Price of home heating oil

Started by Smokin Joe, April 22, 2008, 09:55:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blast05

Bord Na Mona smokeless coal - can't recall the exact name. About €14 for a 20kg bag. Using about half a bag a day but this is with a stove where there is far greater efficiency than an open fire, not just re heat output but also in terms of how long the fire will last before you have to put more coal on - i also have a flu damper fitted

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 22, 2008, 09:55:20 AM
Where the feck will this price stop at?

Just rang 2 suppliers, and for a full fill they were quoting me 54.6p and 55.7p per litre, and for a half fill it was more than 58ppl.

It was 35ppl about 6 months ago.

Oil will soon become unaffordable, though I would imagine that it has already reached this stage for some people.

I'm a slow learner - each time I get oil, I am consistently taken aback by the price, and therefore only buy half a fill. But it just keeps geting more expensive. I paid £285 for 500 litres last week, i.e. 57p a litre. In February I paid £222 for 450 litres, i.e. 49.3p a litre.

I see a gas pipeline being laid on the Armagh road out of Portadown - is it going the whole way to Armagh, and if so, how does natural gas compare to oil?

Pangurban

Despite all the propaganda nonsense to the contrary, its the fact that Oil is priced in Dollars that is the the problem. Until this link is broken ,things will only get worse.

balladmaker

QuoteDespite all the propaganda nonsense to the contrary, its the fact that Oil is priced in Dollars that is the the problem. Until this link is broken ,things will only get worse.

You've hit the nail on the head there, the petrodollar as it is referred to is the crux of the problem.  A few years back, Saddam touted the idea of trading oil in Euro rather than $US.  He was actually starting to get support with his idea from other oil producing countries, then the whole weapons of mass distruction thing coincidentally came about and the rest is history.

Two years ago Iran resurfaced the idea of trading in Euro and all of a sudden the nuclear question was raised against Iran by the U.S. citing possible military action....coincidentally enough.

What impact would it have if oil was traded in Euro instead of $...America would cease to be a so called 'super power' and their economy would head south very fast indeed.

DrinkingHarp

Does anyone use radiant floor heat?

I came across a product called warmboard    www.warmboard.com

They claim their product will improve overall heating costs compared to radiant heating installed in a concrete subfloor.
Don't know if it is available in Ireland but their website does say Europe. Looks like an interesting product that has benefits beyond the heat cost concerns.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Re: Natural Gas - caught something on the news this morning about Phoenix announcing a price rise of 30% shortly!!  >:(
Tbc....

illdecide

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 23, 2008, 10:15:34 AM
Re: Natural Gas - caught something on the news this morning about Phoenix announcing a price rise of 30% shortly!!  >:(

aye seen that on the front page of the Irish News today :o
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: illdecide on April 23, 2008, 02:18:35 PM

Was on radio this morning, Phoenix refused to comment and said that they will be issuing a statement this afternoon.
Seemingly electricty will be hiked up as well, but the fly fcukers are waiting until after some investment conference before making an announcement!  >:(
Tbc....

Bogball XV

Quote from: Pangurban on April 22, 2008, 10:38:30 PM
Despite all the propaganda nonsense to the contrary, its the fact that Oil is priced in Dollars that is the the problem. Until this link is broken ,things will only get worse.
Surely that's a good thing for euro/sterling consumers?  Whilst the dollar price of oil has quadrupled over the past decade, for us the price has only doubled. 
I don't see how the currency contributes at all tbh.

thebandit

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 23, 2008, 03:14:47 PM

Was on radio this morning, Phoenix refused to comment and said that they will be issuing a statement this afternoon.
Seemingly electricty will be hiked up as well, but the fly fcukers are waiting until after some investment conference before making an announcement!  >:(

To be fair, oil has risen by well in excess of 30%

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: thebandit on April 23, 2008, 04:55:27 PM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 23, 2008, 03:14:47 PM

To be fair, oil has risen by well in excess of 30%

Grand, but it's gas I have in my house!  ;)
Tbc....

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on April 22, 2008, 09:50:03 PM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on April 22, 2008, 09:55:20 AM
Where the feck will this price stop at?

Just rang 2 suppliers, and for a full fill they were quoting me 54.6p and 55.7p per litre, and for a half fill it was more than 58ppl.

It was 35ppl about 6 months ago.

Oil will soon become unaffordable, though I would imagine that it has already reached this stage for some people.

I'm a slow learner - each time I get oil, I am consistently taken aback by the price, and therefore only buy half a fill. But it just keeps geting more expensive. I paid £285 for 500 litres last week, i.e. 57p a litre. In February I paid £222 for 450 litres, i.e. 49.3p a litre.

I see a gas pipeline being laid on the Armagh road out of Portadown - is it going the whole way to Armagh, and if so, how does natural gas compare to oil?

Natural gas is indeed coming to Armagh.  It would be cheaper than oil.

clarshack

just got my electric bill today and it has risen from 10.69 to 11.11 pence per unit. not that much of an increase really or are they talking about hiking it up even more soon?

illdecide

Oil has went up 22% from January :o
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch