Leinster SFC 2008 - Is it the most open in years??

Started by Louth Exile, April 27, 2008, 09:22:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louth Exile

Is it just wishfull thinking or will this be a genuinely competitive championship??

- The Dubs are odds on, but that is ridiculous stuff, the bookies never give decent odds on the Jacks and how anyone in their right mind could back them at odds on is hard to fathom! One thing that was blatantly obvious to me at the game last night was that the players who have come in to the team did not cut it. If Louth really step up to the plate there is the outside chance that the Dubs could fall at the first hurdle.
- Meath also have the problems of the suspensions for the Carlow game and Wexford game should they get through! They also have some serious injury and form worries, assuming they do have enough to beat Carlow I couldn't see them being a good bet against Wexford.
- Laois and Kildare both had poor leagues and got relegated from Div 1, but seeing as there were no tv cameras sent to any of their games I couldn't offer an opinion on either.
- Wexford and more so Westmeath should have some genuine hope of having a real cut at this year after a good weekend for both
- Louth and Offaly have very small outside chances
- Longford, Wicklow and Carlow, sorry lads, can't see it.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

FermPundit

I have only seen Louth and Wexford this season but I've been pretty impressed with Wexford. They are a big strong physical side and some excellent forwards in addition to Mattie Forde. Overall it's hard to see past the Dubs but Meath usually come good championship time and Westmeath have also shown this year that they can't be taken lightly. It should be interesting provinical championship.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

INDIANA

wexford struggle at midfield, fermanagh cleaned them out today, teams that don;t win primary posession don't win championships, very good forwards though.

Maguire01

I'd have to agree with ost of what you said Louth Exile. To be fair however, it's a weak group.  the only 2 Division 1 teams in Leinster got relegated (although acknowledged that 2 went up in their place!).
Dublin still have to be favourites, although we all know that it's not just form and likelihood of success, but the amount of money wagered that influences odds, hence Dublin are never going to have generous odds, no matter how bad they may be.

Hard to see Louth doing one over on Dublin, but Wexford are more than capable of beating Meath (wo you would have to say are a safe bet for Carlow).
Westmeath should get through Longford alright, given recent forms and i'd fancy Westmeath to make the provincial semi final past Offaly, given the fact they'll have had one game under their belt and much stiffer league competition.

FermPundit

Quote from: INDIANA on April 27, 2008, 09:38:12 PM
wexford struggle at midfield, fermanagh cleaned them out today, teams that don;t win primary posession don't win championships, very good forwards though.

Myself and most of the Fermanagh fans around me thought Wexford cleaned us out of midfield, especially in the first half. I don't agree that their midfield is a weak link
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

pedro

Yeah I can see it being an open provincial myself. I suppose you would need the Dubs to go out in that case though.

Quote from: FermPundit on April 27, 2008, 09:47:50 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on April 27, 2008, 09:38:12 PM

Myself and most of the Fermanagh fans around me thought Wexford cleaned us out of midfield, especially in the first half. I don't agree that their midfield is a weak link

I thought the same myself Ferm. The red fella with the knee strapping must have caught about 4 or 5 in the first half alone
St. Patricks GFC - Louth SFC Champions 2003, 2004, 2007, 2011, 2012, 2014 & 2015

Louth Exile

I had a quick look at the draw, Westmeath v Wexford final for a small outside bet, what odds would you offer Lone Shark?
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

his holiness nb

Quote from: Maguire01 on April 27, 2008, 09:39:21 PM
Dublin still have to be favourites, although we all know that it's not just form and likelihood of success, but the amount of money wagered that influences odds, hence Dublin are never going to have generous odds, no matter how bad they may be.

Or maybe, and just maybe, its due to them fact that they have won Leinster for the last 3 years running and Meath are the only team to come close to them in the past two years?

But I'm sure you are right  ;)

Joking aside, its a combination of both which have them as strong favourites, but I do think it will be quite open this year with several teams in with a shout.

Bring it on.
Ask me holy bollix

heffo

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 28, 2008, 02:14:10 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on April 27, 2008, 09:39:21 PM

Or maybe, and just maybe, its due to them fact that they have won Leinster for the last 3 years running and Meath are the only team to come close to them in the past two years?

But I'm sure you are right  ;)

Joking aside, its a combination of both which have them as strong favourites, but I do think it will be quite open this year with several teams in with a shout.

Bring it on.

Laois seem to have regressed, Kildare don't seem to have unearthed any new gems or made any progress, likewise Meath - it looks like being pretty much the same team as last year, neither Louth or Longford had a great league, Wexford seem to be on the up under Ryan and Westmeath look to have made good progress.

lynchbhoy

Dublin should walk it and the rest of leinster - well the teams look evenly matched alright.
Just not in dublins league. Its theirs to throw away, the problem will be getting all their men back at full fitness/match fitness in time for the first round after the meath game 'fall out' /suspensions etc.

Dinny Breen

QuoteKildare don't seem to have unearthed any new gems or made any progress

Our gems will hopefully be winning an u21 All-Ireland Sunday, they haven't really featured in the league. Nobody's expecting much this year but next year could be interesting for Kildare
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

I'd say Kildare will bring a big crowd to Thurles will they Dinny?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Quote'd say Kildare will bring a big crowd to Thurles will they Dinny?

It's hard to say with it being a bank holiday and a Saturday night game but I'd imagine we'll bring around 10K, should out number the Kerry boys all the same.
#newbridgeornowhere

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 28, 2008, 04:25:57 PM

It's hard to say with it being a bank holiday and a Saturday night game but I'd imagine we'll bring around 10K, should out number the Kerry boys all the same.

jeezuz, even Derry bring a bigger crowd than Kerry !  :o :D

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 28, 2008, 05:04:48 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 28, 2008, 04:25:57 PM

jeezuz, even Derry bring a bigger crowd than Kerry !  :o :D

And its not many counties you can say that about Lynchboy  ;D

To be honest while we wouldn't be favourites for the All-Ireland we are justifiably favourites for Leinster and should win it comfortably...