Previous topic - Next topic

theskull1

Quote from: Ulick on May 12, 2010, 02:34:13 PM
Quote from: Take Your Points on May 12, 2010, 12:06:06 AM
Interesting that it is quoted at the tribunal by IN and apparently unopposed:

67%  of BBC Sport live output budget on GAA
18% on Rugby
15% on local soccer

Does RTE price further GAA coverage off our screens?

Interesting that the claim wasn't opposed. I'd say the key here is the live output bit. Presumably the cost of sending camera crews to all the local soccer games isn't factored in, as they aren't broadcast live. Similarly for that kids competition in Coleraine and the golf. NI soccer games probably don't come into it, as that's international and excluded from the local soccer budget.

What I don't understand is those three percentages total 100%, but what about the bike race in Coleraine, surely the wall to wall coverage it's getting would take up a fair proportion of their budget, but it's not accounted for?

The BBC don't pay RTE for the video footage of the Ulster Championship, so what is the money spent on and who is it paid to?

Exactly what I was thinking ...lies damn lies and statistics. The BBC offer these little live portals for GAA people to tap into, but they do their best to keep coverage reporting away from the wider audience

They're no dopes
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Maguire01

I'd say the key here is the live output bit. Presumably the cost of sending camera crews to all the local soccer games isn't factored in, as they aren't broadcast live.
I was wondering, are the local soccer highlights from BBC cameras? I don't know myself and was just wondering if it was possible that the footage was provided by the IFA?
The BBC manage to get GAA footage where games weren't covered by themselves (or RTE) so is it possible that someone else is covering the soccer and providing highlights to the BBC?

thewanderer

I'm sure most gaa fans will turn to the rte broadcast on sunday rather listen to the bbc crap commentators and analyst's excluding big jarlath of course. wee peter was crap on tv3 just like big rough Joe.

Main Street

18% on Rugby
15% on local soccer

Interesting that the claim wasn't opposed. I'd say the key here is the live output bit. Presumably the cost of sending camera crews to all the local soccer games isn't factored in, as they aren't broadcast live. Similarly for that kids competition in Coleraine and the golf. NI soccer games probably don't come into it, as that's international and excluded from the local soccer budget.

What I don't understand is those three percentages total 100%, but what about the bike race in Coleraine, surely the wall to wall coverage it's getting would take up a fair proportion of their budget, but it's not accounted for?

The BBC don't pay RTE for the video footage of the Ulster Championship, so what is the money spent on and who is it paid to?
The stats smell like a spin.

But the BBC would have to send some cameras to the GAA games that they cover live,  for their game/punditry presentation and their interviews pitch-side.

Are you sure that the BBC do not have pay anything for the live feed from the RTE cameras?

talktothehand

18% on Rugby
15% on local soccer

would that be ireland's boggest sporting event you're talking about?

thewanderer

jerome you f---ed up big time. too late bringing it evidence now, why oh why didn't you get professional advise.

orangeman

Quote from: thewanderer on May 13, 2010, 03:51:30 PM
jerome you f---ed up big time. too late bringing it evidence now, why oh why didn't you get professional advise.

Looks like they might get him technically and procedurally.

stew

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on May 12, 2010, 10:41:58 PM
Quote from: orangeman on May 12, 2010, 09:20:49 AM
BBC fights back !!

Peter Canavan has been recruited to join the BBC Championship team this summer.

Thank the good Lord for that. They have finally got someone who knows something about football. Those other two idiots would turn milk.

At least they look human, Canavan looks like something out of star trek ffs.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Maguire01

But it's generally BBC trucks at the Ulster games - is it not their cameras?

saffron sam2

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 13, 2010, 07:45:58 PM

Each outside broadcast for an Ulster Championship match costs the BBC in the range of £25,000 to £30,000.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: stew on May 13, 2010, 07:06:08 PM
At least they look human, Canavan looks like something out of star trek ffs.

Aye stew, he was out of this world in the 2005 AI semi indeed  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Ulick

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 13, 2010, 07:45:58 PM

Am sure the BBC are there as well with their broadcast gear, but the BBC camera work on the matches themselves are not hard to spot. I think they did one game last year and one or two the year before. The BBC camera men, presumably more suited to soccer are usually a few seconds behind the action, camera angle too close to the man on the ball to see what is going on round them and after the ball has been passed it's like watching the golf as they pan about in the air trying to find the ball. Suppose we we should be grateful the are getting it done for them ex-gratia.   

Ulick

Jerome Quinn sacked for 'not being impartial'

Thursday, 13 May 2010

A BBC GAA sports presenter was sacked because he had compromised his impartiality by sending blogs criticising the corporation, an industrial tribunal has been told.

Co Tyrone man Jerome Quinn, once the self-styled face of BBC Northern Ireland's GAA coverage, is claiming unfair dismissal and racial and religious discrimination after he was sacked last year over the blogs criticising how the broadcaster treated the sport.

On the final day of evidence from the BBC, head of radio news Kathleen Carragher said the decision to dismiss Mr Quinn, a Catholic, was "not taken lightly" but that the blogs by Mr Quinn amounted to gross misconduct.

The tribunal heard that sports presenter Stephen Watson had witnessed Mr Quinn writing the blogs while at work.

The blogs meant Mr Quinn could no longer be viewed as impartial, Ms Carragher said. "The BBC has a very privileged position because we are a public service broadcaster and we have a duty to the licence payer to deliver news in an impartial and fair manner and if you are a BBC journalist you have to be impartial... and I felt Jerome had not subscribed to that," she said.

Mr Quinn previously said he felt sidelined after Shane Glynn took over as sports editor because he had less TV work and was given early morning shifts on Radio Ulster. Miss Carragher said presenters could feel sidelined "if a new editor wants to do something new with a new face".

But Mr Quinn's role of early morning radio reports was not evidence of that. "I don't consider doing reports on (morning news show) Good Morning Ulster as being sidelined."

Both sides are set to give their final submissions to the panel tribunal today though judgment is expected to be reserved for some weeks.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/jerome-quinn-sacked-for-lsquonot-being-impartialrsquo-14806002.html

What a snivelling wee cnut. Would you do that to a co-worker?

ONeill

Ulick you're a terrible man for taking British media outlets such as the Belfast Telegraph as gospel. You really need to open your eyes to the power of propaganda and stop publicising such organisations.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Ulick

Quote from: ONeill on May 14, 2010, 12:38:02 AM
Ulick you're a terrible man for taking British media outlets such as the Belfast Telegraph as gospel. You really need to open your eyes to the power of propaganda and stop publicising such organisations.

Has O'Reilly sold it already? Apologies, didn't realise.