Mayo v Roscommon Connacht Minor Final 2008

Started by SLIGONIAN, April 21, 2008, 04:07:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: gaagaa on April 21, 2008, 09:02:56 PM
who cares really

I do too, no one asked ya to contribute

Quote from: Rossfan on April 21, 2008, 07:47:44 PM
I wonder shoud you change your name to Doire na gob****e.
Poor effort in Carrick th'other night alright but we got the 2 points which was the main thing.
I havent great expectations this year especially with the dogs dinner of a system the Connacht Council has come up with - which essentially seems to be to get a Galway/Mayo Final and let the other ladeens have a few games to keep them quiet.
Still sure we'll see how it goes. ;)

It actually stems from a Roscommon motion in 06 that they, Sligo and Leitrim deserved more games and that they should play off with the top two going into semi's to play Mayo and Galway. Ya then had the ridiculous scenario, after Ros winning the All-Ireland, that they were put in a qualifier round. Hence they had two games before playing Mayo in the Conn semi-final and ya had the Mayo management complaining about how unfair the system was when it gave the All-Ireland champions championship experience in advance of everyone else.
Wired really and this system they have this year looks like an effort to keep everyone happy. But it will end up keeping f*ck all happy. Ya could have one of Sligo, Ros or Leitrim winning four games in a row to get to a Connacht final (if they win their two round robin games, the quarter-final and the semi-final) and then lose the Connacht final to a team that has lost two games already (the runners up from the round robin who can still lose the quarter-final and be in a Connacht semi-final). Championship how are ya!!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

rocco

ros 0-11... sligo 1-06. good game of football, with some great points scored by both sides.

SLIGONIAN

Ya rocco, was at the game this evening and enjoyed it. Sligo 1-6 Ros 0-11

Sligo were probably the better team throughout but key players got injured and ros scored 0-5 to 0-0 last 15mins to run out winners. On ros there a typical ros side big strong men but very even standard throughout with no stars. Dara Lennon absolutely class from placed balls from distance.

With Sligo we have some top class players, outstanding was Johnny kelly at corner, is some prospect and vision and footballing ability is a joy to watch. he is minor next yr as well. The other corner back is very good aswell Darren Mcmanus did well on kenny.

Full back Conor Davey is excellent, read the game well, played from the front when he had to, and even came up to score the peno.

Jason matthews played very well and dominated his sector but went off injured. Darren Gilsenan lead by example and has some pace and vision. Enda another fine player and linked up well with the forwards. The only negative thing I could say about our defence was sometimes we overused the short passing and sometimes kicked long without looking. Midfield did ok, broke the ball well but ros got on top here 2nd half.

Barry o boyle did well up to about 40mins gone when ros brought on one of there subs and o boyle got roasted then and taken off.

David Maye was outstanding for Sligo, from frees, from play etc.... the turning point in the game was his injury and been taken off. He was steadying the ship and leading up front were Sligo lack any talent.

Harris was a major disappointment, slow, poor pasing and no composure. Hope he improves but hard to see the promise he showed last yr.
Clarke was taken off with 20mins gone enough said.  Now Luke Mcdonagh lasted full 70 mins, he was beyond poor, lacked effort, heart, determination etc..... Always behind his man etc... I was disgusted. He'll probably start the next day being a tubbercurry man playing in his home venue.

Sligo were fine up to the opposition 45. We made 5 subs of only one showed promise Sean cawley. Our FF line is very poor and although we have some class players playing ball into them is a waste, it just comes straight back.

I came out not feeling too bad, 5 or 6 very talented footballers coming through who are certs for the future. Only problem is this minor team has some passengers. Judging by the subs we dont have any strength in depth. We need some good forwards badly.

Decent crowd, and lovely weather. Myself and Dad were in stitches at this rossie women shouting everytime sligo gave a free away, "jees ref will you put manners on them" she must be a teacher ::). Of course rossies were angels to her :P.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Shrewdness

Fair play Sligonian for the detailed summary. So, that's Ros through with Mayo and Galway. Am i correct in saying that Sligo need only draw with Leitrim to progress. If points difference counts, Sligo are now -2 and Leitrim -3.

moysider

Attended an interesting challenge between Mayo and Fermanagh the other evening. Being a challenge I did nt bother trying to keep the score but I think Mayo won it with a scrappy goal at the very end. Fermanagh were a lighter team but much more economical with the ball they got and their full -forward looks a class act. Mayo had some individual performances but collectively look like a work in progress. They just kicked so much ball away. A few lads were not togged as well. Quinn, Nally, Cafferkey and O Shea looked very good.

magpie seanie

Quoteonly one showed promise Sean cawley

Do you mean Gary Cawley from Coolera? I wasn't there myself and wondering if he got a run. Gary is a really good player but with injuries etc he is not playing to the top of his form at present and thats why he's noy on the starting team.

I've seen some of these lads in the last couple of year. David Maye is an exceptional young talent. He should develop into somethnig special in the future. Harris has good raw materials but needs some of the flaws in his game to be ironed out. A bit too individualistic and maybe not fond enough of doing the simple things well. Young yet though and will improve.

Best of luck next week.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 27, 2008, 12:47:00 PM
Quoteonly one showed promise Sean cawley

Do you mean Gary Cawley from Coolera? I wasn't there myself and wondering if he got a run. Gary is a really good player but with injuries etc he is not playing to the top of his form at present and thats why he's noy on the starting team.

I've seen some of these lads in the last couple of year. David Maye is an exceptional young talent. He should develop into somethnig special in the future. Harris has good raw materials but needs some of the flaws in his game to be ironed out. A bit too individualistic and maybe not fond enough of doing the simple things well. Young yet though and will improve.

Best of luck next week.

Im not too familiar with the names but was completely reliant on the match programme, no18 sean cawley stood out when he came on, doesnt say what club for any of the subs. Gary cawley was no 26 in match programme. Not sure if he got a run. Hard to keep track of the subs coming on. I hear alot of our main players are injured in lead up to the game. All i can say is I wish all the players injured a speedy recovery because we need them dont have the strength in depth.

David maye was outstanding, scored a sideline. Now to be able to do that at minor says something. Fierce disappointed with our FF line. Moyles will have learned alot and will hopefully develop that area of weakness. This has the makings of a very good side.

On another note, I think your right Shredness a draw will do us against Leitrim to qualify on better scoring difference. Also that game BANK HOLIDAY MONDAY is changed from markievicz to tubbercurry at 7pm. Its a big game that as the winner is guarnteed another 2 championship games.

Rossfan

Only got in at half time. What I saw we looked to be improving as the game went on. Hopefully further improvements as the competition progresses.
We now face Mayo in the "lets be nice to Galway/Mayo" section of the Championship- at a Mayo venue- which decides who plays who in the Semis while at the same time ensuring Mayo and Galway get a warm up game. Of course if they werent so bloody arrogant in the first place and played on a League basis they could have 4 warm up games before the Final. ;)
But sure then they'd be like the rest of us and we couldnt be having that now could we :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SLIGONIAN

Good news for Sligo Supporters, Sligo 3-9 Leitrim 1-7 FT score.

The final score was harsh on leitrim but they only have themselves to blame.

Letirim were well on top in the first half but 10+ wides from scorable positions cost them. Leitrim were fitter, sharper and hungrier in the first Half with Morgan Quinn outstanding along with Sean Mckeon running the show and the 2 midfeilders showing well. Won 90% of the breaks and were on top in alot of positions. It was atrocious football in the first half and it was leitrrim 0-4 to Sligo 0-2 with 30mins gone and Sligo got a goal last kick of the half from Clarke the FF with a well taken finish.

Sligo were very lathargic and overused the short passing game with little or no supply coming into the ff line. The Half forwards went far too deep in 1st Half into defence which left a huge gap between them and ff. Credit to the FF line in keeping the shape. Time and again Ive seen this situation when the supply isnt coming we'd lose our shape and have no one up front. But this time our FF line stayed disciplined.

Sligo got another wel taken goal early after the restart to go 2-2 to 0-5 up but credit to leitrim came back got a good goal themselves from sub nialll clancy with pretty emphatic finish. From a sligo perspective our FB conor davey played from the front and went too far and ball over the top of him which let clancy in.

Well into the 2nd half Leitrim were still on top but missed scorable frees whch could of had them out of sight. It was Leitrim 1-7 to sligo 2-3 with 12mins left. Then Sligo eventually woke up strung on some lovely scores and cealed with a great david Maye goal but leitrims defending was poor. Sligo were on top everywhere now and ran out easy winners.

David Maye was outstanding for Sligo again, Had he not got injured against ros we may have won. Head and shoulders above anyone today. Johnny Kelly was again brilliant for us but capt Darren Gilsenan didnt really influence the game as he would of liked. Conor Davey was good besides the goal. Clarke played alot better this week then ros game. Showed well and got some fine scores. Even mcdonagh who I rightly critised last week did better. FF line were clincal and they had to be, played alot better than last week.

Leitrim just has no accurate forwards at minor. Missed some shocking attempts from 20 yrds out and had sligo on the rack but no killer instinct. I am very happy and relieved man to see us through, Now we are guarnteed 2 more games first against Galway on weekend May 17th/18th.

magpie seanie

Missed the first fifteen minutes but I'd go along with most of that assessment of the minor game. I was astonished at times how poor both teams were at the basics. Catching, picking off the ground, handpassing, kicking and in particular shooting were dire from both sides. Basically Sligo woke up in the last quarter and from nowhere played some really good stuff with David Maye at the hub of it all. He is a joy to watch and I hope he develops into the type of player I think he can be.

Thought the full back recovered well from the goal. Young Kelly at corner back did well and is a brave lad. Maher got through a huge mount of work and Clarke looked good to me.

On the shape thing - yeah, the FF line did well to stay in in the first half but they were very isolated and the rest of the team were around the ball. Maybe thats the modern way. In the second half when we delivered the ball quickly and accurately it paid dividends.

A big improvement needed for the next phase but signs at the end were encouraging.

RedandGreenSniper

Mayo playing Roscommon this Saturday, is it in McHale Park or the Hyde? Indifferent reports on Mayo so far, pressure will be on Dempsey after last year . . .
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

magpie seanie

Sligo v. Galway is in Markievicz this Saturday I think.

Shrewdness

The Mayo/Roscommon match is in Castlebar next Saturday evening at 7pm.

SLIGONIAN

Ya seanie I heard the same. 7pm in markievicz this sat. Looking forward to it and I wish the Sligo minors the best of luck.

Markievicz should be fully developed by now. It'll carry some atmosphere now (when its full)  with the stand full length and terracing behind south side goals. Looking forward to seeing it. I hope they have black and white buckets seats and close off both gables of the stand with perspects sheeting.