Muineacháin v Fear Manach

Started by Maguire01, April 27, 2008, 02:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FermGael

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 24, 2008, 05:04:45 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 24, 2008, 01:31:42 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 23, 2008, 03:16:35 PM

Analysing and comparing performance over the past 5-10 years is academic.  It's what is happening now that matters.  Last year is being used as the mesure because it is the most recent championship form to compare to.

Thats a bizarre argument - dont use the last five, just use last yr?? Surely its a more accurate measuring stick if you use a longer period - you dont need to know stats to work that one out.

No, because players/teams/managers change.  What happened 5 years ago may be of little relevance - it's history.  Last year is history too, as is the 2008 league, but that's more recent history at least.  If we judged Tyrone over the last 5 years, we'd say there likely to go all the way, but more recent form may suggest otherwise.  Fermanagh's great runs in 03/04 will have no bearing on tomorrow.  Monaghan's run last year will have little more, but by and large, it's the same players/team/management etc.

We will agree to differ Maguire.

As for tomorrow.  Well its going to be close.  Bottom line is if Fermanagh can contain T Freeman and not give a way to many silly fress than they have a huge chance.  Finlay has to be watched and McCluskey should be able to handle him, I just hope that Goan contains Freeman and clucker is kept at CHB.
Full back is an issue for Fermanagh and with Corey at full forward then Monaghan have a man capable of doing damage.  He was far too quite for my liking in the league for Monaghan this year
Fermanagh are going to need to win the midfield battle and make maximum use out of possession and keep the wides to a minimum. Murphy has been playing really well for us there this year but he has 2 great opponents against him.  He needs a hand and hopefully McDermott or J Sherry will do a job.  E Maguire is a key for us and is one of the best "wee" men about.  He will run and has some leap on him for a small man.  With McGrath in at full forward we have options in there and with R Keenan returning to a small bit of form, we look abit better up front.  With players of the calibre of T Brewster, M Keenan and S McCabe on the bench fermanagh have options and men who are capable of turning a game.
I think it will be a cracker and Brewster is the perfect venue.  Looks great, the playing surface is like a carpet and fermanagh just.  By a point or two
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

omagh_gael

wanderer

Being a bit removed from the Build up, it seems like a wee bit of mis-information from the Monaghan camp. McQuaid & Freeman are now reported doubts although locals that I know fully expect both to start. Suppose time will tell, but either or both would be big losses for Monaghan.

Being a native of the Erne county, I am quietly confident for this game (as much as you can being from Fermanagh that is) with that familiar sense of apprehension!

The team overall have been impressive from my point of view. Previously Owens & McGrath were relied on a bit to much to dig us out of a hole when things are going wrong, however with both missing games, others have stepped up to the plate. McCluskey is playing like everyone thought he would if he was played at CHB, Murphy has developed his all round game to match the fielding ability he has, Maguire looks like he is enjoying his football again.
Fringe players like Kelly, McElroy x 2 have impressed at various stages., with the biggest benefit being that half forwards are having to be wary of the Fermanagh half back's having to much time and space. Each has good distribution (from hand & foot) and none of them are afraid to bomb forward if given the space.

Ultimately I hope that game matches the anticipation, and that it the game of the year so far (or the worst game as long as we win!). All in all it should be entertaining 

haranguerer

Would also be sceptical of the freeman thing; its notable that the banty was quieter than he's ever been in his life before (it musta been killin him  ;D) along with the rest of the monaghan panel, yet theres a release about their key player on the morning of the game. It may be true, but it prob wont keep him outta the game. May be a calculated risk not to start him, knowing that if he can be brought on and the games still tight, it will be a massive lift to m'han, and he could carry them over the line. Mebbe i'm over analysing this....
...but then again I'm sure a crack shot like tommy freeman wouldnt shoot himself in the hand (and m'han in the foot)  :P

Tyrones own

Nice win for Monaghan in the minor, 2-03 to 0-03 down at half time,
came back to beat them by 3, don't think Fermanagh scored in the 2nd half.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Our Nail Loney

Monaghan to win by 4-5 points

Our Nail Loney

Tyrones own

Ideal start for Fermanagh alright
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

anportmorforjfc

Our Nail Loney

everone elses tv bucked or just mine??!

Puckoon

Both teams wasting alot of ball - but monaghan more so.

ziggysego

Just your tv I think. What channel you watching on?
Testing Accessibility

Our Nail Loney

bbc2 because im in work, some techinical fault... its back on now though

Puckoon

Brewster park appears to be in great condition.

ziggysego

I'm watching rte and it was grand.
Testing Accessibility