Joomla

Started by youbetterbelieveit, May 01, 2008, 07:51:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youbetterbelieveit

Hey Lads,

Anybody got experience in using this software when building websites, downloaded a book and was going through it and trying to learn myself,  but getting stuck on how to do somethings.

amallon

Can't help you with Joomla but if the site your doing is for a GAA club you could use the GAA's free content management system.  Its basic enough in what you can do with it,  but it gets the job done.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

WeeDonns

I created our club website ( www.drumraghgfc.net) using joomla.
I downloaded this book; http://www.packtpub.com/joomla-v1/book/mid/081205a2vl4o and followed it step by step to get the site set up on my laptop so I could edit it how I wanted.
There's loads of sites that you can download free templates from and just change the images and CSS files to suit you.
Its really good for adding new features, you just download the components from the joomla website and install them on your site

I would definitely recommend it, it's far easier than writing the code for the site yourself!

amallon

Thats a quality site, well done.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

youbetterbelieveit

hey WeeDonns,

I was having trouble doing the uploading of the site, any hints or tips regarding common issues on this aspect.

WeeDonns

Its been over a year ago now since I uploaded the site so I can't remember exactly what the problems were but I know it was a pain in the ass. You'd probably get better help on the joomla forums.
I know that I had to install joomla fresh on my web server, i.e. upload the .zip file and extract it there, going through the install process. Then I had to upload my template that I'd designed on my computer, and start entering in the content. I made the mistake of entering in most of the content for the site on the site I'd been developing on my pc thinking I could just upload the whole thing to my server, but this couldn't be done as joomla had to be installed on the server ( as far as I know anyway)

Just follow the steps in the book, it helped me anyway

If you're doing a GAA site, im using JoomlaLeague for displaying fixtures/results & tables, which is pretty easy to use. Im going to look into changing the score settings to suit football & hurling
http://www.drumraghgfc.net/cms/index.php?option=com_joomleague&func=showresultsrank&p=1&Itemid=1&r=3

bailestil

Nice site weeDons.

I've been using Joomla for a good while, but its getting a pain in the arse with all the bot registered users and its been hacked 2-3 times.

U have anything similar to this?

its hard to update my version cause i've phpbb mixed into the middle of it!

www.steelstown.ie