Goat Suckers coming to South Kerry

Started by Frank Casey, May 03, 2008, 07:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Casey

If any of you are in the Kingdom for the long weekend and are at a loose end tomorrow afternoon.......

MICK O'Dwyer's Wicklow will play a South Kerry selection in a senior football challenge in Waterville tomorrow (2.30pm).

The game marks the official opening of a new development which includes four new dressing rooms, a gym alley along with meeting rooms and catering facilities. Former Sports Minister John O'Donoghue will officially open the development.
KERRY 3:7

Frank Casey

Micko and his Wickla boys were given a mighty South Kerry welcome on Sunday afternoon. Wicklow beat a South Kerry selection by a few points (can't remember exact score!) and a good time was had by all. Thanks to all who turned up.

This from yesterday's www.irishexaminer.com.......................oh and of course he's right.

05 May 2008

O'Dwyer backs Kerry for five-in-a-row dream

By Colm O'Connor
GAELIC football's most successful manager, Mick O'Dwyer, believes Kerry can win the elusive five-in-a-row.

O'Dwyer, who led the Kingdom to eight All-Ireland titles between 1975 and 1986, came within seconds of achieving the historic feat until a goal from Offaly's Seamus Darby sensationally ended the dream in the 1982 decider.

However the Waterville great predicts another golden era for Kerry football after they became the first team since Cork in 1990 to win back to back All-Ireland SFC titles.

The achievement was all the more remarkable as it was achieved with different managers — Jack O'Connor and Pat O'Shea.

Said O'Dwyer: "Kerry have a great man and a great team at the moment. I think they are well capable of winning five in a row.

"I can't see anything competing with Kerry at the moment. They certainly have the players.

"You look at the young lads coming through from the U21s like Tommy Walsh and Ogie Moran's young fella David."

However he issued a word of warning: "The only people that will beat Kerry are themselves."

O'Dwyer, who made his comments at a function marking the 30th anniversary of the Institute of Technology, Tralee, feels that the standard of football nationwide is at a low ebb.

"I think the standard is down all over the country. If you just look to the north at the moment, teams are not great there.

"In Leinster I don't see any great teams there either. Dublin are rated the best but I don't think they will win a championship to be honest."

The Wicklow boss, who has enjoyed successful spells with Kildare and Laois, also ruled out a return to managing his native county.

"No I wouldn't see myself coming back because there are plenty of people is this county capable of training and managing teams to win.

"You had Jack O'Connor and now young Pat O'Shea has come through.

"It has been mentioned to me alright but I couldn't see myself coming back. I gave 38 years to Kerry and there is nothing more than I could achieve. But of course every time I look at the paper, listen to the radio I wonder how Kerry are doing.

"I am a Kerry man and a Kerry man I will be always. But of course I would love to do it but years are catching up. I generally train, manage and coach the teams all the time — I do that with Wicklow. But I could do that with Kerry."

Meanwhile, Waterville GAA club will this (Monday) evening host a special function celebrating O'Dwyer's achievements, at their newly refurbished complex.

The event will be broadcast live on Radio Kerry's Terrace Talk with Weeshie Fogarty from 6.15pm (www.radiokerry.ie).
KERRY 3:7

KIDDO 4

Club match abandoned in Kerry
12 May 2008

A club match in Kerry was abandoned on Sunday after a punch-up developed into a mass brawl.

The Division 5 league clash between Ballyduff and Listry was entering its closing stages when the violence flared. Ballyduff were leading by 0-13 to 1-7 when a number of players became involved in a punch-up. Minutes later, a more serious fracas took place, forcing referee Sean McElligott to bring a premature halt to proceedings.

The referee did not issue any red cards, but blew his final whistle early on the basis he could not guarantee the safety of the players.

The Kerry county board has promised a full investigation into the incidents

Kerry Mike

The Kerry county board has promised a full investigation into the incident.........yerra there will be a few suspensions rightly handed down if they can track down any of the culprits, I doubt if there was too many video cameras out for this game though.

It was Division 5 County league football afterall, and you'd expect a few skelps at that level espeically with those hardy hoors from B'Duff, god knows I played enough of them in my day and still have the lumps and bruises to show for it.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football