Local Councellor Has Showdown With Local Scummers

Started by thejuice, April 16, 2008, 04:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

While the temptation to mete out punishment beatings to these liitle bastards is tempting it'll hardly going to solve the problem of scumbaggery/spide-ism/scanngery as many more will take their place.

Whats the real solution to this problem? Is there enough provisions for amusement? In areas there arent usually enough provisions for these kids. We have playgrounds for toddlers etc, but what for teenagers.

In alot of new housing schemes from what i see around Ireland during the boom years was lots of housing and a lack of provision for leisure, ie outdoor green space. They cant go to pubs, to big for playgrounds, my not all like sports etc......

So what are a load of bored teenagers who have no-where to go, so hang out on street corners to amuse themselves by causing shit. Sure, I know there are a load of kids in these same areas who wont do any harm, but we need to include some hang-out point for these kids which can be passively monitored, it can be done.

But sadly in a lot of cases it seems to me developers would rather cram as many houses and appartments on a site and who gives a f**k what these poeple are going to do with themselves as long as the developer gets thats 6 figure cheque.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

lynchbhoy

was quite happily opening this thread to see what was written, when I relaised I had misread it.

I thought there was some councillor having a showdown with 'Ann summers'.

Quite disappointed now.  ;)

An Fear Rua

I had the misfortune of meeting 4 such like young chaps in eddie rockets at baggot street bridge a few months ago, they had the misfortune of my fist. It was the only thing they understood unfortunately.
Its Grim up North

pintsofguinness

QuoteBring back punishment beatings,

What so this board can lead the mourning and crying?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

bennydorano

Quote from: Mentalman on April 16, 2008, 05:38:29 PM
On the other hand, going from the posts here, and my own friends who are teachers, a lot of this has nothing to do with social disadvantage, a lot of these kids are from relatively finacnially affluent backgrounds, if not cuturally or socially.

That would be my reading of the situation as well, labelling them all an 'underclass' is just plain wrong, they are just wee bastards all of classes that are doing whatever the f**k they like as the Police as operating with one hand tied behind their backs.  Then again if the cops did knock the shite out of a couple of them, the Shinners and Dupes would be out whinging. 

Minder

All this "we have nothing to do" is a load of balls, that is basically for community workers to get a few hundred grand into various "projects". I live in Belfast but come from a small village with one shop and one pub, now that is a place where people could say with some justification "we have nothing to do" but you didnt have the sort of thuggery we see in West Belfast and other "economically deprived" areas. I grew up with plenty of lads and they hadnt two pennies, it does not mean because you are not well off you have carte blanche to act like a hood. They stand on street corners drinking and terrorising people because they want to.........Nothing to do with "socio-economic" reasons or feeling "alienated" (another community worker buzz word)
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

pintsofguinness

QuoteAll this "we have nothing to do" is a load of balls

Agree, I think if the wee c***ts had been out doing a days work it would make a big difference.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Minder

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 16, 2008, 09:58:18 PM
QuoteAll this "we have nothing to do" is a load of balls

Agree, I think if the wee c***ts had been out doing a days work it would make a big difference.

Absolutely, i know a girl who is a barrister and sees these type wee hoors on a regular basis, we saw a load of them standing getting blocked/high one Monday evening on a street corner, i said to her surely there are better things they could be at on a Monday night.....she said "they dont want to be doing anything else" which just about summed it up.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ThatManJimmyMagee

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 16, 2008, 07:35:05 PM
QuoteBring back punishment beatings,

What so this board can lead the mourning and crying?

[Edited by Mod3 - Personal Abuse] am i speaking for the entire board when i say bring back punishment beatings?

Mod3 : You've made a couple of dodgy posts now, and I've given you the benefit of the newcomers doubt. I am now suspecting you have been here before, so calm it down.

ThatManJimmyMagee

I'll be interested to see that you keep this stance with every contributor and are as quick in handing out the warnings.

Ban me if you will, if it makes you feel like a big man!

nrico2006

QuoteWhats the real solution to this problem? Is there enough provisions for amusement? In areas there arent usually enough provisions for these kids. We have playgrounds for toddlers etc, but what for teenagers.

Just reading through it there and I for once have to agree with Minders comments.  This crap about 'Oh the poor kids have nothing to do...' is played out.  FFS most towns were/are the same.  Where I grew up you had nothing to do, and in fact some people did the old hanging around shops, acting the hood craic - but most of us but a £1.60 cup champion ball and played football/gaelic/hurling everyday without the use of a 'park' etc.  Blame the parents!
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

I agree with a lot of that nrico. Of course another problem, which we never had growing up, is that a gang of lads kicking a ball up and down the street is now potential for someone to report them. It's like a vicious circle.

nrico2006

True AZ, but in my heyday (late 90's), we had the same problem, which, as you said, seems like a vicious circle.  Everywhere we played there was a 'Ball games prohibited' sign, but they were ignored and in reality apart from the odd disgruntled neighbour forcing us to move an odd time we were allowed to continue for the majority of the time without any interruption.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

AZOffaly

It has spiralled even since then though. Nowadays any group of young lads congregating on the streets is seen as intimidating behaviour, because quite a lot of the time it is. But even lads beating balls around harmlessly are caught up in that, which makes them stop bringing the ball, which means they have less to do.

I live in a new estate, with a lot of young families and nice houses. There are 4 or 5 older lads (mid teens) who live there as well. They use the green, but they either puck a ball around, or throw a rugby ball around. I think that's great, and no one has complained (as yet) to the residents' association, of which I am a committee member. If they do I will argue strongly against banning them, because I think that allowing them to just play ball games, like we did growing up, is far more productive than having them sitting around on the kerbs or wherever just 'hanging out'.

That's not a common view now, apparently.

nrico2006

Yeah, its a pity everybody didn't hold your views.