Jerome Ousted?

Started by T Fearon, April 22, 2008, 09:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logan

Quote from: cornafean on April 30, 2010, 01:44:05 PM
Quote from: In the Onion Bag on April 29, 2010, 10:26:58 PM
I remember him publishing a book aimed at the  Christmas market on GAA/Soccer/Rugger but ended up giving it away  as nobody bought it. 

Quinn wrote a book in or around 1993 called "Ulster Football & Hurling: The Path of Champions". Its an absolute classic and contains a very well-researched archive of Ulster GAA records, which was only bettered 16 years later by Donal McAnallen's book last winter. Quinn did write a number of Ulster Sports Annuals in the 1990s, of varying quality, but it would be churlish to deny his ability as an author on the basis of one of these efforts.

You're absolutely right.

A great book about a great era when Ulster teams were only starting out.

In the Onion Bag

QUOTE: "I remember him publishing a book aimed at the  Christmas market on GAA/Soccer/Rugger.  This, to me, indicated a mercenary attitude showing he is prepared to perform whatever audience would pay" END QUOTE. 

Sorry if I failed to make my point here clear enough. 
It was not a comment on the quality of the publication rather a suspicion a mercenary character that, if correct, for me undermines any 'Mr GAA' claim . 
Hope this clears that issue a bit.

Myles Na G.

Quote from: ziggysego on April 30, 2010, 04:24:51 PM
Quote from: seafoid on April 30, 2010, 04:23:39 PM
Quote from: Leo on April 30, 2010, 02:18:44 PM
Maybe I have missed a few posts here but personally I found JQ to be the most boring sports presenter/reporter on the planet - and Logie the most embarrassing.
Both would protray themselves as "Mr GAA" types and maybe get carried away with their own publicity. Their absence from the airways will not diminish the image of the GAA in any way.

The GAA itself is seriously in default in failing to engage iby way of a professional PR approach with both BBC & UTV for the necessary improvement in GAA coverage.

what happened to Logan?

Cut backs at UTV, so Logie was let go.
When's his case up?

ziggysego

Quote from: Myles Na G. on April 30, 2010, 07:50:11 PM
Maybe I have missed a few posts here but personally I found JQ to be the most boring sports presenter/reporter on the planet - and Logie the most embarrassing.
Both would protray themselves as "Mr GAA" types and maybe get carried away with their own publicity. Their absence from the airways will not diminish the image of the GAA in any way.

The GAA itself is seriously in default in failing to engage iby way of a professional PR approach with both BBC & UTV for the necessary improvement in GAA coverage.

what happened to Logan?

When's his case up?

I don't follow you, what do you mean?
Testing Accessibility

Myles Na G.

Quote from: ziggysego on April 30, 2010, 07:57:01 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on April 30, 2010, 07:50:11 PM

what happened to Logan?

When's his case up?

I don't follow you, what do you mean?
If a joke has to be explained, it's obviously not very funny. Forget I spoke.  :-[

haranguerer

It didn't.

He's waiting for precedent...

unitedireland

British Broadcasting Corporation thats all that needs said

cabra_harps

Quote from: unitedireland on May 02, 2010, 01:08:55 AM
British Broadcasting Corporation thats all that needs said

'Nuf said.  ;D

mournerambler

Having read this thread with interest for the last week & the reports in The Irish News almost on a daily basis, I really can't see how Jerome expects to win his case.
For a professional journalist to slate his employer on a world wide public forum & expect to get away with it speaks volumes of his level of professionalism.
He keeps harping on about this 'religious descrimination' & 'anti GAA' nonsense which I think is a case of him playing his 'joker' card to try & drum up some support from the GAA fraternity , it's quiet obvious that he's throwing a hissy fit about his dismissal which in my view is down to his own stupidity & nothing to do with religion.
If the beeb were so biased towards 'Irish Catholics' as was mentioned in todays Irish News then it seems a bit strange that they have replaced Jerome with Austin O'Callaghan an 'Irish Catholic' from County Sligo & also have another 2 presenters of the same genre in Mark Sidebottom & Thomas Kane.
It's time to accept you were in the wrong Jerome, dry your eyes & move on.

dodgy umpire

Quote from: mournerambler on May 05, 2010, 10:29:29 AM
Having read this thread with interest for the last week & the reports in The Irish News almost on a daily basis, I really can't see how Jerome expects to win his case.
For a professional journalist to slate his employer on a world wide public forum & expect to get away with it speaks volumes of his level of professionalism.
He keeps harping on about this 'religious descrimination' & 'anti GAA' nonsense which I think is a case of him playing his 'joker' card to try & drum up some support from the GAA fraternity , it's quiet obvious that he's throwing a hissy fit about his dismissal which in my view is down to his own stupidity & nothing to do with religion.
If the beeb were so biased towards 'Irish Catholics' as was mentioned in todays Irish News then it seems a bit strange that they have replaced Jerome with Austin O'Callaghan an 'Irish Catholic' from County Sligo & also have another 2 presenters of the same genre in Mark Sidebottom & Thomas Kane.
It's time to accept you were in the wrong Jerome, dry your eyes & move on.

I wonder how many British Protestants applied for the post  ::)
The Boys in Red and Black are back

armaghniac

Belly telly

The former face of BBC Northern Ireland's GAA coverage has told an industrial tribunal he failed to raise concerns about disciplinary proceedings against him because he had lost faith in the process.

Jerome Quinn, who was sacked last year after he was discovered criticising the BBC in anonymous web posts, is alleging unfair dismissal and discrimination on the grounds of his Irish Catholic identity.

At a hearing in Belfast yesterday, Mr Quinn said he was overlooked for presenting jobs in favour of other colleagues and his programme ideas were ignored by the newly-appointed head of sports, Shane Glynn.

"I wasn't chosen for a lot of programmes and programmes I had were taken away from me," he said.

"There were many examples of my role being diminished, which I had worked hard to build up."

The tribunal also heard Mr Quinn, who described himself as the only senior broadcast journalist in the team, was also told he had to work early morning shifts shortly after Mr Glynn took up his post in 2005.

However, the tribunal was told colleagues who were promoted to senior broadcast journalists following his dismissal received letters to tell them they would only have to work the same shift in emergency circumstances.

During cross-examination, however, Mr Quinn — who is representing himself — conceded some colleagues who he believed were given preferential treatment were also Irish Catholics.

Tariq Sadiq, the BBC's lawyer, asked Mr Quinn why he had not raised concerns over findings of an appeal into a number of grievances about his employment.

"I had no confidence in the BBC disciplinary process and I don't recall putting an awful lot of time and effort into it. I didn't see much point in going and putting all my energy into that," he said.

The tribunal continues.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/jerome-quinn-i-was-bypassed-as-presenter-for-bbc-shows-14792660.html#ixzz0n4Be8FPv
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ONeill

This seems to be turning into the expected sorry affair.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Maguire01

I have to agree with mournerambler. I wouldn't expect to get away with slagging my employers online. Regardless of what was happening in his job, he was a professional and should have acted as such.

The whole 'Mr GAA' thing also suggests an inflated sense if self-importance, both within the BBC and as part of the wider GAA community.

Can't see any way he could win this one.

zoyler

It appears to me JQ is the author pf his own downfall 9apparently he was anythoing but easy to work with) and is using his MR GAA self image and the alleged mistreatment of him as anti Chatolic to try and gain some financial compensation foe his dismissal.

If he has such a strong case aqnd had been geviously mistreated why are so many of the well known GAA legal luminaries conspicous by their absense from the case.

This does not, of course, mean that the BBC does not have an anti GAA bias - all you have to do is look at the relative strengths of Soccer and GAA and count up the 'on air' hours devoted to the subjects

Maiden1

Were did the 'Mr GAA' thing come from, did he say that everyone is to call him this (Paul Ince called me Govnur style), or did someone on here come up with this name and then use it as a stick to beat him with?

The BBC is a tightly monitored organisation, he was naive to think that any communication in or out might not get picked up.  He would have been better logging on from home and if he was to say anything against the BBC use an obscure login, if anyone said anything claim it was the missus who must have logged the comments that he knew nothing about them.

Is it illegal to say something against your employer even if you believe it to be true? freedom of speech? or is there something in the law (or in his contract) which states he must not say anything that could be construed as negative?
There are no proofs, only opinions.