Jerome Ousted?

Started by T Fearon, April 22, 2008, 09:21:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feckitt

Actually you are wrong it was Crawford McCrae who represented Great Britain Volleyball team in the Commonwealth games, coming in 8th place which is a new record for a Northern Ireland male volleyballer.  He was granted a civic reception by Lisburn District council and even got to meet legendary British Olympian Dame Mary Peters.

A good choice all round, couldn't let the award go to some crowd of separatists who do not even play their finals within the UK.

seafoid

I saw somewhere that JQ said the relationship started to deteriorate around 4 years ago. It must have been some disgruntled Armagh superior who was jealous of Tyrone's second all-Ireland. When Tyrone won their third presumably all hell broke loose.

Ulick

Quote from: seafoid on April 28, 2010, 10:43:40 AM
I saw somewhere that JQ said the relationship started to deteriorate around 4 years ago. It must have been some disgruntled Armagh superior who was jealous of Tyrone's second all-Ireland. When Tyrone won their third presumably all hell broke loose.

I think four years ago was when the BBC dropped the live Championship coverage - only a year or two after they picked up load of awards for the same coverage.

quit yo jibbajabba

by and large a good oul debate chaps; still in the jerome corner, i think, but some good points raised, esp by o'neill.

but i keep coming back to one point, that i think yous have all missed..

Jerome's a ginger.

Should this affect things?  If so, in what way?

Ulick

Some interesting views on this thread, with a few people having jumped the fence:

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=5435.0

cornafean

Quote from: Ulick on April 28, 2010, 10:26:37 AM
It was Cavanagh:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/7780207.stm

The judges were:

"They included BBC representatives Shane Glynn (Editor Sport), Mike Edgar (Head of Entertainment), Jerome Quinn, Margaret O'Hare and Jim Stokes, plus Dr Aiden Hamill, former member of NI Sports Council and Trish McFarland, Senior Lecturer in Sports Studies at the UUJ."

note Sean's quote from the same article

"Picking up the award, Sean said: "When you are being compared with recent winners like Darren Clarke and David Healy, it speaks volumes about how far Gaelic games have come in recent years."

Very diplomatic, Sean  ;)
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Ulick

Was interested in how this Glynn fella would think that his life would be in danger if his photo appeared online, so I Googled him in 'Google Images' and he certainly not camera shy:

Here he is promoting some prestigious soccer tournament which receives-wall-to wall coverage on BBCNI (childrens Milk Cup competition):

Here he is again promoting childrens Rugby:

And again at a some bike race which rarely gets a mention on BBCNI (as if):

And again, at the bike race:

Strangely there's not one photo of him at a GAA event. Of course though he may think his life would be in danger by attending such events or consorting with such people?

passedit

Quote from: Ulick on April 28, 2010, 11:12:59 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 28, 2010, 10:43:40 AM

I think four years ago was when the BBC dropped the live Championship coverage - only a year or two after they picked up load of awards for the same coverage.

Also coinciding with Glynn getting his feet under the table.
Don't Panic

saffron sam2

Quote from: tyssam5 on April 28, 2010, 12:46:09 AM
Are you sure about that? They are a public service broadcaster, with mandate for quality etc.. if they wanted viewing figures they could be showing various reality TV shows instead of Songs of Praise etc.

In this case yes. Sport is outside any remit in terms of quality etc., see ONeill's point re. Cavan vs. Fermanagh. I'm told that the viewing figures for Ulster championship matches didn't justify the money being spent for the rights. The BBC head office in Britain may have had some input into this decision though.

Quote from: tyssam5 on April 28, 2010, 12:46:09 AM
Regarding posters who made comparisons about other presenters from a Catholic background, it would seem Jerome was there 15 some years. Perhaps a glass ceiling type effect?

Possibly, I'll ask former BBC Controller for NI (sic) Pat Loughrey. IMO any glass ceiling hit was due to ability.

Quote from: saffron sam2 on April 27, 2010, 11:27:13 PM
There are two sides to every story.Too many people here are blinded by the fact that Jerome is a "GAA man". As indeed are  / were Sean Quinn, Gerry McCarville and Michael Feeney.

Maybe you'd elaborate on that for us

Certainly, being a "GAA man" is often used to strengthen someone case when there is a lack of positive evidence. For example, Fermanagh and Cavan county boards waded into the middle of the Sean Quinn controversy despite knowing the square root of feck all about the intricacies of the case. Likewise their "GAA man"itis was held up in both the McCarville and Feeney cases. Hope that helps.

Quote from: haranguerer on April 28, 2010, 08:56:17 AM
The BBC has to account for every penny and if the viewing figures don't add up, then it won't be shown.

Yes, we can give credit for much of the enhanced GAA coverage on the BBC to Jerome Quinn, but much of his behaviour can be considered at best ill-advised, at worst idiotic. For example, the venture to Windsor in his Tyrone top and his posts here.

If Jerome does win his case, excellent. It proves a bias we already know is there. But it is also telling that few (I mean none) of his former colleagues will raise their heads above the parapet to support him.

Personally I think he has very little chance of winning the case. I also think he probably knows this (hence the self representation to save legal fees), but feels the publicity surrounding it will result in some good. Fair play to him for that.

I disagree with the two points above though. Firstly with regard to the viewing figures: await the blanket coverage of the NW200 - I seriously doubt though, it gets higher viewing figures than championship football. Its more its treatment in sports bulletins which reflect the bias better however. How many play/watch hockey, for eg in NI? Or even rugby? Yet both get better news coverage than GAA matches. This is important too, for the promotion of the sport, and in encouraging kids to play it: anyone watching the sport who sees it listed after the AIL hockey results is perfectly entitled to assume its a pretty insignificant sport not worth bothering with.

With regard to former colleagues supporting him: are turkeys going to vote for christmas?

Firstly see above reply to tyssam5. The rights for the North West are much less than those for the Ulster Championship.

Secondly, I'm told the lack of support has nothing to do with turkeys voting for Christmas.

Quote from: Ulick on April 28, 2010, 11:19:48 AM
Some interesting views on this thread, with a few people having jumped the fence:

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=5435.0

Assuming, possibly erroneously, that I'm one of them, here's what I said yesterday.

If Jerome does win his case, excellent. It proves a bias we already know is there. But it is also telling that few (I mean none) of his former colleagues will raise their heads above the parapet to support him.

The bias I refer to is of course an anti-GAA bias, rather than an anti Jerome Quinn bias.

the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Main Street

It will be interesting to see what the BBC present as evidence of criticism by Jerome on an internet forum which was serious enough to sack him according to his contract.

Surely there would have to be a procedure if the BBC were unhappy with an employee, eg investigate allegation, confront Jerome then send a warning letter about said activity if found to be a breach of contract.

Also, if that criticism by Jerome was anything out of the ordinary from his everyday utterances on the matters inside the BBC /outside the BBC.

Main Street

Was Colm O´Rourke being serious or sarcastic, when he referred to insurance man Quinn,
'feck the begrudgers he is as a great GAA man' ?

tyssam5

Quote from: Ulick on April 28, 2010, 09:57:28 AM
Quote from: seafoid on April 28, 2010, 09:04:59 AM
Why would he be caught out on something as basic as internet posts? It sounds crazy.

I'm curious about these posts as well. As I remember his contributions 99% of them were promoting the BBC coverage. I  think the real issue here is freedom of expression - are the BBC really saying that their employees aren't allowed to use Internet forums?

Also I don't know about this using the Internet on 'the bosses time' argument. I doubt very much he was on a 9-5 contract, but more likely had to work until the job was done, so it is for him to decide when he was working on 'the bosses time'.

Wouldn't buy that argument either. How could one maintain that time spent on the most informative news/scandal board on the GAA today was not time well spent for a GAA journo?

armaghniac

A couple of points. The BBS championship coverage is fine in general. The issue is the week in week out coverage on routine sports bulletins. I see it as having as the taigs having a  section all to themselves, but the GAA not being presented as of interest to sports followers generally.

Secondly I have often said that the GAA is shooting itself in the foot it it packages its rights so that all media cannot have access to game highlights to show on news sports bulletins or programmes like the UTV one a few years ago. Live coverage of games is one thing, but preview programmes or sports roundup programmes should have the rights to use clips at minimum cost.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

haranguerer

Quote from: Main Street on April 28, 2010, 12:39:23 PM
Was Colm O´Rourke being serious or sarcastic, when he referred to insurance man Quinn,
'feck the begrudgers he is as a great GAA man' ?

He didnt say that.

offtheground

Quote from: Ulick on April 28, 2010, 12:04:04 PM
Was interested in how this Glynn fella would think that his life would be in danger if his photo appeared online, so I Googled him in 'Google Images' and he certainly not camera shy:
Strangely there's not one photo of him at a GAA event. Of course though he may think his life would be in danger by attending such events or consorting with such people?

Yeah,
And here he is dressed up as Paddy Heaney of the Irishnews.....