Ciaran McDonald not named in Mayo panel

Started by RedandGreenSniper, April 24, 2008, 08:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayoman dan

Apparently he is in flying form for cross at the miute.

moysider

Not going to give up on him returning yet. Of all the mayo lads who have walked away without that Celtic cross down the years McDanger s exit will be particularly poignant. A lot of these lads were special but Kieran is a once off. When he goes we wont see his likes again - anywhere. I m not giving up hope yet.

Tyrone Dreamer

Whats interesting about that clip is the number of irish players prepared to stand back and watch 5 aussies lay into 1 Irish player. Gone are the days when guys like Peter Canavan at 5'8 or John Lynch were prepared to lay into 6ft + aussies. There are still some Irish players who are prepared to get stuck in - in the last series Sean Marty or Stevie McDonnell both got stuck into their opponents. One of the biggest factors in the last few series was the fear of the Irish players. To be fair to Ciaran McDonald despite being singled out for special attention he never once backed down and was prepared to stand up for himself.

Lar Naparka

I'm very much afraid that we have seen the last of Ciaran in a Mayo jersey.
Furthermore, the decision to opt out seems to be his.
It's been well known that he was furious at the way he was kept out of the game against Derry last year up to the last few minutes. He hasn't played with the county since then.
At the beginning of this year's league, JOM said he had been in contact with Ciaran about his fitness and would be kept informed on his progress. In other words, he had made contact with the man and was awaiting developments.
Then around the time of the Kerry game O'Mahony said he had invited Mac, Nallen and Ger Brady along to a trial game. He said he had given the "vets" lots of time to take a breathing space but he's be closing off the championship panel as soon as the league campaign was over.
It could be said that asking Ciaran to take part in a trial game would be an insult to the man but I'd read more into that "invitation."
It was an ultimatum.
"Are you coming back or not, and I need to know your plans before the league ends?" is what Mac was being told.
I'm terribly disappointed that we may have seen the last of him in the green and red.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

thebandit

the Deel Rover

He is 33 exiled g he has a lot of miles on the clock for both club and county, he is our club captain this year so im hoping he has one more year left in him . 
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Farrandeelin

If it is the end of him in a Mayo jersey, can I just say thanks for the memories CiarĂ¡n. However, I know I will probably risk running the wrath of people on here but I also think Mayo play a faster game without him. I don't know, but he seems to want the ball all the time and kind of slows the game down. However, he is still one of our most natural footballers and I am just sorry for him that he didn't get an All-Ireland winners medal. As moysider says we will not see his likes again and he could be included in the panel. Especially when Nallen is.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

QuoteI would have said always available for the pass. Always in the thick of things. Incredible footballer, and was a privilege to watch. Never media hungry either, just pure football.

You are dead right!
Back in 2006, when Mickey and Beefer were in charge, Ciaran got as bad name for slowing things down but he was strictly following the management plans. Remember the "nuts and bolts" theory or whatever they called it?
His job was to spray passes out to the corner forwards and have them then hump it into the full forward. Trouble is Mayo had no Paddy Bradley at no.14. As the campaign developed, some of the senior players objected and reverted to a more direct approach, feeding the ball through Alan Dillon.
Mac was only following orders and I know he stuck out like a sore thumb. But do ye remember the game against Dublin when Mac joined in with the others and played it their way?
I defy anyone say he slowed that game down!
I know Mayo play it faster and more direct now but wouldn't he be mighty altogether if he had a few younger lads to do the fetching and carrying and let him work his magic?.
Trouble was he didn't have talented enough players around him to interact with him.
This year might have been so different if he'd hadn't taken a hump.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

the Deel Rover

Dont think he took a hump lar . Just probably felt management does not require him at that at 33 he has given enough at this stage
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

blast05

Quote from: rosnarun on April 24, 2008, 12:18:25 PM
QuoteLets hope jom and co have some really good plan.

Ciaran Was availible for selection.
O mahony has now really piled the pressure on himself.After last years disater and no sign of improvement this year this looks like the action of a a very stupid man. they way mayo folded in most of the league games dipite being obvoiosly the better team points to the lack of leader ship that we only have had Brady and Mcdonald to Provide.
It takes a hell of a lot of blind faith to belive there is a coherent plan. but is that what us mayo fans are famous for

You're trying to stir shite with that post rosnarun

Aaron Boone

Fab player really. His use of the outside of the left foot was great. Hairstyle crazy at times.

ildanach

I have a feeling we will see him again this year. I dont think he was names in the panel at the start of last years championship either. If  i am wrong i will be very disappointed that his career has ended this way. He is without question in the inner circle of the greatest players ever to wear the green and red.
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Davitt Man

McDanger will not be back, not at this stage. I reckon he just wants to concentrate on club football and try get an injury free run in the Cross team and enjoy his football. He cant come back now either and upset the plans johnno has in place now for the c\ship, im afraid we wont see McDanger in the red and green again..

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Davitt Man on April 25, 2008, 11:29:32 AM
McDanger will not be back, not at this stage. I reckon he just wants to concentrate on club football and try get an injury free run in the Cross team and enjoy his football. He cant come back now either and upset the plans johnno has in place now for the c\ship, im afraid we wont see McDanger in the red and green again..

your spot on there Davitt Man
Crossmolina Deel Rovers

Davitt Man

My advice to everyone would be to go and watch Cross in the c\ship (thank god we dont have Cross in the groups again) this year and watch McD do what he does best because we wont see the likes of him again on the fields of Mayo again. Class act and never gave a sh1te about the media. Remember when Mayo beat Galway in Tuam to break the 47 year hoodoo, McD came off the bench and bagged a few points, a sunday game reporter after the game says to him, does it feel good to break the Tuam hoodoo, McDanger says "f**k the hoodoo". Class