Muineacháin v Fear Manach

Started by Maguire01, April 27, 2008, 02:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ExiledGael

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 13, 2008, 06:53:02 PM
Quote from: ExiledGael on May 13, 2008, 06:49:26 PM
Can't recall the last time that Monaghan beat Fermanagh in League or Championship, does anyone know?
We've had quite a record againt them in recent years, even beating them in Clontibret and Scotstown in the League.

Not league or Championship, but we hammered Fermanagh in the 2007 McKenna Cup in sunny Irvinestown - not that that means a lot, but i think it's the last time we met.

Ah yes, missed that game. Beautiful day and venue I believe...

FermPundit

When thinking of previous meetings between Fermanagh and Monaghan I suppose the one game that sticks in my memory is the Ulster Championship tie at Clones in May 2002 when Rory Gallagher broke the highest individual score in the modern 70 minute game with his personal tally of 3-09. How Fermanagh would give for a forward with such a scoring ability. I think I'm right in saying that this record still stands?
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

FermGael

Quote from: FarneyMan on May 13, 2008, 04:14:37 PM
Fermanagh boys any truth to the rumour that Shane Lyons broke his jaw in club match at the weekend ?  As im guessing he was to fill in for Barry Owens, whats the next option, move McCluskey back ?  Maybe even start Paddy Mohan (Brookeboro), heard he was showing well lately !?

Heard that myself over the weekend.  Its a big loss for Fermanagh.
Will probably leave Hugh Brady at full back now because we have no other real alternative.  Would say that Corey will be rubbing his hands in delight at the though of taking on an inexperienced county full back but in a funny way Corey will suit Brady.  He's good in the air and a strong man.  He will be able to do a good job on Corey in there
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

haranguerer

Gallagher only tied with the record - he got 3-9 to level with someone (I think it was a dub) who scored 5-3 (clearly quality defending) back in the day.

That would be very bad news about shane lyons, but haven't heard anything. Wouldn't like to see frog back there, he'd likely be on a yellow card after 5 min, and you'd be terrified for the rest of the game. Paddy Mohan is good in the air, he'd suit the game rightly, but the danger is gonna someone sneaking in for a goal from a break- the cornerbacks will have to be on their toes. Should be a cracking game though, I think the two teams are more evenly matched this yr than any other in recent memory. Btw, I rem the time fermanagh last lost to monaghan in brewster, no coinicidence that (I think I'm right in saying) it was the only time they were favourites to win. Neither team suits that particular moniker well...

timmyot501

Heard McQuaid will be back for the Fermanagh game.  Think he played for Tyholland last weekend but I'm not certain on that.  Lets hope he is alright anyway.

thebandit

Quote from: timmyot501 on May 14, 2008, 12:01:35 PM
Heard McQuaid will be back for the Fermanagh game.  Think he played for Tyholland last weekend but I'm not certain on that.  Lets hope he is alright anyway.

It would be a massive boost, he is the man who makes Monaghan tick, and that became really apparent while he was out

gwan-ye-boy-ya

its getting close now..when are the tickets out?

Mid Mon

who thinks McQuaid will be wearing No. 30?

ExiledGael

Terrible blow if that's true about Lyons. Fancied him to be a surprise packet at the back for us. Brady it is then. Seems to give away far too many frees, but has the abilty and undoubted strength. Freeman and Finlay will knock over anything soft he concedes. Will need his best performance in Fermanagh shirt to beat Monaghan.
Who do Fermanagh fans reckon will be in the corner? (assuming Goan and Brady are the other two in full-back line)

FermPundit

Given the news of the injury to Shane Lyons my full back line would be Goan, Brady, O'Reilly. Although O'Reilly was roasted against Wexford he still had a decent enough league campaign IMO. In saying this I wouldn't be surprised if Clucker starts at corner back and you can't rule out Bogue getting the nod either. It's hard to predict what team O'Rouke will line out. My only fear for this game is that Fermanagh are going to be very vulnerable under the high ball into the full back line. I'd say Monaghan will probably see the lack of a recognised full back in the Fermanagh team as a massive weakness and they'll bomb high balls in from midfield all day long.

FermPundit

Quote from: haranguerer on May 14, 2008, 10:10:32 AM
Gallagher only tied with the record - he got 3-9 to level with someone (I think it was a dub) who scored 5-3 (clearly quality defending) back in the day.

That would be very bad news about shane lyons, but haven't heard anything. Wouldn't like to see frog back there, he'd likely be on a yellow card after 5 min, and you'd be terrified for the rest of the game. Paddy Mohan is good in the air, he'd suit the game rightly, but the danger is gonna someone sneaking in for a goal from a break- the cornerbacks will have to be on their toes. Should be a cracking game though, I think the two teams are more evenly matched this yr than any other in recent memory. Btw, I rem the time fermanagh last lost to monaghan in brewster, no coinicidence that (I think I'm right in saying) it was the only time they were favourites to win. Neither team suits that particular moniker well...

Aye, Fermanagh and the favourites tag have never gone well together. For anyone who doesn't remember the last time the 2 sides met in the Ulster Championship at Brewster Park, I've dug out the scorers from that game.

Sunday, 10 June, 2001

Fermanagh 0-14 Monaghan 2-10

Fermanagh scorers: Rory Gallagher 0-8, Tom Brewster 0-4, Kieran Donnelly 0-1, Mark O'Donell 0-1.

Monaghan scorers: Ciaran Tavey 1-3, Raymond Ronaghan 1-0, James McElroy 0-2, Declan Smyth 0-1, Gary Meehan 0-1, Darren Farmer 0-2, Thomas Freeman 0-1.

I think Andrew Moohan made his one and only appearance for Fermanagh that day. He went for a shot in the first 10 mins, missed it and John Maughan took him off straight away. Never seen again in a green jersey.

haranguerer

Was Andrew Moohan not Dom's folly? Dom brought him into the panel (I think!!), he knew him from his days at st micks. Imo, moohan himself got badly treated over all that. He was certainly a decent footballer, but I think a lot of people just seen him come from apparently nowhere to a starting county place. With public opinion against him, once he played poorly he was never going to be afforded a second chance.

FermPundit

Quote from: haranguerer on May 14, 2008, 10:31:50 PM
Was Andrew Moohan not Dom's folly?

Nope, John Maughan was the manager for the 2001 Ulster Championship game, Dom came in the following campaign. It was a terrible mistake by Maughan to give him his debut in a championship game. He had enough pressure on him already given that he hadn't featured in the league and the majority of Fermanagh fans didn't know who he was given that he was playing his club football with Carryduff. He was certainly a talented player and still is by all accounts. I think he was awarded a college all star in 1996, not 100% sure on the year though.

inisceithleann

Quote from: FermPundit on May 14, 2008, 10:52:05 PM
Quote from: haranguerer on May 14, 2008, 10:31:50 PM
Was Andrew Moohan not Dom's folly?

Nope, John Maughan was the manager for the 2001 Ulster Championship game, Dom came in the following campaign. It was a terrible mistake by Maughan to give him his debut in a championship game. He had enough pressure on him already given that he hadn't featured in the league and the majority of Fermanagh fans didn't know who he was given that he was playing his club football with Carryduff. He was certainly a talented player and still is by all accounts. I think he was awarded a college all star in 1996, not 100% sure on the year though.

Yeah Andrew Moohan defiently got the Collesges All-Star in 1996, at corner forward. He was at St.Mick's in my time there and apparently he had blistering pace but was a bit small (no difference from most Fermanagh forwards there.) Was called to train by Maughan on the Wednesday night and then given his debut on the Sunday. He was shafted by Maughan and it showed Maughan for being the idiot that he is (no Fermanagh fan ever liked him.)
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

timmyot501

I see today that Gary McQuaid is rated as very doubtful for the Fermanagh game.  I had heard he played a club game last week but according to reports today he hasn't trained.