Tyrone v Down Ulster Championship First Round 8th June 2008

Started by To whom it may concern, April 14, 2008, 12:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mickey Linden

Quote from: downredblack on June 10, 2008, 09:42:01 AM
Quote from: amallon on June 10, 2008, 09:06:21 AM
I got a text to say that Gordan has a broken thumb. Anyone hear anything?

Just heard that myself 4-6 weeks out  , dont know if it 100%

Absolutely massive blow for down if true!

orangeman

Quote from: rrhf on June 10, 2008, 10:17:24 AM
Loughshore lad, Kelvin ruled it fror 25 minutes and then Mc Conville punched it away for the next 35 mins and it was a huge battle,  both players are better than Hub and Holmes at the moment.  Thats my point. 

Obviously MH doesn't think either are better - but at least your man got a chance at the panel.

Mc Conville has staked his claim all over Tyrone as past few years in the top division but MH has paid no heed.

I'd say privately, he'd be thinking today that he wished he was on the panel !

feetofflames

Was talking to a mate of Dan Gordons there, all the talk is b/s.
Chief Wiggum

clarshack

is the replay being shown live? dont see anything on the bbc or rte websites.

nrico2006

I don't see what Hub or Holmes offer in midfield - we may as well start Peter Donnelly in there sure, he scared the dung out of Louth 2 years ago!  I can't understand why more big men haven't been tried in the middle whenever we have been playing the McKenna or league - I have seen quite a few around the county and irrespective of division you have McConville, Rouse and Lafferty from Urney who are great fielders of the ball.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Fuzzman

Lads I think ye are all underestimating the effect of the loss of McGinley and the heavy knock Block took

I watched it again last night and the amount of times players just ran past Block and Sean Cavanagh was unreal.
Block was marking Benny when he goaled and he just left him to come across to the man on the ball and so he flicked it over Block's head who then couldn't catch him.
Was he still dazed/winded after that shoulder into the chest?

I don't know was it cos of their injuries, the heat, they thought the match was won though I'm thinking of late on or was it the
"We are Tyrone and we always pull thru" factor but I know Dooher wouldn't let it happen and I think usually neither would Conor

I think its the kick in the arse we needed cos the 1st 20 mins we fooled ourselves into thinking
"Hey the Big times are back - Look at the type of football we can play"

My main concern for Sat is will Down play much more direct ball into 2 man FF line of BC and the wee lad whose name I've just forgotten.
I think Justy did well on Sunday but the supply was poor.

I think Tyrone have more to give as they were brutal for long periods of the game whereas I think Down played above what they expected themselves and yeah they may have more self belief now but the cat is outta the bag I HOPE.

loughshore lad

Quote from: rrhf on June 10, 2008, 10:17:24 AM
Loughshore lad, Kelvin ruled it fror 25 minutes and then Mc Conville punched it away for the next 35 mins and it was a huge battle,  both players are better than Hub and Holmes at the moment.  Thats my point. 

Totally agree on the point in bold. As orangeman has pointed out Kelvin has got a bit of a run in the county squad for a few seasons, he didnt do exceptionally well but at the same time he didnt get much game time from memory. John never played a minute in any game not even a McKenna cup one and I just cant work it out when you look at the likes of Conall Martin who was on the McKenna cup squad this season and Peter Donnelly who has been hanging round the squad since about 2004.

nrico2006

QuoteI just cant work it out when you look at the likes of Conall Martin who was on the McKenna cup squad this season and Peter Donnelly who has been hanging round the squad since about 2004.

Exactly what in my eyes contradicts peoples view that MH has assessed all the other options in the county - this can't be realistically the case if he has stuck by certain players who were realistically never going to feature and were simply favourites of the manager.  What kind of form is Michael Murphy in these days?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

young anail

Folks, I know Donnelly seems to come in for a right bit of stick on the board here and rightly so in some of his performances for the county, though he seems to do well at Jordanstown and was brilliant for the club last year. But to reiterate rrh view on Mc Conville, I thought Donnelly also got the better of big John in Ardboe in the recent league encounter and has been our stand out performer for the club so far. Also think Kelvin is a super player and throughly deserved a better chance. When he plays well, Donaghmore tend to as well.

phpearse

QuoteWhat kind of form is Michael Murphy in these days?

Played first game of season against Donaghmore and has been ruled out with injury since. went through operation recently and won't feature for rest of year.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Ultimately even if these lads are good enough for Tyrone there little or no prospect of them being called onto the panel this summer. Mickey Harte has always favoured bringing on lads who have played intercounty minor and under 21 rather than players who are doing well in club football and that policy has served him very well. The likes of Kelvin Hughes/Rouse and Donnelly (who is lucky to still be on the panel) havent really totally convinced when given their chance.
Had Tyrone finished the job on Sunday then we wouldnt be reading about these good club players who should be on the panel. Id like to see Joe McMahon and Sean Cavanagh at midfield for Saturday evening.

nrico2006

QuoteHad Tyrone finished the job on Sunday then we wouldnt be reading about these good club players who should be on the panel. Id like to see Joe McMahon and Sean Cavanagh at midfield for Saturday evening.

I doubt that as the mifield issue has been raised before and there is no way that it wouldn't have been raised after Sunday's performance if we had won or not.  I can't understand why we cannot get one (2 would be a dream) outstanding midfielder from within the county, or even one great fielder of the ball.  As I mentioned previously, Ronan Lafferty from Urney has never really been given a shot and he is as good a fielder of a ball as I have seen.

orangeman

Midfield had been a problem form 2003 !

It has been covered over simply cos we had deadly forwards and half backs who attacked constantly

Where were the attacking half backs last Sunday ?

rrhf

Naive LDA from a man of your standing - When is the time to raise the midfield problem - when we are out of the Ulster championship on Saturday?

clarshack

as someone said to me recently - 'hub and peter donnelly wouldnt get a ball in woolworths'