Author Topic: Armagh Club football & hurling  (Read 1527354 times)

Rufus T Firefly

• Na Clairsigh, Ard Mhacha
    • View Profile
Re: Armagh Club football & hurling
« Reply #19035 on: November 09, 2018, 10:27:06 AM »
By all accounts ballymacnabb had Cross beat and then they substituted their keeper?
All these Maghery men think they'd have beat Cross easy in the final and that it's coming back down the road to them again next year?

Thinking about next year, and indeed for the next few years, my fear would be a reassertion of Rangers dominance. I think Maghery were undone this year by injuries to key players, which exposed the lack of depth in their squad. However the age profile of some of their most important players suggests to me that this side will not again reach the peak of their 2017 semi-final victory over Rangers.

For St Pats, this year represented a crushing disappointment, and a personal friend who is close to the team was of the opinion that they had put everything into this year and that they are unlikely now to be able to make a title winning challenge in the near future. Certainly the manner in which they were beaten in the semi-final is bound to have left long term mental scars.

The Nab are a bit like St Pats - put a huge effort into this year, and but for Rangers unforeseen renaissance, there is a likelihood they may have snatched their Holy Grail. Now they are as far away as ever and know that they played to the absolute limit of their powers and still come up short. That will also be a big psychological blow to come back from. The Nab's issue is that they lack strength in depth in what is a twenty man game. The County Final was as loud a reinforcement of that principle as it was possible to get.

I don't believe this Rangers team are as good as previous incarnations but they have a young profile and are likely to improve over the coming years, which is ominous for the rest of us.

brokencrossbar1

• View Profile
« Reply #19036 on: November 09, 2018, 11:01:15 AM »
By all accounts ballymacnabb had Cross beat and then they substituted their keeper?
All these Maghery men think they'd have beat Cross easy in the final and that it's coming back down the road to them again next year?

Thinking about next year, and indeed for the next few years, my fear would be a reassertion of Rangers dominance. I think Maghery were undone this year by injuries to key players, which exposed the lack of depth in their squad. However the age profile of some of their most important players suggests to me that this side will not again reach the peak of their 2017 semi-final victory over Rangers.

For St Pats, this year represented a crushing disappointment, and a personal friend who is close to the team was of the opinion that they had put everything into this year and that they are unlikely now to be able to make a title winning challenge in the near future. Certainly the manner in which they were beaten in the semi-final is bound to have left long term mental scars.

The Nab are a bit like St Pats - put a huge effort into this year, and but for Rangers unforeseen renaissance, there is a likelihood they may have snatched their Holy Grail. Now they are as far away as ever and know that they played to the absolute limit of their powers and still come up short. That will also be a big psychological blow to come back from. The Nab's issue is that they lack strength in depth in what is a twenty man game. The County Final was as loud a reinforcement of that principle as it was possible to get.

I don't believe this Rangers team are as good as previous incarnations but they have a young profile and are likely to improve over the coming years, which is ominous for the rest of us.

That's a pretty fair assessment Rufus.  I think the key for us in the future is that the players that are playing in the central areas are still quite young or indeed the majority are very young.  James Morgan is mid 20's, 2 O'Neill's and Stephen Morris in midfield are u21.  With Jamie back now next year we will have a more lethal forward line.  I have to say the idea of having him, Tony Kernan, Rian, Kyle Carragher and young Cian McConville in a forward line along with 1 from any 4-5 players is pretty exciting.  AK will be very hard to replace,  but this was said before about other great players and there wasn't that much of an issue.  There is plenty of talent coming through from underage,  you don't win repeated minors and u21s without their being talent.  This years win was crucial in that it was the young lads 'first' one on their own as such and consequently it will breed confidence.  I know what is coming through,  there are 2 more O'Neill brothers for instance, and the youngest has the potential to be the best.  He is only 13 but by the time his older brothers are established in their mid 20's he, and a great bunch of young lads of his age, will all be breaking through.  3-4 every year I reckon for the next 5-6 years will start to replace the older guard.  What will also happen then is the likes of the Kernan brothers will be looking at the management of the seniors and they will not accept anything except the very best.  Stephen is already cutting his teeth and has won a minor in his first year in the job. 

Are they as good as previous teams?  Potentially I think they are and a few wins under the belt and you could see a similar dominance that was there before.  The only real challenge at underage to the players coming through was Clann Eireann and you can already see the wheels falling off them now.  13 in a row will not happen but there's plenty going to be won

BIGONE

• View Profile
« Reply #19037 on: November 09, 2018, 11:41:45 AM »
You would have to questions Cross' depth when they had to introduce Tony Kernan in Ulster club who has barely kicked a ball this year? Maghery clear up the injuries and they definitely have another championship in them. Great appointment by Armagh with McKeever taking over the U17's. Lads will have great respect for him which is a good starting point.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #19038 on: November 09, 2018, 11:44:00 AM »
You would have to questions Cross' depth when they had to introduce Tony Kernan in Ulster club who has barely kicked a ball this year?

Because they wanted him to "kick a ball" before the next round?
if at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

• View Profile
« Reply #19039 on: November 09, 2018, 04:05:33 PM »
Canít see anyone consistently challenging Cross anytime soon and itís the same old problem, the chasing teams have no real championship pedigree (bar Harps).

Cullyhanna maybe have the players but havenít the balls to win a championship, much like Dromintee in years gone by. That ship has sailed.

The nab put a mammoth effort in this year but it will take more of the same to even get close and whether they have it in them remains to be seen. Could be another Cullyhanna

Time is not on magheryís side. If things go their way and with a bit of luck they could *maybe* reach the heights of 2016. Not sure they have much talent coming through the ranks though?

Harps seem to have gone backwards last year. Not sure what happened but if they regrouped itís possible they could challenge as they have the players and the tradition of winning championships.

Clann Eireann were the great white hope but have regressed, still time for them though, itís easy saying the wheels come off when you compare what their young players have to look up to compared to their peers in cross.

Rest of Div 1A and B are much of a muchness and wonít be causing any surprises anytime soon. Looks like Gerry Fegan will be in cross for the foreseeable

Ethan Tremblay

• View Profile
« Reply #19040 on: November 09, 2018, 04:40:19 PM »
Agree with General Lee on most points. 

Cross have young players in major positions across the pitch and they are confident enough to use them there.  They had a tough campaign in Armagh and are now playing in Ulster, this experience is invaluable. 

Donít agree with the point on the Harps though.  To be honest, Lennon is their main scoring threat up front, but nobody else seems to be delivering them the same firepower and his number is already marked.  Iíve watched them a few times during the year and they were poor all over the pitch.  Shocking to see how much the digressed from the year before. 

There are 3/4 teams that will realistically be challenging for the championship next year.  The usual 3 contenders of cross, cullyhanna and maghery and any other team in 1a that hits form and has confidence, whether that be the nab or the harps again. 

There is a clear divide in standard between 1a and 1b, no division 1b teams will be anywhere near the business end in my honest opinion.  But again, the format of league and championship seeding was a huge success. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Throw ball

• View Profile
« Reply #19041 on: November 09, 2018, 05:37:19 PM »
Although I would agree that Cross hold the aces at the minute I still feel that next season any of Cullyhanna, Ballymacnab , Harps or Maghery could beat them. Maghery had major injuries this year. I was disappointed in Cullyhanna but in Nugent, Duffy and McQuillan, among others, they have some very good players. Nab are short on depth and would be disappointed in this season. Harps had a bad year but have good players and did get to minor final this year so will have others coming through. They might need a change in direction though either through new management or a shake up in tactics. My big hope is that teams go our believing they can win rather than throwing the towel in as they did in the past.

Rufus T Firefly

• View Profile
« Reply #19042 on: November 10, 2018, 09:48:44 AM »
I don't think there was an awareness around the County of how potent Rangers were going to be prior to the knockout stages of the Senior Championship. They finished the group match against Madden holding on by their finger nails as Madden came looking an equalizer, having just beaten Silverbridge by a point. This was coming on the back of their absence from the County Finals of 2016 and 2017.

When they beat us by ten points in the quarter-final, many were keen to emphasise how inept our display was (and it was) but having watched their fire power up front that night, I was sure they were going to take the title. As BC has pointed out, they have a relatively young team who will take great confidence from that victory.

For us, this season never ever got going. We had a few long term injuries to key players and a number of other important players lost form. Furthermore, our commitment to the County in terms of personnel meant that we could never get a settled team that would have resembled our Championship 15. However ultimately, the main issue for me was that our Championship success of last year sated the collective appetite and that showed in many performances throughout the year. There was not the raw hunger there. If we are to mount a serious challenge in 2019, there is no doubt that key to that will be the attitude of the players and how much they want to get back to the top.   

David McKeown

• View Profile
« Reply #19043 on: November 10, 2018, 10:26:39 AM »
I don't think there was an awareness around the County of how potent Rangers were going to be prior to the knockout stages of the Senior Championship. They finished the group match against Madden holding on by their finger nails as Madden came looking an equalizer, having just beaten Silverbridge by a point. This was coming on the back of their absence from the County Finals of 2016 and 2017.

When they beat us by ten points in the quarter-final, many were keen to emphasise how inept our display was (and it was) but having watched their fire power up front that night, I was sure they were going to take the title. As BC has pointed out, they have a relatively young team who will take great confidence from that victory.

For us, this season never ever got going. We had a few long term injuries to key players and a number of other important players lost form. Furthermore, our commitment to the County in terms of personnel meant that we could never get a settled team that would have resembled our Championship 15. However ultimately, the main issue for me was that our Championship success of last year sated the collective appetite and that showed in many performances throughout the year. There was not the raw hunger there. If we are to mount a serious challenge in 2019, there is no doubt that key to that will be the attitude of the players and how much they want to get back to the top.   

Rufus

I spoke to a few men who would have been involved with the Harps over the years and would be at most matches and the general consensus from them was that the team was suffering a bit from same voice syndrome. Donít know if the players felt that way mind but anytime I saw the Harps this year they struck me as a team more or less going through the motions. Do you think either a change of management or a change of approach would be necessary for next year?

Rufus T Firefly

• View Profile
« Reply #19044 on: November 10, 2018, 10:39:02 AM »
Rufus I spoke to a few men who would have been involved with the Harps over the years and would be at most matches and the general consensus from them was that the team was suffering a bit from same voice syndrome. Donít know if the players felt that way mind but anytime I saw the Harps this year they struck me as a team more or less going through the motions. Do you think either a change of management or a change of approach would be necessary for next year?

Yes, I think there would be an argument for freshening things up, definitely.

armaghniac

• View Profile
« Reply #19045 on: November 10, 2018, 02:15:20 PM »
Although I would agree that Cross hold the aces at the minute I still feel that next season any of Cullyhanna, Ballymacnab , Harps or Maghery could beat them. Maghery had major injuries this year. I was disappointed in Cullyhanna but in Nugent, Duffy and McQuillan, among others, they have some very good players. Nab are short on depth and would be disappointed in this season. Harps had a bad year but have good players and did get to minor final this year so will have others coming through. They might need a change in direction though either through new management or a shake up in tactics. My big hope is that teams go our believing they can win rather than throwing the towel in as they did in the past.

My only observation is that if Clarke does return, and that is never certain, then such a good additional player could turn Rangers from a team others might beat on a good day into one that was very hard to beat.
if at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

brokencrossbar1

• View Profile
« Reply #19046 on: November 10, 2018, 03:09:12 PM »

My only observation is that if Clarke does return, and that is never certain, then such a good additional player could turn Rangers from a team others might beat on a good day into one that was very hard to beat.

His transfer back has been complete so he will be playing for us next season

yellowcard

• View Profile
« Reply #19047 on: November 10, 2018, 08:48:47 PM »
I think itís a little bit premature to be speculating about another period of Cross dominance just yet although it is easy to make a case for it alright. The reality is that they are heavily dependent on the 2 OíNeills and would not have won a championship without either. They have weaknesses in their full back line and the jury is still out on the new keeper.

That said, they obviously have a good production line of talent coming through and if they can add Clarke and Cian McConville into that full forward line I canít see anyone beating them next year.

As others have suggested, Cullyhanna would be the next best in terms of talent but they have been nearly men for too long now and may have missed their best chance this year. Maghery are an ageing side and Clann Eireann are typical of a town team who struggle to keep their players as they move out of the underage system. Below the top 4/5 teams there is not a great deal of depth in Armagh club football.

BIGONE

• View Profile
« Reply #19048 on: November 12, 2018, 04:23:04 PM »
Maghery on the hunt for new management I hear?