Tyrone v Down Ulster Championship First Round 8th June 2008

Started by To whom it may concern, April 14, 2008, 12:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

western exile

Quote from: To whom it may concern on June 04, 2008, 11:29:23 PM
I actually think McGuigan would be a great centre half back, if we persist with the sweeper system aka Gavin Devlin, i feel he could play that role and would excel in that role as he has great ability to distribute the ball and use possession....in some cases over the last few years particularly in 05, when gavin devlin was playing, he almost played like a second no.6, often positioning himself as a sweeper from deep and instigating attacks...it's an interesting role, that with the right system and players, could be looked at further i feel

That is similar to the role that Liam Doyle is currently doing for Down. However it leaves his defensive responsibilities exposed

western exile

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on June 04, 2008, 07:39:30 PM

Quote from: 5iveTimes on June 04, 2008, 10:04:44 AM
I cannot understand why the Tyrone posters are being so pessimistic. After all this is a Division 1 side against a Division 3 side. That alone speaks volumes....

Exactly! Just like Monaghan showed Fermanagh, eh? Nice try lads  ;)

Nice try yourself  ;D  .  Monaghan and Fermanagh are now both Division 2 teams, while Tyrone and Down are still Div 1 and Div 3 respectively  :-\

tyrone86

Quote from: orangeman on June 04, 2008, 10:58:12 PM

How did he do at no. 6 ?

It wasn't his finest 15 minutes, he was far too loose. The other 45 when he went back to CHF where the reason Tyrone got out of jail that day. I think the logic of it was the reason that TWIMC was making in that he could control the game from CHB, it didn't go exactly to plan but in the grand scheme of things it didn't really matter

ONeill

It would do the heart good to see the two Brians playing somewhere near their best sooner rather than later. McGuigan can bring out the best in others, as long they're on the same wavelength.

Twas interesting reading Dooher's interview earlier in the week. He twice mentioned that he wondered for a fleeting moment why he was putting in all this effort at all during his comeback, as in what was it all for. After 4 Ulsters, 2 Sams and 2 Leagues over 12 years you'd have forgiven him for calling it a day. Says something for the man, and this panel, that he thinks it's worth that one last effort.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

rrhf

Some interesting memories, some of them hazy enough to me, as some of the games played during my student days.  On the 99 game, Cushs last Tyrone jersey, he didnt shine that day but got 8 and MOM the week before V Fermanagh.  Tyrone should have won that game and should have taken Ulster that year - they had a great mix of exuberant youth and experience - McAnallan, O Neill, Mc Gurk and Gourley/ Cush Canavan/ Cavlan / Lawn.  Remember Mc Cartan in an Ulster rugby top on the sideline on crutches, I remember an old mate Alan Molloy and the great Cormac lacing each other in a youthful but very physical midfield battle.   Poor Paul Mc Gurk was hung out to dry on the maestro himself Mickey Linden and Tyrone simply collapsed from a winning position as they did so many times in the pre Mickey Harte era.  Was on the way to Turkey after the game and got half the face burnt to a cinder... ran about Turkey like a Tyrone flag with creme on one side of the face for the week - how the women flocked!
As for the 98 game.  Eoin Gormley and Brian Mc Guckin from memory played that day.  It was a depressing year for Tyrone football and the county in general the year a very youthful Doanghmore side shocked the county and put Ulster finalists errigal to the sword in the O Neill Cup first round, defeating Drmore in Omagh but were defeated by a pumped up Omagh team in a semi final refixture just 4 weeks after the Omagh bomb.  Ardboe came in under the radar abnd messrs Mc Guigan(2) Devlin, Coleman at a very young age and old Devlin (Fay) won their one and only county medals.   Remember the mad Benny Hurl on Mc Bride in the final.  How many county medals did he finish with?  

orangeman

Quote from: rrhf on June 05, 2008, 09:05:53 AM
Some interesting memories, some of them hazy enough to me, as some of the games played during my student days.  On the 99 game, Cushs last Tyrone jersey, he didnt shine that day but got 8 and MOM the week before V Fermanagh.  Tyrone should have won that game and should have taken Ulster that year - they had a great mix of exuberant youth and experience - McAnallan, O Neill, Mc Gurk and Gourley/ Cush Canavan/ Cavlan / Lawn.  Remember Mc Cartan in an Ulster rugby top on the sideline on crutches, I remember an old mate Alan Molloy and the great Cormac lacing each other in a youthful but very physical midfield battle.   Poor Paul Mc Gurk was hung out to dry on the maestro himself Mickey Linden and Tyrone simply collapsed from a winning position as they did so many times in the pre Mickey Harte era.  Was on the way to Turkey after the game and got half the face burnt to a cinder... ran about Turkey like a Tyrone flag with creme on one side of the face for the week - how the women flocked!
As for the 98 game.  Eoin Gormley and Brian Mc Guckin from memory played that day.  It was a depressing year for Tyrone football and the county in general the year a very youthful Doanghmore side shocked the county and put Ulster finalists errigal to the sword in the O Neill Cup first round, defeating Drmore in Omagh but were defeated by a pumped up Omagh team in a semi final refixture just 4 weeks after the Omagh bomb.  Ardboe came in under the radar abnd messrs Mc Guigan(2) Devlin, Coleman at a very young age and old Devlin (Fay) won their one and only county medals.   Remember the mad Benny Hurl on Mc Bride in the final.  How many county medals did he finish with?  

I applaud your memory !

loughshore lad

Quote from: rrhf on June 05, 2008, 09:05:53 AM
It was a depressing year for Tyrone football and the county in general the year a very youthful Doanghmore side shocked the county and put Ulster finalists errigal to the sword in the O Neill Cup first round, defeating Drmore in Omagh but were defeated by a pumped up Omagh team in a semi final refixture just 4 weeks after the Omagh bomb.  Ardboe came in under the radar abnd messrs Mc Guigan(2) Devlin, Coleman at a very young age and old Devlin (Fay) won their one and only county medals.   Remember the mad Benny Hurl on Mc Bride in the final.  How many county medals did he finish with?  

98 was the last vintage year for football in Tyrone when the O'Neill cup resided on the loughshore  ;)

Contrary to popular belief McBride actually injured himself in the final, Benny wasn't that close to him when it happened although I would say that was not for the lack of trying on Benny's part  ;D  :D  ;). I reckon Benny must have 3 county medals.

Fuzzman

Where did you read that interview with Dooher O'Neill

Any chance you can post it?

Why are you so anti big Sean at FF even if he's totally injury free.
Do you not think the forwards need him more than MF?

At least the half backs and half forwards can get breaking ball and just kick it into him
I think teams are wise to him running at them now even if they do just hawl him down

useername

just heard benny coulter suffered a broken wrist last night in training,

huge blow for down's chances

5 Sams

Maybe he was in Kerry breaking up the row between the Gooch and Declan O'Sullivan ;) ;) ;)
The Aristocrat Years

amallon

A row in the Kerry camp and the Gooch with a broken nose, now Coulter with a broken wrist and you with only 5 posts.... WUM   ::)
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Bensars

It was only a matter of time.....................The school holidays must have already started.

useername

schoooolllllllssssssssssssss outtttt forrrr summmmmmmmmeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Fuzzman

What was he doing at the time he broke his wrist?

Was it from reading the article last month called
"Tyrone Red Hand Relief"

BTW Cool UserName useername
What's the origin? Hebrew?

useername

i do believe he was watching channel 911

its aramaic, but your not far off