Only In Ireland

Started by Pangurban, April 24, 2008, 02:59:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

Nurses and Gardai are seeking a Language allowance for working in Gaeltacht areas. A Language allowance for speaking what according to the Constitution is the first Language of the state. An allowance for employing a skill which years of education has prepared them for. Teachers who teach through the medium of Irish in the gaeltacht already receive such an allowance, while teachers in gaelscollina in the rest of the country do not. Why should someone be paid for speaking the language, when in the case of someone living in the gaeltachts it should  be the most natural  thing in the world. Is this an admission that the gaeltachts are frauds whose only Raison Detre is to draw down grants from government. There is much,much more positive and productive work too promote and advance the language, being carried out in non gaeltacht areas. Its time we put an end to this farcial,segragation of the country into gaeltacht and non-gaeltacht. Whatever relevance it once had no longer applies. If this madness persists, Bin-Men, Postmen, joiners,electricians and uncle Tom Cobbley and all will be seeking a few pound for the cupla focal. You could not make this up. A Book published a number of years ago, had the title, Are You Irish Or Normal. A question that is in urgent need of an answer now

screenexile

Stop talkiing guff!

If you want to see the value of the language take a look at this documentary and it will open your eyes to your narrow mindedness.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/inthenameofthefada/watchtheshow.html

Surely if Irish is not the first language of a GardaĆ­ or a nurse then they should be entitled to a language allowance to help them cope with working in the Gaeltacht.

doire na raithe

I don't think its guff, I think you have a fair point. It is just another part of the farsical claims that it is the first language of the state.

Surreal Steve

Quote from: Pangurban on April 24, 2008, 02:59:53 AM
A Book published a number of years ago, had the title, Are You Irish Or Normal. A question that is in urgent need of an answer now

???

his holiness nb

Pangurban, relax.

With cadburys caramel  :)
Ask me holy bollix

Tankie

Do Indian or French Nurses get this 3,500k for talk in their native tougue when an Indian or French guy come in?if these nurses don't want to speak Irish they should apply for a transfer as I assume they only got the job in that area because they put Irish down as a language.

Complete rubbish if you ask me, typical money for nothing!
Grand Slam Saturday!

Pangurban

Quote from: screenexile on April 24, 2008, 09:13:33 AM
Stop talkiing guff!

If you want to see the value of the language take a look at this documentary and it will open your eyes to your narrow mindedness.

http://www.rte.ie/tv/inthenameofthefada/watchtheshow.html

Surely if Irish is not the first language of a GardaĆ­ or a nurse then they should be entitled to a language allowance to help them cope with working in the Gaeltacht.

Its because i appreciate the value of the language, that i find this proposal so obnoxious, it mocks the language and the reasons for using it. As regards an allowance to help them cope, cash is available for classes, that is a much different thing than paying them to use it

Louth Exile

You are right Pangurban, makes as much sense as the public sector unions looking for pay increases in excess of inflation in a slowing economy.  ::) Grab, Grab, Grab
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com