The Official Glasgow Rangers UEFA Cup Final Thread

Started by Minder, May 02, 2008, 09:17:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: SammyG on May 15, 2008, 01:32:50 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on May 15, 2008, 01:25:29 PM
Didnt the Celtic fans win an award for being the best travelling support a few years back?

Then switch to last night in Manchester.

Different sides of the same shitty coin my arse.

I think anyone who had any lingering doubts about Sammy G can now see, through his efforts on here today, that he is a 100% bigot.

So condemning scum makes you a bigot. Right on big lad, glad we got that cleared up.  ::)

No Samuel, trying to tar Celtic fans with the same brush as Rankers fans (thus diluting the shame) makes you a bigot!  >:(
Tbc....

JimStynes

Quote from: The Gs Man on May 15, 2008, 01:18:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F965rbxetrw

Particularly nasty one.  42secs in

f**k me thats like a scene from braveheart or something. Sure it was apparently only a minority of rangers fans causing trouble  :o

SammyG

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 15, 2008, 01:35:20 PM
No Samuel, trying to tar Celtic fans with the same brush as Rankers fans (thus diluting the shame) makes you a bigot!  >:(
How the fcuk am I diluting anything? I completely and utterly condemn the scum involved and hope they get put away for a long time.

For the second time, Tony brought up Celtic, not me.

his holiness nb

Sammy, your attempts to paint Celtic fans in the same light as Rangers fans, even after last night, quite clearly proves your bigotry.
Ask me holy bollix

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: SammyG on May 15, 2008, 01:40:54 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 15, 2008, 01:35:20 PM
How the fcuk am I diluting anything? I completely and utterly condemn the scum involved and hope they get put away for a long time.

For the second time, Tony brought up Celtic, not me.

So you deny saying - "different sides of the same shitty coin" ?
Tbc....

SammyG

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 15, 2008, 01:43:51 PM
Not at all, why would I deny something that was clearly true. But I didn't bring it up, I just replied to the shite that Tony was spouting.

Jim_Murphy_74

In some ways I'm with SammyG on this one.  That said, I would spread my net far wider than two scottish clubs.  Last night's trouble was inevitable because there is a certain level of "raucous" behaviour acceptable amongst soccer supporters (even the well-behaved ones).  When you combine that with the volume of crowds and alchohol consumption it makes for a tinderbox.

The authorities erred in allowing that amount of fans into the city and let them "enjoy the buid-up".  The should have limited the visitors and banned alchohol.  This is an unfortunate fact of life with soccer I'm afraid.  

I also see elements of this behaviour sneaking into other sports.  In particular in GAA I find certain Gaelic football teams have a less than savoury crowd.  I fear for the future in this regard.  Soccer did not go from scarf-waving and clapping to stabbings and riots over night.

/Jim.

his holiness nb

Quote from: SammyG on May 15, 2008, 01:47:10 PM
Not at all, why would I deny something that was clearly true. But I didn't bring it up, I just replied to the shite that Tony was spouting.

Sammy,
Surely you can admit that the travelling fans of Celtic are far better behaved that that of Rangers?

One set wins awards for being good fans, the other, well we all saw what happened last night.

Will you admit this?
Ask me holy bollix

T Fearon

Jim

Thank God few soccer fans have descended to the level of Dublin and Meath...and I'm talking players here

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: SammyG on May 15, 2008, 01:47:10 PM

For f**k sake how can you honestly compare those animals from last night with Celtic fans! You really are one almighty fu**pot.
Tbc....

SammyG

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on May 15, 2008, 02:00:22 PM
For f**k sake how can you honestly compare those animals from last night with Celtic fans! You really are one almighty fu**pot.
I wouldn't compare them to all Celtic fans and nor would I compare them to all Rangers fans BUT a significant minority of both supports are scum. Search youtube for Rangers or Celtic and you'll see plenty of evidence.

Mickey Linden

Lads I cant believe there is so much comment on this issue. Did anyone(including SammyG) seriously expect anything else from the Rangers fans??????

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: T Fearon on May 15, 2008, 01:58:24 PM
Jim

Thank God few soccer fans have descended to the level of Dublin and Meath...and I'm talking players here

Tony,

Watching the behaviour of some fans at football matches in recent times I fear for the GAA in the future.  Soccer did not go from scarf-waving and singing to riots over night.  We need to be vigilant in all sports especially giving the increase of binge-drinking and violence in our broader society.  It is inevitable that these gurriers will find their way onto our terraces.

I'd hazard a guess that Celtic or Rangers are no worse than any supporters in this respect.  They just file their hatred under "sectarianism".  Look at some of the scumbags following Dublin soccer clubs.

I reiterate that I believe that the chanting and "banter" in soccer goes further than any sports.  This means that an injection of alchohol and too many of them in anyone place has an air of inevitability about it.

/Jim.

T Fearon

The issue here is not sectarian bigots within support bases. That is a given, and to be honest sectarian singing never deterred me from going to Windsor Park to see a particular player/team I wanted to see.

The question is this. Are Rangers, Celtic, Linfield, the IFA etc making sufficient efforts to cease being a magnet for such bigots.

I think Celtic are, with a ban on sectarian/political songs and issuing bans to supporters who indulge in sectarian behaviour.

Unfortunately I cannot say the same for Rangers,Linfield and the IFA. Rangers playing songs like Follow Follow (which contains the line "if they go to Dublin we will follow on") and Linfield and the IFA exclusive use of loyalist/unionist symbols means they stand indicted and cannot complain if sectarian bigots are attracted by sectarian ethos/symbols etc

T Fearon

Jim

I think you fail to appreciate the history and political baggage of a lot of soccer clubs. Practically every Italian soccer game is the reenactment of regional wars that have been going on for decades and centuries in some cases, the Rangers Celtic thing derives from the struggles of catholic/irish immigrants against the hostility of native protestant Glaswegians who treated them like dirt ( only a week and a half ago the Motherwell PA welcomed the Celtic support by laying "Gypsies, Tramps and Thieves), international fixtures like England and Germany and England and Argentina will always have an added spice owing to past wars between these countries, even Shamrock Rovers and Bohs reflect the Dublin Northside/Southside divide.

Thankfully the GAA is exempt from this political baggage