Jerome Ousted?

Started by T Fearon, April 22, 2008, 09:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougal Maguire

He did more harm to the GAA than he did good. Remember Datsun Donaghy ffs. I'd have taken GAA coverage off the BBC myself if that was the best he could come up with
Careful now

red hander

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on May 06, 2010, 09:52:33 PM
He did more harm to the GAA than he did good. Remember Datsun Donaghy ffs. I'd have taken GAA coverage off the BBC myself if that was the best he could come up with

:D

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: red hander on May 06, 2010, 10:34:50 PM

Datsun Donaghy was unreal.

norabeag

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on May 06, 2010, 10:48:23 PM
Quote from: red hander on May 06, 2010, 10:34:50 PM

Datsun Donaghy was unreal.
unreal is one word you could use to describe him

Main Street

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 06, 2010, 09:50:48 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 06, 2010, 08:36:11 PM
It comes from JQ himself. However he is not proclaiming himself to be Mr GAA (as some posters here have rambled about)
I've read the quote numerous times now. That's how he saw himself within BBC.
All I can say is that you are totally missing the understanding of the context of the expression, by a country mile.
Context is 99%.
http://www.indymedia.ie/article/96473

I have not met the man at all, if anybody who has met him can sincerely testify that he is the type to proclaim himself Mr GAA, then I will consider that the least likely interpretation has some merit.

Franko

It comes from JQ himself. However he is not proclaiming himself to be Mr GAA (as some posters here have rambled about)

In fairness I think that's not a bad assessment of his role within the BBC at that time.  If I am correct did sidebottom not spend most of his time commentating during Quinn's tenure?

MR99

Quote from: Franko on May 06, 2010, 11:17:32 PM

In fairness I think that's not a bad assessment of his role within the BBC at that time.  If I am correct did sidebottom not spend most of his time commentating during Quinn's tenure?

Jerome never proclaimed to be Mr. GAA in Ulster or anything, what he meant was that within the BBC he was Mr GAA i.e. was in charge of anything GAA orientated in the BBC.  I cant understand why people are slating him on here, when clearly in his tenure with the BBC he done everything possible to promote the GAA but was stymied at every opportunity by the unionist bigotted organisation that it was / is.  The Tyrone County Final for example in 2008 remained a news item for 5 solid days due to the controversial incident at the end, how much coverage did all the other county finals get that year???  Just compare it to the incident at the Newry Larne Irish Cup game this year which was by far a much more serious incident including a running kick to the head of a player who was lying prostrate on the ground, leading to the abandonment of the game, how much coverage did this get.

This was the type of bigotry that Jerome was constantly fighting against, we cant blame Jerome for taking the BBC to court.  Ok his arguments may not all be right, but the crux of his argument is!

Sandino

I agree  MR99 why do we always look for faults in our own?
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Throw ball

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 06, 2010, 07:02:22 PM
Quote from: Main Street on May 06, 2010, 06:58:40 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on May 06, 2010, 01:40:42 PM
On a separate point would it have been more financially prudent for the BBC to pay him some compensation, with a clause to keep quiet, than to use licence payers money to pay barristers to defend the case. There is no guarantee of success or costs being awarded.
That would put the BBC in a permanent state of liability towards any charge of  "its not fair".
Exactly. Such a move would open the floodgates.

In theory you are correct. However, if no publicity was allowed as part of the agreement that would reduce the effect. Also, if Jerome does win does that open the floodgates too? On saying that in the current climate how many employees will say 'I am going to take my employer up so that I can get a few bob'? Most people will keep their heads down and work on so as to keep a job!

whiskeysteve

Quote from: MR99 on May 07, 2010, 10:18:33 AM
Quote from: Franko on May 06, 2010, 11:17:32 PM

Jerome never proclaimed to be Mr. GAA in Ulster or anything, what he meant was that within the BBC he was Mr GAA i.e. was in charge of anything GAA orientated in the BBC.  I cant understand why people are slating him on here, when clearly in his tenure with the BBC he done everything possible to promote the GAA but was stymied at every opportunity by the unionist bigotted organisation that it was / is.  The Tyrone County Final for example in 2008 remained a news item for 5 solid days due to the controversial incident at the end, how much coverage did all the other county finals get that year???  Just compare it to the incident at the Newry Larne Irish Cup game this year which was by far a much more serious incident including a running kick to the head of a player who was lying prostrate on the ground, leading to the abandonment of the game, how much coverage did this get.

This was the type of bigotry that Jerome was constantly fighting against, we cant blame Jerome for taking the BBC to court.  Ok his arguments may not all be right, but the crux of his argument is!

You are suggesting that the crux of this tribunal is about the BBCs substandard GAA coverage, rather than alleged racial and sectarian discrimination that culminated in unfair dismissal?
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

NaomhBridAbĂș

as with every story there are many sides and it appears that Shane Glynn is getting the chance to get his say, adn he does a good job in the Irish news today...fundmentally, JQ should have had more sense. Whilst the BBC may not have the GAA at the top of its list, JQ should have had more cop on. I dont think his behaviour in all of this has been exemplary. There are several Catholic presenters at the BBC - Thoms Kane can do the coverage of the soccer, albeit, bland as f**k, and keep the head down...as can Siders and Thomas Niblock. Austin O Callaghan is excellent.

The big question about JQ is did he fall? was he pushed? or was he just not that good?
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

mournerambler

Quote from: NaomhBridAbĂș on May 07, 2010, 06:16:07 PM
as with every story there are many sides and it appears that Shane Glynn is getting the chance to get his say, adn he does a good job in the Irish news today...fundmentally, JQ should have had more sense. Whilst the BBC may not have the GAA at the top of its list, JQ should have had more cop on. I dont think his behaviour in all of this has been exemplary. There are several Catholic presenters at the BBC - Thoms Kane can do the coverage of the soccer, albeit, bland as f**k, and keep the head down...as can Siders and Thomas Niblock. Austin O Callaghan is excellent.

The big question about JQ is did he fall? was he pushed? or was he just not that good?

Couldn't agree more NBA.

Armamike

At the start of this case i had a bit of sympathy for Jerome's case, especially about the lack of attention for GAA. The discrimination angle was intriguing too. But it's not looking good for Jerome. Whatever about their coverage of GAA, the BBC have produced a few facts and points that would seem to strongly contradict Jerome's argument about this being discrimination.
And Glynn's point that JQ was employed as a presenter to cover all sports, not just the GAA, i'd say wouldn't help his case either.   
That's just, like your opinion man.

Maguire01

Quote from: Main Street on May 06, 2010, 11:14:03 PM
All I can say is that you are totally missing the understanding of the context of the expression, by a country mile.
Yesterday's report in the Irish News would indicate again that he thought he was MrGAA. Shane Glynn referred to JQ making references to 'representing' the GAA community and being the BBC's GAA man. Comes across again as inflated sense of self importance.

Also, the BBC may have a good legal team, but I don't know how much they'll need them if the facts and figures put forward by Glynn are supported by evidence.

orangeman

Irish News reporting this morning that according to the evidence from the BBC, Jerome would still have been working for the BBC but for his ill advised posts on this board.