London Mayor

Started by Uladh, May 02, 2008, 02:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uladh

Much as i like boris on HIGNFY, he's a tory. and a fairly staunch one at that. might as well be voting for norman tebbit

Hardy

I like Boris. A politician with a sense of humour is rare enough, but one who's a top class clown is pure gold.

The idea that Irish people in London should behave as a ghettoised mass, ignore the issues at hand and vote for Ken just because he likes the Irish is probably as good an example of cultural cringe as I can think of.

ziggysego

In typical Boris fashion, he tripped over when he was officially announced the new Mayor of London.
Testing Accessibility

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on May 04, 2008, 06:33:28 PM
I like Boris. A politician with a sense of humour is rare enough, but one who's a top class clown is pure gold.
The idea that Irish people in London should behave as a ghettoised mass, ignore the issues at hand and vote for Ken just because he likes the Irish is probably as good an example of cultural cringe as I can think of.
I find it cringe worthy that people should ignore the issues at hand and because of a peculiar sense of what they appreciate as humour  or personalities that they find likable, that they get sucked in by the most obvious staged buffoonery enacted outside of the theatre.

I haven't a clue what the issues are in London these days or Ken Livingstone's record as mayor but I do have first hand experience of living in London at different times in the 70's and 80's and have a very good appreciation and perspective of what support for the Irish community from the GLC meant for the Irish community living there. That was the purpose of the piece I posted.

If you have any serious reservations about Ken's past as GLC leader then come out with it.