Dublin Vs Meath

Started by Jinxy, April 13, 2008, 09:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

I'll have to watch the replay but I didn't see McKeigue throwing a punch.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Hardy

LMFM (more than once) described it as a "vicious row". But, based on long experience of media mis-reporting, I'd believe eye-witnesses here more readily than I'd believe the lads on the wireless.

What would worry me most is that (based on what Matty Kerrigan said) the whole thing seemed to put Meath completely off their stride and to a much greater extent than Dublin.

I still haven't found out who was sent off - I missed the first half of the commentary. Can anyone help?

heffo

Quote from: pintsofguinness on April 20, 2008, 06:56:18 PM
WRT Whelan incident (And I'll retract this if Sunday sport shows otherwise), but it seemed to me that Whelan got clocked and Russell didn't see it (Peader Byrne I think) he then slapped more than punched and seemed to make little contact - if I'm proved wrong by replays, I'll accept it. Madness by Whelan either way getting dragged down to their level though.

A strike or attempted strike is a red card offence so what are you complaining about?

When your players get involved in a brawl there's no point yapping when rules are applied.

I've no need to be educated about the rules of the game from you.

I was 'complaining' about Whelan seemingly getting clocked before he turned around and responded and the Meath player who clocked him getting ticked later in the game and then getting a yellow for taking Moran out of it.

Regardless, Fennell, Flynn & Ryan are more than capable of filling the two modfield spots this summer.

Hollow Man

QuoteMadness by Whelan either way getting dragged down to their level though.

He seems to get dragged down to "their" level quite a lot.

Poor Whelo. He should just replace those ridiculous soccer keeper's gloves with a pair of 10 oz boxing gloves and be done with it.

Jinxy

Sure 2/3 of Meaths FB line were gone after 4 minutes? I dunno why anyone would bother trying to analyse this game sensibly. The one thing I will say, Fennell is well worth his place in that Dublin team (ahead of King Whelo I might add). Dublin were well worth their win, but it was like watching the kids having a kick around in the back garden. Lively in patches but ultimately meaningless.

pintsofguinness

QuoteI've no need to be educated about the rules of the game from you.

I was 'complaining' about Whelan seemingly getting clocked before he turned around and responded and the Meath player who clocked him getting ticked later in the game and then getting a yellow for taking Moran out of it.

So the ref didn't see it? That's just tough luck! And lets face it Whelan has got away with more than his fair share of thumps, you've a brass neck to complain about this.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Hardy

Quote from: heffo on April 20, 2008, 06:52:06 PMMadness by Whelan either way getting dragged down to their level

That's one of the funniest comments here in a good while.

Jinxy

For my part I'd like to point out that I watched the match as part of a group of Meath fans in the midst of a larger group of Dublin fans and there wasn't a cross word exchanged for the entire game. There was a few heads shaking in absolute disbelief though. It was comical stuff.

full back

Haha,
Poor Whelo gettingdragged down - you are some craic heffo

INDIANA

whelan was clocked by peadar byrne- i was very close to it. But it doesn't excuse him - he's 33 and needs to show a bit more cop on at this stage. Fennelll was lucky as well he clocked byrne in the second half and byrne was lucky not to walk too in the second half for a dig thrown as well. Really was a mess
mc keigue and mc anarney were sent off for meath, andrews,b brogan and whelan for dublin. i don't think coyle gave a monkeys either way - he never really made any changes until the last 10 minutes. The meath lads sitting in front of me were grand- we all agreed that neither team will  win sam , the ref was dire and it was one of the worst games of football we'd ever been at.

Jinxy

I think Dudley Farrells input was badly missed today.

agorm

First of all I partly agree with Jinxy that the better option would have been to send 1 form each side off and diuxh out about 4 yellows to each team. I wouldnt blame Russlell for sending 2 off however, he was within his rights to do that. Notwithstanding that, Russell had poor game in my opinion and missed a lot on both sides.

I was just up in the stand from Whelan and I did not see him being hit. It all happened quite quick. A Dublin player ran straight into and blocked Kenny and then Whelan got involved in the afters. Crawford was also involved (not Peader Byrne). Whelan was not hit. He had to go. Things were getting very heated at that stage in the stand. I go to many games and am probably too mild mannered for my good own but I seriously felt like throwing something at him. Though hot liquids should never ever be thrown and may now be banned from pitchside. But I would say to Heffo that was defending him - Whelan is an utter sc**bag and you are better off without him. He has been getting involved in the nasty stuff for quite a while now. This game could turn out to be  a blessing in disguise for Pillar as he will have to do without Whelan for 1 month (or possibly 2??) There seems to be better option that him  in Dublin- he is one of the few players in the country that cannot be dragged to a lower level!!

Regarding the rest of the game, Dublin were way better for most of the time except brief spells that Meath battled to get a lot of the breaking ball. Dublin had a better game plan, weree stronger in the tackle and were more adept at getting into scoring positions. Dublin backs fouled less than Meaths albeit helped a little by a whistle happy ref. Overall no complaints regarding the result - Dublin should have won by about 5.

Regarding Meath , I would agree with the earlier comments that Joe Sheridan is too slow for inter-ciounty. this is a shame because he is one of the few forward we have that is abloe to score a goal in a one on one with the keeper. He dropped the ball a lot and is not great at getting the droppingball ahead of the full back. I have to say also that, after being at most of Meath's games this year, I am very disappointed with Stephen Bray. Not anything like he was last year and has been for O'Mahonys. He missed passed at the end of a great move midway through the second half when he could have put Sheridan into a similar position to which he scored. Ward was anonomous in the second half also but did not get great service and has been pretty decent in other games. We have problems in several positions. If Farrell and O' Rourke return that should bolster the attack. Midfield are hit and miss. We are very inconsistent in defence, loose at times and unnecessary frees, dropped balls and poor passing is causing us badly. Plenty to work on in their training week abroad that is coming up.

One last point, I thought that the Dublin players had learned from last year when the goading of the opposition did them no good. Tomas Quinn was at it a bit today and was goading one of the Meath players after he had scored towards the end. The Dubs are actually a potentially very good team but need all the peripheral crap like this and the marches to the hill taken out and concentrate on only the game for the full 70 minutes. I am not sure if Pillar can get that into them. If they do concentrate on just the football and become more disciplined, I would say that they could go a long way and, contrary to what others are saying, are potential dark horses for Sam.

orangeman

NEWSFLASH : DUBLIN GET NEW SPONSOR

Dublin senior football and backroom team have just negotiated a new sponsorship deal for the rest of the season. Hunky Dorys in association with Brian Peters will sponsor the team for as long as Pillar Caffrey is manager.

The next bout will be in the Leinster championship and this Dublin team will go as many rounds as is required this year.

The team have showed true fighting qualities this year, wth the backroom team not afraid to out their "headbutt" in as well.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

heffo

Quote from: agorm on April 20, 2008, 08:43:01 PM
Whelan is an utter sc**bag

That's a disgraceful and libellous comment.

Gnevin

Quote from: agorm on April 20, 2008, 08:43:01 PM
First of all I partly agree with Jinxy that the better option would have been to send 1 form each side off and diuxh out about 4 yellows to each team. I wouldnt blame Russlell for sending 2 off however, he was within his rights to do that. Notwithstanding that, Russell had poor game in my opinion and missed a lot on both sides.

I was just up in the stand from Whelan and I did not see him being hit. It all happened quite quick and it looked as if he ran straight into and blocked (Kenny I think) and then immediately struck out during the reaction. He had to go. Things were getting very heated at that stage in the stand. I go to many games and am probably too mild mannered for my good own but I seriously felt like throwing something at him. Though hot liquids should never ever be thrown and may now be banned from pitchside. But I would say to Heffo that was defending him - Whelan is an utter sc**bag and you are better off without him. This game could turn out to be  a blessing in disguise for Pillar as he will have to do without Whelan for 1 month (or possibly 2??) There seems to be better option that him  in Dublin- he is one of the few players in the country that cannot be dragged to a lower level!!

Regarding the rest of the game, Dublin were way better for most of the time except brief spells that Meath battled to get a lot of the breaking ball. Dublin had a better game plan, weree stronger in the tackle and were more adept at getting into scoring positions. Dublin backs fouled less than Meaths albeit helped a little by a whistle happy ref. Overall no complaints regarding the result - Dublin should have won by about 5.

Regarding Meath , I would agree with the earlier comments that Joe Sheridan is too slow for inter-ciounty. this is a shame because he is one of the few forward we have that is abloe to score a goal in a one on one with the keeper. He dropped the ball a lot and is not great at getting the droppingball ahead of the full back. I have to say also that, after being at most of Meath's games this year, I am very disappointed with Stephen Bray. Not anything like he was last year and has been for O'Mahonys. He missed passed at the end of a great move midway through the second half when he could have put Sheridan into a similar position to which he scored. Ward was anonomous in the second half also but did not get great service and has been pretty decent in other games. We have problems in several positions. If Farrell and O' Rourke return that should bolster the attack. Midfield are hit and miss. We are very inconsistent in defence, loose at times and unnecessary frees, dropped balls and poor passing is causing us badly. Plenty to work on in their training week abroad that is coming up.
Calling a player a sc**bag null and voids and other wise good post and makes you seem moronic .
Whelan done nothing more than anyone else (note i am not condoning him and the tv footage i just seen seems to indicate a punch was thrown at him). So is every player on the pitch today a sc**bag and in fact a vast quantity of other county players?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.