Dublin hurlers hit by two withdrawals

Started by Bord na Mona man, April 30, 2008, 03:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Looking on the brightside, at least Dublin hurlers aren't dropping out because of football these days!  ;)
I would have thought McCrabbe had excellent potential after his performances for the U21s.
This years looks like a great time for Dublin to get to a Leinster final, but I don't think they can afford too many more departures.

--

Dublin hurling duo Alan McCrabbe and Keith Dunne have decided to opt off Tommy Naughton's Championship panel.

The pair were part of the Metropolitans' U-21 side that won a Leinster Championship last year, before falling to Galway in the All-Ireland decider.

However, it is not all bad news for Naughton, as last weekend's club Championship games saw Kevin O'Reilly and Derek O'Reilly return to action after their respective cruciate ligament injuries.

Captain Stephen Hiney lined out for Ballyboden St Enda's and Ronan Fallon returned to hurling action after his involvement with St Vincent's in their run to All-Ireland Club football success.

Naughton remained philosophical on the loss of McCrabbe and Dunne.

'That's the way things go,' he told The Star.

'We will just have to get on with our work without them. It was their decision - that's the way the world is going.'

The Dubs will face Westmeath in the Leinster SHC on 25 May.

Guillem2

This seems to happen every year with a couple of good hurlers dropping out. There's no way anybody can play two sports at the top level any more.
Talking is an overrated way of communicating.

INDIANA

eh! neither of them play football , this is a clash of personalities.wexford have problems as well.
Barry Lambert will miss Wexford's entire All-Ireland campaign due to an ongoing groin problem.

The St Martin's clubman has been struggling with the Gilmore's groin complaint for some time but failed to respond to treatment. As a result he will undergo surgery to rectify the problem and will be out of action for up to four months, thus missing the entire Championship.

"It's been an ongoing thing with Barry and the problem did not respond to treatment," Wexford manager John Meyler told the Irish Star.

"He has to have an operation, either this week or next week, and his season is effectively over.

"He may be back for the local club championship in September but that's just the way it goes, we just have to take this news and get on with it."

Paying tribute to Lambert, Meyler added: "He's an excellent player and it's very unfortunate. He was struggling with the groin from early in the year. He played against Tipperary in a challenge back before the League started but broke down in that game."

In a further blow to Wexford, Dennis Morton has been ruled out for up to 12 weeks after chipping a bone in his knee, while Fergus Heffernan will miss two months due to a broken knee cap.

Silky

Quote from: INDIANA on April 30, 2008, 10:37:07 PM
eh! neither of them play football , this is a clash of personalities.

Is Tommy not well respected in Dublin hurling circles?

thejuice

Dont worry they might have a new recruit coming soon  ;D

http://www.hoganstand.com/usa/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=93978

Lucan Sarsfields is this week preparing to welcome the cameras of the U.S. network "Travel Channel" as they follow the exploits of Cincinnati Linebacker Dhani Jones. Jones is partaking in a global challenge and is learning the rudiments of, and playing competitively, a new sport in a week. Earlier this month, Jones spent a week with English rugby team Blackheath learning the skills of that game which by a stretch of the imagination are not too unlike those in his own sport, American Football.

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

The Claw

I saw a feature on him playing rugby there on Transworld Sport, he was able to take to that easy enough but should be interesting  to see how he copes with the stick and ball!

thejuice

Quote from: The Claw on May 01, 2008, 06:39:19 PM
I saw a feature on him playing rugby there on Transworld Sport, he was able to take to that easy enough but should be interesting  to see how he copes with the stick and ball!

I was wondering what TV shows I'd get to see it on. Suppose Ill try Transworld sport. He's doing a coaching session for the Irish American Football League in Lucan soon as well.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Bord na Mona man

johnneycool

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on May 02, 2008, 02:14:09 PM
Quote from: thejuice on May 01, 2008, 05:38:19 PM

He looks like your typical Brian Cody type of hurler!  ;D

If he can't grab a high ball out of the clouds, he'll not get on Brians team.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: johnneycool on May 02, 2008, 02:52:16 PM
If he can't grab a high ball out of the clouds, he'll not get on Brians team.
Once he can tackle like this, he's in!

thejuice

Quote from: johnneycool on May 02, 2008, 02:52:16 PM

Well get this, apparently Dhani Jones was in Trinity College and was practicing his hurling there and was thrown out!!! Some of the lads met him in the Porterhouse in Dublin over the weekend and he told them
:o

tayto

McCrabbe left becasue he only got 5 minutes against Cork and 8 against Waterford after coming back from injury, said he didn't think he was being given a fair crack. Big blow as he's better then some of the regulars, no question about it, as if to highlight the point he hit 2-10 for his club last week. Cant help thinking this is a hangover from the row himself and the management had last year over u21 training or something, which ended in him leaving the panel, only to return later int he summer. If i was Tommy i'd be doing my best to get him back in the fold, he is a serious talent and should be in the starting lineup, but i'd worry that this is a clash of personalities as much as anything.