Martin Johnson New England Manager

Started by The Claw, April 16, 2008, 05:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

It was still plain wrong what he did that day and I'd be slow to forgive him for it. This appointment seems funny to me and my initial feeling is that its doomed to failure.

gawa316

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 17, 2008, 05:36:06 PM
It was still plain wrong what he did that day and I'd be slow to forgive him for it. This appointment seems funny to me and my initial feeling is that its doomed to failure.

What did he do? (full story please as I haven't heard this before)

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 17, 2008, 05:36:06 PM

Hopefully. ;D

Johnson was a great player for the rosbifs and an even greater leader but that doesn't neccessarily translate into being a good manager. Especially as he's coming in with practically zero experience in that field.

Seems to be an appointment along the lines of "well he was a great England captain so he'll surely make a great manager too?"

Might work. Could be a disaster.

turk

In fairness, Johnson was the main man. Against Irish teams packed with our lidginds, they all went missing and were dominated. The president - come on lads, was she really all offended that she had to walk on the grass? Really lads? She went home thinking "I've been disrespected?" This shite wasn't mentioned until a reason had to be found for ireland's atrocious performance. Move down the carpet - grand he could have, but he possibly saw a chance to pull a quick psychological stroke. Or possibly he just stood there.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: turk on April 17, 2008, 10:59:19 PM
In fairness, Johnson was the main man. Against Irish teams packed with our lidginds, they all went missing and were dominated. The president - come on lads, was she really all offended that she had to walk on the grass? Really lads? She went home thinking "I've been disrespected?" This shite wasn't mentioned until a reason had to be found for ireland's atrocious performance. Move down the carpet - grand he could have, but he possibly saw a chance to pull a quick psychological stroke. Or possibly he just stood there.

I couldn't give a f**k what Ireland do or did.
Fact is, he was a ignorant ****. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Yes I Would

Bottom line is that he is inheriting a very ordinary group of English players at the moment, who are behind Wales, France and could be argued Ireland in the pecking order, (although im yet to be convinced).  Cant see this making a massive difference, could be wrong!!

The Claw

Reading his autobiography at the moment.
He says that on that day in Landsdowne, he just went to the side they were defending and stood there, not intending to take Ireland's spot, then an official game up to him and said they had to move, Johnson, in his pre-match state of mind said 'what?we're not moving', the officials boss then asked them to leave and he said no again'.

Not passing comment on this, its just what he said.

I will say though that, apart from the book being horribly, horribly boring, he comes across as a decent enough person. He seems to know what players want and I dont doubt that he will be as organized as Woodward.
Books mentions fuckall about tactics though and mentions his discomfort with the media.
He has very few bad words to say about any of his teammates, which is admirable and any criticisms are well argued.

Very interested to see how he makes the transition.

turk

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 17, 2008, 11:05:53 PM
Quote from: turk on April 17, 2008, 10:59:19 PM

I couldn't give a f**k what Ireland do or did.
Fact is, he was a ignorant ****. 

well I can't argue with facts, can I

Moose

I'm with pints on this, Johnson was an ignorant c*nt when he refused to move from that side of the pitch, showed a lot of disrespect towards the President. But then he got away with it because the Irish officials did f*ck all about it and the same with the Irish Team. They lost the psychological battle that day and looked weak. Johnson 1 Ireland 0. They also got hammered on the pitch.... Will he make a good manager, really can't tell, will have a lot of respect from the English players though.

thejuice

I just wonder if Ireland just moved down the other end of the carpet and mary walked from right to left insteaad on left to right, no-one would have noticed. to be honest, load of nonsense really,

Johnsons an alright lad but still seems like a Steve Staunton appointment.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Hardy

Was it beyond the wit and common sense of whoever was the IRFU's "floor manager" for the day to tell them nothing was going to happen until they moved. They would have had to look stupid for a while, just standing there. Ireland could have continued warming up. In the end they'd have had to move and the result of the psychological battle would have been reversed.

Alternatively,  if the Irish team had had the cojones, they would have stood where they were supposed to stand, no matter who else was standing there before them.

passedit

Quote from: Hardy on April 18, 2008, 11:33:39 AM
Was it beyond the with and common sense of whoever was the IRFU's "floor manager" for the day to tell them nothing was going to happen until they moved. They would have had to look stupid for a while, just standing there. Ireland could have continued warming up. In the end they'd have had to move and the result of the psychological battle would have been reversed.

Alternatively,  if the Irish team had had the cojones, they would have stood where they were supposed to stand, no matter who else was standing there before them.
Exactly Hardy, bate before they started. Maybe we shouda got Pillar doing the stewarding that day, a few well aimed shoulder charges into the back woulda shifted them. Oh wait no oul fellas there.
Don't Panic

SammyG

Quote from: Hardy on April 18, 2008, 11:33:39 AM
Was it beyond the wit and common sense of whoever was the IRFU's "floor manager" for the day to tell them nothing was going to happen until they moved. They would have had to look stupid for a while, just standing there. Ireland could have continued warming up. In the end they'd have had to move and the result of the psychological battle would have been reversed.

100% correct Hardy.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: The Claw on April 18, 2008, 12:07:46 AM
Reading his autobiography at the moment.
He says that on that day in Landsdowne, he just went to the side they were defending and stood there, not intending to take Ireland's spot, then an official game up to him and said they had to move, Johnson, in his pre-match state of mind said 'what?we're not moving', the officials boss then asked them to leave and he said no again'.

He couldn't even sell that one to his mother. Hardy has it spot on, doubt if POC was leading them out that day that they'd have stood meekly to the side, at the very least they should have stood on de other side of de carpet eyeballing them...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...