaming of wearing the Ros jersey - playing for their home county, if they so wish.

Ye'd rather dance up and down on the grave that houses those lads hopes and dreams, by endorsing a discriminatory system which forces them to either play IC for Mayo, or not at all.

Thanks for the good luck on Sunday - we'll need every bit we can get. Any chance of getting Andy Moran back for the day ;)

It's very simple, if you play your club football in a county, you are only eligible for that county. If you want to move counties, then you have to move clubs.

Bringing in any sort of 'allowance' that you mention would only set a dangerous precedent.
Don't assume that Ballaghaderreen is a unique situation in Ireland. It may be the most obvious but there are countless more examples.

Where any club is on a county boundary there is a strong possibility that some of that club's parish line will stretch into the neighbouring county.
Two examples I know of are Ballindine on the Galway Mayo border and Charlestown/Bellaghy on the Mayo Sligo border. I know of people who play their club football with Davitts and Charlestown respectively who live just over the border and would support Galway over Mayo and Sligo over Mayo respectively.

I'm sure there are examples going the other way too with Mayo's playing club football just over the Mayo border.

The point is if you allow players from Ballagh to choose which county to play for, other border players will have legitimate claims to extend this provision to their club because some of the parish is in another county.

Where do you literally draw the line? You will end up with players deciding they want to play for a county not because they support that county but because they are more likely to get a game with that county than with their native one. Someone for Ballagh' deciding to play for Ros because they couldn't make the Mayo team for instance  :D :D

And if that were to start happening we would be causing untold damage to the association imho
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

timmykelleher

"It's very simple, if you play your club football in a county, you are only eligible for that county. If you want to move counties, then you have to move clubs."

That can't be right??
What about Declan Darcy playing for Leitrim when he was living (and playing?) in Dublin??
Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

stephenite

Quote from: timmykelleher on May 15, 2008, 10:30:48 AM
"It's very simple, if you play your club football in a county, you are only eligible for that county. If you want to move counties, then you have to move clubs."

That can't be right??
What about Declan Darcy playing for Leitrim when he was living (and playing?) in Dublin??

Darcy played all his underage club football in Leitrim and definitley represented that club at senior level also, his father used drive him down to Leitrim from the capital every weekend for matches and training

lfdown2

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on May 15, 2008, 12:00:03 AM
Theres a health rivaltry between Armagh and Tyrone in recent year - generally good natured. Tyrone/Londonderry is very bitter. Armagh/Down is like beating up your wee brother - it's too easy but you still enjoy it.

::) ::)

its good for yourselves football has only been invented!! :-\

Aghdavoyle

Please please please let down get past tyrone in omagh. It'll be great to but ye in your box for a while again. we haven't had the opportunity since 2003.

billy the kid

Quote from: SouthArmaghBandit on May 15, 2008, 12:00:03 AM

Who the f**k are this English Team Tyrone Dont Get on with?

I know us Derry folk hate them but we also hate nothing more than pig ignorant GAA folk legitimising the rape, pillaging and murder that was brought to our nation by adopting the corrupted and insulting name the english crown tried to impose on the county of Derry.
You should be ashamed of yourself and all like you.  You call yourself an Irishman? We call you a joke and a disgrace.

Its interesting that most Protestants in Derry refer to it as Derry as do all Catholics.  Its only pig ignorant in-breds like you who use the name that shall not be spoken.

If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

billy the kid

By the way ypuve some neck on you saying beating down is like beating up your younger brother. 
How many All irelands do Armagh have?    1
How many do Down have?                       5

Your obviously one of the Armagh bandwagoners who came on board in 2002 or after and have no memory of the serious beatings Armagh took over the previous 20 years as you had no interest in them then or werent born and dont respect or appreciate the history of the GAA

Your also probably 1 of these Armagh fans who think the history of the GAA started in 2002

Real Armagh fans were at many a game before 2002 and since 2002 and will be at many more in the barren years ahead. :o :o

By the way all Derry folk hate Tyrone the most unless your from Derry city where you hate Tyrone and Derry the most.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

Oak Leafer

ziggysego

Ah sure Derry's a grand wee county. When I was at College in their city, they didn't seem to master the sport. None of them held the ball and didn't seem to have proper posts. Only the goals, no points.
Testing Accessibility

Turlough O Carolan

Quote from: moysider on May 15, 2008, 02:35:22 AM
GAME, SET AND MATCH. This is undoubtedly the greatest rivalry in the land. This is a land war. Slaggin a county off cause they have London in their name or burnin out their cars or sh**e like that is only small beer compared to this. The British civil servant who redrew the congested districts boundaries and marooned the unfortunate Mayos of Ballaghadereen in the Castlerea  poorhouse district instead of their natural Swinford asylum has as much to answer for as as  yer man Radcliffe who drew a line through India in 1947, and the other Imperialist cartographers who drew straight lines to divide up Africa into 'nations' where no nations ever existed. Ballagh is our Punjab. It s great to be able to blame this shit on the Brits as well - and probably the reason why we get away wit it  ;

Now in what fine historical opus did you find that? Far from being the Evil Brits, the border was moved by a stauch nationalist and someone who continued to list his own address as Co. Mayo. And it was all over water rates. But it was British Administrators that drew up the original county boundaries in the first place, back in the 1600s, so Dillon putting Ballagh back into Ros was only correcting an earlier British imperfection. There was a time before that when Ros consisted of large swaths of Connacht bogland, including the disputed territory of Ballaghaderreen. Ros however lost Athlone and Ballinasloe at the same time as they gained Ballagh, and when you consider the Ballagh players still represent Mayo, it was a very bad deal GAAwise.