Tyrone v Down Ulster Championship First Round 8th June 2008

Started by To whom it may concern, April 14, 2008, 12:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

To whom it may concern

Bit of a radical change of thinking by Harte by the looks of thinks...it seems as if he has spent the week in deep analytical thought by the look of that team...

from the information i have, justin won't play, so i could see joe into midfield and conor gormley full back....

enda also a doubt so possibly sean cavanagh midfield and tommy mcguigan full forward?

Harte has always been a gourley fan, i know he rates him as one on the best tacklers in the squad, so he probably envisages him playing an important role around the middle sector, picking up breaking ball and disrupting the likes of ronan murtagh and ronan sexton on the ball....

it is a bit of a surprise that pj quinn got the nod, especially as if down go with a two man inside full forward line, he'll probably be left in there marking john clarke?...he's probably a better defender than carlin and more steady than swift, but didn't envisage him starting... as for mcgee, i don't think down will start mccomiskey, i feel they'll use him as an impact sub, so that, coupled with mcgee's lack of prior minutes on pitch probably counted against him.....

i feel with way the team has been picked, coupled with likely withdrawals etc, that ricey will have a huge role sat night...i feel he has lost a yard of pace for the corner, and feel the role he played last week could actually suit him, i.e, following a roving corner forward or just and sweeping in front of full back line....i expect him to play a similar role sat night

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: To whom it may concern on June 13, 2008, 12:06:26 AM
Harte has always been a gourley fan, i know he rates him as one on the best tacklers in the squad, so he probably envisages him playing an important role around the middle sector, picking up breaking ball and disrupting the likes of ronan murtagh and ronan sexton on the ball....

Ciarán Gourley, more than anyone else, turned the first drawn game against Down in 2003 around for us, and there's more than one or two Down lads who are acutely aware of that. I won't be at all surprised if he starts!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Quote from: orangeman on June 12, 2008, 09:19:35 PM
ONeill - do you fancy a naked run ?

Looking at that Tyrone team Id say ONeill has every chance of getting a run out :o.  Throwing him on naked could be Mickey's latest master stroke.

Dont believe the team will line up anything like that come Saturday evening. Block has shown himself to be a fine midfielder for Carmen (and even for Tyrone in the few games he played there inter county) but you dont play a top class defender in midfield and if he is fit to start on Saturday Id be sure he'll be at 3 or 6.

Again its hard to see where the scores come from but Ive been on the drink for the last few hours so I predict Tyrone squeeze past Down, Armagh and Derry then hammer Mayo in the quarters. SON comes back for the semi and sees off the Dubs before the Red Hands once again make ease past Kerry in the final. Easy ;D.

tieroan

People habe been crying out for Mickey to play the best club midfielders in that position Tyrone. For me the best club midfielders and most dominant are Gormley and Brian Meenan. Dont be at all surprised to see Gormley start in the middle with Sean.

rrhf

An interesting onew by Harte.  I would be excited about a Cavanagh / Gormley midfield to be honest, but Enda has been Tyrone best over the league.   one fear I do have was Conor not sdupposed to be 50/50 and enda 50 /50?
Tir Eoghain to sink An Dun in Marshes.

rrhf

downredblack

Replay: Down v Tyrone 
ULSTER CHAMPIONSHIP FIRST ROUND, REPLAY
Venue: Pairc Esler, Newry. Date: Saturday, 14 June. Throw-in: 1900 BST.
Coverage: Live on Radio Ulster MW, highlights on Championshp programme on and on the BBC NI website

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enda McGinley was injured early in last week's game
Enda McGinley will not face Down in Saturday's Ulster SFC replay, despite being named in the Tyrone team on Thursday night, BBC Sport understands.

McGinley has not recovered sufficiently after suffering concussion in the drawn quarter-final tie last Sunday but it is not yet known who will take his place.

Colm Cavanagh and Davy Harte have been passed fit to start for the Red Hands.

Goalkeeper John Devine, PJ Quinn and Ciaran Gourley have all been drafted into the team by manager Mickey Harte.

Pascal McConnell, Damien McCaul and Colin Holmes all lose out.

Down did not announce their team on Thursday night because they are waiting on the result of Martin Cole's appeal.

Martin Cole will be ruled out of Sunday's game and a possible Ulster semi-final unless his four-week ban is overturned.

Cole stated his case before the GAA's Central Appeals Committee hearing at Croke Park on Thursday night but Down were not expected to learn until Friday morning whether his ban remained in place.

Down midfielder Dan Gordon is also a major fitness doubt for Saturday's game because of a reputed broken thumb.

Corner-back PJ Quinn will be making his championship debut for Tyrone.

Ciaran Gourley makes his first appearance of the season at centre back, from where Conor Gormley moves to midfield, to the exclusion of Holmes.

606: DEBATE
Give your thoughts on this weekend's games

Justin McMahon, troubled by a hamstring injury, will also start while Colm Cavanagh has recovered from an ankle sprain and features in the half-forward line.

Davy Harte, who broke his nose in the incident which led to Cole's suspension, resumes his wing-back role.

Sean Cavanagh, who was named at midfield for last weekend's game, but played at full-forward, will this time wear the number 14 shirt.

Down boss Ross Carr's interim relief from an eight week suspension is still likely to apply this weekend.

He awaits a hearing before the Disputes Resolution Authority to fight a ban imposed for allegedly verbally abusing a match referee and that hearing is expected to take place next Thursday.

Dan Gordon suffered the injury during Sunday's 2-8 to 2-8 draw but still went on to win the man-of-the-match award after a superb performance.

Ambrose Rodgers, an impressive sub at Healy Park, is expected to replace Gordon in the Mourne midfield.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tyrone: J Devine, R McMenamin, J McMahon, PJ Quinn, D Harte, C Gourley, P Jordan, C Gormley, AN Other, B Dooher, B McGuigan, C Cavanagh, M Penrose, S Cavanagh

loughshore lad

Quote from: orangeman on June 12, 2008, 10:25:03 PM
Quote from: Carmen Stateside on June 12, 2008, 10:18:29 PM
His brother Frank was as good as i seen hitting frees! Does he still hit them for the Bo?

Frank is not only a great free taker but a great player as well - is still playing very well and hitting frees for us alright. Tommy is not bad the frees either and Stevie Coney still takes the odd fifty.

Too right Frank is a fantastic free taker, I have saw him score frees with the left never mind the right. He has consistently been the best scorer in club football in Tyrone over the last 10 years in my opinion. I think the Ardboe situation shows how much Tyrone are struggling for a free taker - Tommy was consistently taking frees for Tyrone but there would be no chance of him taking them for Ardboe.

Aristotle Flynn

Any word on Monk's appeal? I wouldn't expect him to win it. When will Down name the team? No matter what team is named I wouldn't expect it to field as named.
No bother getting tickets but I still expect the game to sell out. Theres huge interest all around south Down.
A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion.

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

orangeman

According to today's Indo, DJ KANE has been handed an additional 6 month touchline ban !

This story is just not funny anymore !

D4S

Our association is now becoming a laughing stock...it's as if there are players+managers on trial every week...before we know it they will be calling spectators infront of the CCCC for cursing at matches or shouting abuse at referees...they could be very busy!!!!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

orangeman

Quote from: D4S on June 13, 2008, 10:42:43 AM
Our association is now becoming a laughing stock...it's as if there are players+managers on trial every week...before we know it they will be calling spectators infront of the CCCC for cursing at matches or shouting abuse at referees...they could be very busy!!!!

The suits are ruining the game - many of them wouldn't know what it is like to be managing a team and dealing with the pressures of this. It's time they took a step or two back amd reasessed the situation.

D4S

Just chatting to 1 of the down players...coles appeal was unsuccessful he's out for 4 weeks! Disgrace!
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

amallon

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Match Betting
70 Mins Betting
Selection Price   
Down  7/4 
Draw  15/2 
Tyrone  4/7 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - To Qualify For Ulster Semi Final
Selection Price   
Down  6/4 
Tyrone  1/2 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Handicap Betting
Selection Hcp Price   
Down  +2 10/11 
Tie  +2 15/2 
Tyrone  -2 11/10 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Handicap Betting i
Selection Hcp Price   
Down  +5 1/4 
Tie  +5 14/1 
Tyrone  -5 3/1 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Handicap Betting ii
Selection Hcp Price   
Down  +1 7/5 
Tie  +1 15/2 
Tyrone  -1 5/7 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Handicap Betting iii
Selection Hcp Price   
Down  -1 9/4 
Tie  -1 15/2 
Tyrone  +1 4/9 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Handicap Betting iv
Selection Hcp Price   
Down  +7 1/12 
Tie  +7 12/1 
Tyrone  -7 15/2 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Double Result
Selection Price   
Down - Down  7/2 
Down - Draw  25/1 
Down - Tyrone  6/1 
Draw - Down  16/1 
Draw - Draw  40/1 
Draw - Tyrone  11/1 
Tyrone - Down  7/1 
Tyrone - Draw  14/1 
Tyrone - Tyrone  6/5 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Winning Margin
Selection Price   
Down 1-2  5/1 
Down 3-4  13/2 
Down 5-6  11/1 
Down 7-8  18/1 
Down 9-10  35/1 
Down 11-12  80/1 
Down 13-14  150/1 
Down 15-16  250/1 
Tyrone 1-2  9/2 
Tyrone 3-4  5/1 
Tyrone 5-6  6/1 
Tyrone 7-8  9/1 
Tyrone 9-10  16/1 
Tyrone 11-12  33/1 
Tyrone 13-14  66/1 
Tyrone 15-16  100/1 
Draw  15/2 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Total Goals
Selection Price   
Under 1.5  11/8 
Over 1.5  8/15 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Exact Number Of Goals
Selection Price   
No Goals  13/2 
Exactly 1  9/4 
Exactly 2  5/2 
Exactly 3  9/2 
Exactly 4  7/1 
5 Or More  8/1 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Score First - Lead H/T - Win F/T
Selection Price   
Tyrone - Tyrone - Tyrone  11/4 
Down - Tyrone - Tyrone  10/3 
Down - Down - Down  13/2 
Tyrone - Down - Down  7/1 
Down - Down - Tyrone  10/1 
Tyrone - Down - Tyrone  10/1 
Down - Tyrone - Down  12/1 
Tyrone - Tyrone - Down  12/1 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Team To Score 1st Goal
Selection Price   
Down  13/10 
No Goal  13/2 
Tyrone  5/6 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Team To Score 1st Point
Selection Price   
Down  EVS 
Tyrone  4/5 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Half Time Result
Selection Price   
Down  19/10 
Draw  11/2 
Tyrone  8/13 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Draw No Bet
70 Minutes
Selection Price   
Down  6/4 
Tyrone  1/2 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Highest Scoring Half
Selection Price   
First Half  EVS 
Second Half  EVS 
Tie  15/2 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Team Specials
Selection Price   
Down To Win Both Halves  13/2 
Tyrone To Win Both Halves  7/4 
Down To Score 1st Goal & Win In 70 Minutes  7/2 
Tyrone To Score 1st Goal & Win In 70 Minutes  11/8 
No Goal To Be Scored & Down Win In 70 Minutes  18/1 
No Goal To Be Scored & Tyrone Win In 70 Minutes  10/1 
Match To Finish A Draw & Down Qualify  24/1 
Match To Finish A Draw & Tyrone Qualify  11/1 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Scoring Specials
Selection Price   
Down To Score A Goal  1/2 
Tyrone To Score A Goal  1/3 
Down Not To Score A Goal  6/4 
Tyrone Not To Score A Goal  2/1 
A Goal To Be Scored Direct From A Penalty  6/1 
A Penalty To Be Saved Or Missed  10/1 
Any Sub To Score A Goal  6/1 

Ulster SFC - Down v Tyrone 14 Jun 19:00 - Red Card Specials
Selection Price   
Any Player To Be Sent Off  11/8 
Any Down Player To Be Sent Off  3/1 
Any Tyrone Player To Be Sent Off  10/3 
A Player From Both Teams To Be Sent Off  8/1 
No Player To Be Sent Off  8/15 
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.