Dublin Vs Meath

Started by Jinxy, April 13, 2008, 09:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Quote from: Hound on April 14, 2008, 02:17:44 PM
Quote from: thejuice on April 14, 2008, 02:07:05 PM
Quote from: Hound on April 14, 2008, 02:02:13 PM
Quote from: thejuice on April 14, 2008, 12:58:38 PM
Well our chances of getting to the final are slim to none, but a chance to deny the Dubs a final spot is very appealing.   
That makes no sense given the chances of Meath getting to the final and the chances of Dublin not getting to the final are equal.

If Meath prevent Dublin making the final, there are only two scenarios. Meath are in the final - or there is a three way playoff between Dublin, Meath and WM or Mon.

Was of the thinking that we needed to beat Dublin by 20+ points to get in, since nether of us played Cork.
Well thats hardly "a chance to deny the Dubs a final spot" !

Perhaps I'm being a bit pedantic! But if Meath do enough to stop Dublin making the final, then its very likely they will have done enough to make the final themselves, so your priorities looked mixed up.

In any event its 11 points, not 20, that Meath need to win by the make the final. Although if anyone else finishes on 9 points (i.e. Mon if they lose or WM if they draw), then the points diff goes out the window.

your probably right, im tired
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

I believe Fennell played very well up in Crossmaglen. What are the odds himself and Whelo will be the championship midfield pairing? With Shane Ryan as a roving wing forward. Other than Brogan I believe Dublin have a full hand to pick from for this one, unlike ourselves as there are still a few lads carrying injuries. Dunno if Moyles will be fit. It would be nice to have Farrell and O'Rourke back too. Looking forward to a good hard game.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jinxy

Jaysus, if I started a thread about the Dubs arriving late for matches they'd all be in here defending their honour. Try and have a football discussion and they're nowhere to be found. Typical Dubs. There must be soccer on the telly. :o

thejuice

Cormac McGuinness has opted out of the Meath panel following in the footsteps of Niall McLoughlin and Charles McCarthy, a bit early in the year dont ye think for dropping out.

I reckon a full strenght forward line for us against what was from what I've read a suspect Dublin defence could be what swings this one for us. Midfield will be interesting, the Armagh game aside we havent really dominated from what I gather.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Jinxy

Never good to see lads opting out but I'd be lying if I said the squad had been weakened as a result.

Hound

Didnt realise Charles McCarthy had opted out. Don't think I've ever seen him play well, but then I've only seen him on a handful of occassions and some said he had potential. I suppose he has plenty of time to make a comeback, and concentrating on club football for a while might be a good thing.

Pillar normally names the team on a Tuesday night, but no sign of it in the papers I've read or on hill16.ie, so it looks like he's deferred it – not a surprise after the Armagh debacle.

The forwards should be easy enough. Bring back the lads who played v Ros, with Jason in for ABrogan, so that'd be:

BBrogan Sherlock McMenamin
Connolly Keaney Quinn

I think Shane is carrying a knock, and Whelan needs a start anyway, so Whelan-Fennell should be midfield.

I haven't got a clue who'll be in the half back line. Any 3 from Casey, Cahill, Cullen, Brennan, Andrews, Moran, Flynn, Ryan, Murray. I'm not sure if O'Shaughnessy is also carrying a knock, but if fit he should be in one corner, Henry perhaps in the other. Presumably he'll stick with Ross McConnell at full back – but if he has any doubts, now's probably the last chance to try something else.

heffo

Quote from: Hound on April 16, 2008, 08:19:49 AM
Didnt realise Charles McCarthy had opted out. Don't think I've ever seen him play well, but then I've only seen him on a handful of occassions and some said he had potential. I suppose he has plenty of time to make a comeback, and concentrating on club football for a while might be a good thing.

Pillar normally names the team on a Tuesday night, but no sign of it in the papers I've read or on hill16.ie, so it looks like he's deferred it – not a surprise after the Armagh debacle.

He's delayed naming the team cos Brennan, Ryan, Whelan & O'Shaughnessy are all carrying knocks.

thejuice

From the Meath Chronicle
QuoteWith injury doubts surrounding Anthony Moyles and Brian Farrell, Meath also have concerns about Cian ward, Peadar Byrne and Graham Geraghty.
Ward limped out of the action in the victory over Armagh a fortnight ago while Geraghty and Byrne sustained knocks while on club duty last week.
Meath will also be without the inspirational influence of selector Dudley Farrell who winged his way to Chicago during the week on a seven-day coaching trip. The Chicago Co Board will host Farrell who has mixed feelings about missing the big game against Dublin.

:( Lot looking good for us injury wise either

Jinxy

Lord save us. Coyler and Tumbles might need to bring their togs with them.

heffo

"inspirational influence of selector Dudley Farrell"

The aul chronicle aren't shy are they?

Hound

and he has "mixed feelings" about getting a free, all expenses paid, trip to Chicago for a week!  ;D ;D ;D

Jinxy

Any chance we could talk about the match? For what it's worth, I think Dublin aren't up to much and we'll win by at least 4 points (having scored 2 goals).

thejuice

Quote from: Jinxy on April 16, 2008, 02:02:58 PM
Any chance we could talk about the match? For what it's worth, I think Dublin aren't up to much and we'll win by at least 4 points (having scored 2 goals).

Your feeling confident. While I think we are in with a shout, Dublin have been better than us all through the league except for last weeks slump. But Meath-Dublin games usually take a life of their own, you never know.........

Jinxy

No Alan Brogan, dodgy full back line, Vaughan running around like a headless chicken etc. If it wasn't for the number of injuries we have I'd put the house on a Meath win.

Edit: I don't actually subscribe to the above view and it has failed miserably in drawing any Dubs out of the woodwork so I am now abandoning ship. We are decimated with injuries, Dublin by 5. >:(

INDIANA

Heard it's already on the parnell park dublin dresing room already jinxy. rumour has it that mark vaughan has been seen jogging around blackrock listening to the eye of the tiger wearing a t-shirt inscribed  "who's a headless chicken now jinxy". Ciaran Whelan has been seen wearing a baliffs outfit with a special pair of white gloves inscribed -"we're coming for your gaf jinxy" WE don't do getting beaten in parnell and sunday will be no different. ;D ;D ;D