Irish invest in "British" soccer clubs, instead of LOI clubs.

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, April 14, 2008, 04:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Another Irish interest in a "British" club, would think that the LOI clubs should be banging on his door to invest closer to home!

McMullen buys stake in Livingston 

Irish property developer Anthony McMullen has bought a 50% stake in Scottish club Livingston.

The McMullen Group has paid £300,000 to the club's current owner Pearce Flynn, adding to an investment from West Lothian businessman Ged Nixon.

McMullen was recently linked with a move to buy Gretna when the relegated SPL club went into administration.

Speaking to BBC Scotland, Flynn said: "We are delighted to welcome Anthony and Ged on board at Livingston FC."

Flynn was close to agreeing a takeover deal last month with an Italian consortium who wanted to take over at the First Division club.

Former Powderhall owner Eddie Ramsay failed with an investment bid that would have introduced greyhound racing at Almondvale Stadium.

McMullen was also interested in taking over at at crisis-hit Rotherham United, who went into administration in February.

Speaking about his investment in Livingston, McMullen said: "You don't just buy a club, you build a club.

"I'm coming on board because I want to build Livingston into one of the top clubs in the SPL."

Tbc....

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Livingston has been a black hole for businessmen over the previous decade, a number of guys have lost a fortune through their involvement with them. Good luck to his McMullan working with Pearse Flynn too, one of the biggest halfwits in Scottish football.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Thanks Dinny, I thought I was imagining that. I recall that himself and Roddy 'the mouth' Collins were trying to put together some deal to take over at Flancare Park. It fell apart, for what reason I don't know, and they turned their attention to Scotland.

Dinny Breen

I was only talking about him last week with a LOI head, seemingly he's a self-made howya, Roddy Collins is his "advisor"  ::)

Also was he not trying to buy Gretna as well?
#newbridgeornowhere

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Dinny Breen on April 15, 2008, 09:40:35 AM
I was only talking about him last week with a LOI head, seemingly he's a self-made howya, Roddy Collins is his "advisor"  ::)

Also was he not trying to buy Gretna as well?

Yeah, mentions somewhere that he tried to buy Gretna and also Rotterham.
Tbc....

Bogball XV

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on April 14, 2008, 04:53:18 PM
Another Irish interest in a "British" club, would think that the LOI clubs should be banging on his door to invest closer to home!

Aye, but there's absolutely no chance of making money in LOI, admittedly not much more in Scotland, but still.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

They looked at Gretna but they are an even bigger black hole than Livingston - anybody who takes them over is guarenteed to lose money.

Uladh

Is there a credible argument that the potential for a financial return is greater in the uk because they can attract regularly larger attendances wheras in ireland there will always be a very limited number you can entice?

AZOffaly

Of course there is Uladh. HAving said that, there is no good reason, apart from quality, why a city like Limerick couldn't get out 4-5k for their home games. At the moment they'd be lucky to get 4-5 hundred.

Bogball XV

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 15, 2008, 02:49:47 PM
Of course there is Uladh. HAving said that, there is no good reason, apart from quality, why a city like Limerick couldn't get out 4-5k for their home games. At the moment they'd be lucky to get 4-5 hundred.
TV money is the factor lads - at least in scotland you'll be able to take the crumbs from the old firm tables, over here, feck all.  Wages in a LOI club can be hitting 100k per week, it's not possible to make money here, at all - look at Shels - they bust themselves to win a couple of leagues.

thebandit

British clubs rarely make money. Irish clubs never do.