Distinguishing Fenians from Prods

Started by Donagh, April 25, 2008, 11:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donagh

The 'Strange Eating Habits' thread reminded me of a 'diversity in the workplace' project I worked on a while back. Part of it entailed challenging prejudice and listed some of the ways in which different parts of the community identified each other.

Some of my favorite characteristics were:

Toasting the bread on one side (Fenians like it on one side)
Pole vaulting (apparently the Prod schools didn't do vaulting)
Haitch / Aitch
Length of hair (Proddy girls always had it short)
Looking for the (RTE) aerial on the roof
Evenings out (Sat / Sun)
Beer - Harp or Tennents
Fish on a Friday

Any others?

bingobus

Was working in Dennys in Portadown on a Audit about 6/7 years back. 3 of us up from Dublin and we all knew about the situation in Portadown and the divide.

First day, met the financial controller, A gaa head from Dungannon . He told us where the canteen was but when we were up in it to be careful as it was split in two sections, "if you know what I mean". We took this on board and then avoided the canteen till lunch, despite him asking us a few times if we had been up.

At lunch we went up and it was split alright. Every table was taken except, about 4 round tables down in corner with 1/2 sitting at each table. Uneasily we got lunch, went to these tables, scoffed the lunch and back to "safety" of office. One of the girls from Wicklow was particulary unsettled.

As soon as we were back, the FC rushed in and asked us if we notcied the split. Of course we did, then he broke up laughing and those us, we had found the non-smoking section of the canteen, while the rest was smoking. He thought it was as funny as fcuk.  ;D Had to agree.

Really enjoyed working there for the few weeks.

thewingedlady

The prods are awful ones for the hymn singing in church whereas the catholics aren't that mad into it.

Feckitt

ziggysego

Confessions. Have they nothing to get off their chests, or are us Fenians just sin riddled lay abouts?
Testing Accessibility

nifan

apparently us prods are into "traybakes" when we have visitors

when spelling using "AH" for a is a catholic thing

The Subbie

In my younger days if you pulled a lassie and you dropped the hand and got it slapped away she was a cathaholic, if you dropped the hand and she let you stay she was a prod, crude but true, them collegiate girls were a lot more ........shall we say  co-operative than thier convent counterparts!!!

thewingedlady

Quote from: The Subbie on April 25, 2008, 12:21:56 PM
In my younger days if you pulled a lassie and you dropped the hand and got it slapped away she was a cathaholic, if you dropped the hand and she let you stay she was a prod, crude but true, them collegiate girls were a lot more ........shall we say  co-operative than thier convent counterparts!!!

A cathaholic? Someone who was addicted to catholics?   ;D

Maximus Marillius

ye haaaa :D :D found that myself

eyes closer together?

gawa316

I always thought it was the other way about. Took me ages to get into any of the collegiate girls but the convent and st. frannies were fair game

Square Ball

MM was going to mention that one myself.

Fenians eat their babies
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Hank Everlast

catholic lads always had the short back and sides whereas the prods usually had more uumfph to the hair do's!

ziggysego

I remember hearing as a child in the playgrounds and some 'adults', prods don't smile.
Testing Accessibility

Yes I Would

The Subbie

In the old days the prods got a bus to school whilst the taigs had to walk >:(