Dublin Vs Meath

Started by Jinxy, April 13, 2008, 09:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

red hander

I'm still getting over the shock of a GAA referee (even one as terrible as Paddy Russell) actually sending off Ciaran Whelan

bingobus

Quote from: Jinxy on April 21, 2008, 02:04:01 PM
Like I said earlier, the atmosphere was grand where I was. Plenty of mixing, plenty of shaking hands at the end. How come if this game involved so much malevolence I never had any fear that the Meath players would get abuse when the pitch was invaded at the end? The players shook hands, GG even gave the Church End a little clap and everyone went on their way. From what I heard about the Monaghan game the atmosphere then was way worse.

Dublin won yesterday, the natives were happy  ;)  ;D

Gnevin

CCCC taking no further action at the moment
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Jinxy

Quote from: bingobus on April 21, 2008, 02:38:55 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 21, 2008, 02:04:01 PM
Like I said earlier, the atmosphere was grand where I was. Plenty of mixing, plenty of shaking hands at the end. How come if this game involved so much malevolence I never had any fear that the Meath players would get abuse when the pitch was invaded at the end? The players shook hands, GG even gave the Church End a little clap and everyone went on their way. From what I heard about the Monaghan game the atmosphere then was way worse.

Dublin won yesterday, the natives were happy  ;)  ;D

Hmmm, you may have a point! ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hound

And Cristiano Freeman wasnt playing  ;)

orangeman

Quote from: Hound on April 21, 2008, 03:06:19 PM
And Cristiano Freeman wasnt playing  ;)

It's a good job you don't play Monaghan every week - the auld diesel has got dear and a trip to Monaghan every week with an apology would be costly - I suppose he could always travel in the Garda Monde with the stipes on her !  ;) :D ;D

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: passedit on April 21, 2008, 12:09:21 PM
Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on April 21, 2008, 11:41:38 AM
Quote from: passedit on April 21, 2008, 10:52:44 AM
http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=NnOCndqPTMo

For those of us not at the game or didn't see Sunday Sport, thanks for that. Any chance u have de highlights of the Monaghan Westmeath game there and could put it up???

Sorry Croi, I googled that one as I hadn't managed to see Sunday Sport either. Have to say Whelan's dismissal looks a bit harsh, perhaps paying for previous sins?

Just found this on rte.ie, happy days  ;D Footage not great to tell what actually happened with Whelan, de views here seem consistent enough that he had to go.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/audiovideo_index.html
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Hardy

Quote from: his holiness nb on April 21, 2008, 01:52:12 PM
The Meath fan who threw the tea is a disgrace and should never enter a GAA ground again.

How do you know he was a Meath fan?  ;)

orangeman

Quote from: Hardy on April 21, 2008, 03:36:00 PM
Quote from: his holiness nb on April 21, 2008, 01:52:12 PM
The Meath fan who threw the tea is a disgrace and should never enter a GAA ground again.

How do you know he was a Meath fan?  ;)

That's right - how do we know he was a Meath fan ? He migt have been offering Whelan a welcome cup of tea after his exertions ???  ;)

milltown row

has Dublin been involved in every 'handbags' incident thats been shown on tv? surely they are bringing the game into gutter with their over the top tackling and winding the other team up. they come across as hard men with a siege mentality and Caffrey comes on plays it down.

Jell 0 Biafra

You're right!
Every violent incident on any GAA pitch has involved Dublin.   The true non-dub Gaels are only minding their own business, happy to have a nice day out on the pitch.  But as soon as those trouble-makers from Dublin show up, all hell breaks loose.

Makes perfect sense.

lynchbhoy

anyone else think this is a bit of handbags in a match that has been blown out of proportion.

feck sake, I've seen (and been in) a lot worse.
the cup thrown from the crowd is the worst aspect imo.

Gaelic football is always going to have fights as its a man v man ,close physical contact game that uses contact from neck down to toes.
In wet slippy conditions, these kids of rows will always be more likely, esp when rivals square up.

I think a lot of fans like a bit of a dust up now and again.
It also pleases the GAA a small bit as there will be more bums on seats at the next meeting of both teams.

get over it.
Public banning and naming of the fan should take place.
Whatever about fighting on the pitch, nothing outside the sidelines can EVER be allowed.

orangeman

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 21, 2008, 04:15:16 PM
anyone else think this is a bit of handbags in a match that has been blown out of proportion.

Gaelic football is always going to have fights as its a man v man ,close physical contact game that uses contact from neck down to toes.
In wet slippy conditions, these kids of rows will always be more likely, esp when rivals square up.

It also pleases the GAA a small bit as there will be more bums on seats at the next meeting of both teams.

get over it.
Whatever about fighting on the pitch, nothing outside the sidelines can EVER be allowed.

Would you not consider making a concession for Dublin ? Dublin do both so it would be unfair to take your attitude. The rest of us can live with it.  ;)

An Gaeilgoir

Quote from: lynchbhoy on April 21, 2008, 04:15:16 PM

get over it.

The Aussies arrived over a few years ago, did the exact same thing and even played better football than the Irish team and look at the outcry that followed. If fighting and nonsence is allowed at the high profile matches, well then it has to be the same in club matches around the country. The game overall has to be looked at...there is too much short passing and congested middle areas on the field. When a late or high tackle comes in there is a free for all in a matter of seconds. The shit that went on yesterday has no place on a GAA pitch. Look at the hurling final yesterday... why should football have to be  played any different?

lynchbhoy

Dont get me wrong, the players caught fighting have to be banned etc as per regulations.
But thats it. they get punished.
Apart from a very odd time, Football or hurling teams are not sent out to fight, get stuck in and show they wont be intimidated etc, but once in a few thousand matches actually sent out to fight .

What happens in our games is the occasional flare up that is not pre-meditated.

This is, In comparison to the aussies who set out their gameplan around fighting and being sent out to 'soften' up the Irish.

wehn we sent out our 'hit squad' in 89 (McGilligan, O'Byrne, O'shea, Lyons et al) the flippin aussies didnt half whinge about it then.

so not saying the lads fighting should get away with it, but its not the end of the world and it was fairly unlikely to have been a planned initiative.