Longford V Sligo NFL Div 3 decider

Started by SLIGONIAN, April 13, 2008, 07:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SLIGONIAN

Down beatin limerick is a good result for us and I was expecting it. Now if we beat Longford by 3pts(no easy task) but possible and limerick and leitrim dont draw we stay up.

I spoke to a sligo selector the other day. I asked a few straight questions and wasnt impressed with the replys I got. I will review my post before posting and ask others aswell because I dont want to antagonise anyone.

Big week for Sligo, devasted if were back in Div 4 when only 10 people turn up to watch. Im not 100% sure but does that mean TM cup apply to this yr or next and if we lose to Mayo are we in it if relegated???
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Rossfan

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 13, 2008, 07:06:36 PM
does that mean TM cup apply to this yr or next and if we lose to Mayo are we in it if relegated???

Yes.
;D ;D ;D ;D
New ( or return of old) scenario passed yesterday only applies from 2009.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Farrandeelin

And you have to beat Longford to ensure you stay out of the TM Cup. If our backs can contain Sligo's forwards that is.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

SLIGONIAN

From my conversation and questions put to a certain man of influence in the Sligo set up I am seriously worried about this Sunday and the summer. A massively different perspective from the majority of Sligofans on team selection. And judging by our performances the management are getting it wrong and contributing to our rapid demise but from this lads point of view its not them at fault. The players are too blame. Whereas in my opinion it is always equally both sides to blame in most cases and everyone should look at themselves.

My conversation will make interesting viewing. But Ive asked someone to read it first because I want to not offend anyone. You know in a province of 5 counties from underage to senior(sorry NY and London) but Leitrim have more connaght titles than us believe it or not. It all makes sense when you listen to guys involved with our county set up. We have the talent always but not the guidance. Anyone that disagrees with my logic or what Im saying. Tell me why have we 1 connaght title at any level since 1975 to show for our efforts?

Shamrock Shore

I will think about this conundrum at length. I have no ill will agin any Sligo, Leitrim nor Limerick person but I am torn at our health and yours.

More anon.....................

all star

SLIGONIAN Why bother putting it up at all. Sure we all have insights into the county set up and could spend hours writing up posts and debating inside stories. But sure what will that do. I have been reading your comments for some time now with out offering an opinion and the more I read the more I know you haven't a clue. In fact I don't why I am even entertaining you. Does us a favour and keep your inside scopes to yourself and don't be embarrassing yourself by posting them up on a chat page site....   

As for Sunday I think it's a lost cause and that's not being negative you could say Longford are starting three points up always harder chasing a game like that especially away from home in the league. But still Sligo did it away to Wicklow last year if all injuries clear up and he finals picks his best 15 then you never know.

SLIGONIAN

I have got some bad news, I spoke to a member of the sligo management team, I asked him a straight question, whats the story wtih phillips? A shrug of the shoulder and comment that went like this. "hes not training well and hasnt been allyear" I didnt want to antagonise the man so i didnt push it. But I did want to say why is the lad on still on panel if not giving his all at training.

This man said K ONeill has a good chance for next sunday, but I dont know how serious he was. I asked him about my clubmate Eoin who I feel isnt up to county senior yet, he said eoin was asked to a job last sunday and did it, which is a contradiction considering he got taken off at ht. I watched him put in a poor performance for my club again aswell.

I did say to him I was very frustrated with team selections and disagreed with alot but he was very careful in his words not to give much away. I also asked him what did he make of Jordan and he wasnt very convincing in his reply, "kinda its first yr and he has new ideas" but his body language wasnt enthustatic when he said it.
I said to him we have no chance against longford if he picks kivelhan, curran and mchugh as our HF line. He didnt say much but I could see he disagreed. Anyway my conclusion to it all is not all is well. he asked me do I go all the games, he then said you must be very frustrated and I said I was but I support my team when on the field and save my criticism for elsewhere.

We can just expect the same or worse TEAM SELECTIONS. Simple they cant see McNamara anywhere else but CHB and oneill has more chance than phillips. Also J Davey no chance of being pushed further forward and I did say that to him but he in disagreement. I said curran has more defensive qualites aswell.
Funny thing also he said our lads arent fit enough. I didnt say anything BUT isnt that the managements responsibilty???????????????.

I asked him how far away is EGAN TAYLOR and MCPARTLAND, he said mcpartland maybe as a sub but not start, the other 2 are long term and may not be back for a long time even CSFC which is worrying if true.

My last words were best of luck against longford, we can do it. His reply you know longford have it all to play for too. I said yes but Im focused on us and if we get the performance we wont have to worry about the opposition. I have to say I found this guy negative and he disappointed me. This should create some debate. Everything Ive siad is true.

AZOffaly

QuoteI have got some bad news, I spoke to a member of the sligo management team, I asked him a straight question, whats the story wtih phillips? A shrug of the shoulder and comment that went like this. "hes not training well and hasnt been allyear" I didnt want to antagonise the man so i didnt push it. But I did want to say why is the lad on still on panel if not giving his all at training.

Without getting into the specifics Sligonian, that quote I've highlighted above could mean a few things, from your interpetation down to he's not going well in training, i.e. his form in training is poor so far. I wouldn't assume he's not putting the effort in.

SLIGONIAN

Well I have alot of friends who I put the same words too and they all came too same conclusion as me but I respect your different perspective. But I suppose all weve been reading in the local papers the last few weeks doesnt help.ie quotes from our manager questioning players atitude, and players having to take long look at themselves.

Billys Boots

If Longford play like they can, they'll win and stay up.  If they play like they have been doing recently, then all will depend on which Sligo turns up on the day.

Sligo's backs are better than our backs - our forwards are better than Sligo's forwards.  On a wet day, our middle third should do alright, and win enough possession to give good supply to Kavanagh, Barden (Snr) and McGee.  On a dry day, I'd be afraid the Sligo middle third would run riot, and our full back line's a mess.  Thankfully (and no disrespect intended) I'm not sure Sligo's FF line has the wherewithall to exploit that 'mess'.

Against my better judgement (and gut instinct gained by 35 years of watching Longford teams), I think Longford will scrape through and win by two points.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

SLIGONIAN

Id agree regarding synopsis, Longford have better forward line, Id be worried about the defensive capabliites of our HB line but our full back has saved us in the past and may well do so next Sunday. Our forward line could be better if strongest team was selected. If we start with same HF line as louth game we may aswell not turn up. We are self destructing on the line and its starting to spread to the field. Id hope Gaughan starts did well 2nd half against louth and has pace. We need flannery to have another good day with frees and need brehony back to. Kelly scored 0-3 from play last day and is well able to excell and score. Hopefully we are fitter now and 2 week break has done us good.

stevo-08

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 14, 2008, 11:41:49 AM
I have got some bad news, I spoke to a member of the sligo management team, I asked him a straight question, whats the story wtih phillips? A shrug of the shoulder and comment that went like this. "hes not training well and hasnt been allyear" I didnt want to antagonise the man so i didnt push it. But I did want to say why is the lad on still on panel if not giving his all at training.

This man said K ONeill has a good chance for next sunday, but I dont know how serious he was.

hmm, I wont hold my breath that we'll see o'neill start on sunday. O'Neill played with Coolera & Phillips was asked not to play for harps. Thats sounds to me like they have plans to give phillips a run. Considering the performances todate, it's quite unbelievable that o'neill hasnt featured yet.

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 14, 2008, 11:41:49 AM
I asked him how far away is EGAN TAYLOR and MCPARTLAND, he said mcpartland maybe as a sub but not start, the other 2 are long term and may not be back for a long time even CSFC which is worrying if true.

How can taylor be such a long term injury? Hasnt he played for harps the last 2 games??

I'd expect a big performance on sunday. In fairness, we've been in these situations before and more often than not, we usually come up trumps. With the 3pt margin to make up, we're really up against it this time.

SLIGONIAN

Maybe this selector will take my advice. ;). I wont hold my breath.

Well when he said that about oneill I honestly thought he was joking although I do think he is a good footballer but never played well or consistently to suggest hes a definite starter for county. Not that he doesnt have the potential but hes yet to show it. The thing that confuses me about peoples opinion on Oneill, all the guys on here seem to believe hes definite starter, but on hoganstand none of them rate him, actually I posted that oneill maybe should get a run, and a few lads said lets not lose the run of ourselves. As among older folk and outside the internet, Im talking friends, clubmates, family have similiar opinion to myself that oneill , what has he done for county in 6 yrs involved? He hasnt been a regular starter under 3 different managers? When I pushed this last time i challenged guys to justify why he should be starting and as usual when there was no evidence and couldnt handle it they went back to bashing me again? Where would yee play oneill? Who would you drop? Is he better than phillips? My last memory of oneill for Sligo was the Leitrim qualifier 2006 which we won in parc sean, he got a unbeliavle point that day with his left foot. I thank him for that. Has he played since? I can honestly say if he is playing well for coolera he deserves a shot but in my book he needs a fair few decent performance in a black jersey before I call him a definite starter.

Not sure we are on about the same taylor, Are you telling me Tony Taylor is back playing for harps after his long injury layoff???? I hope your right.

So do I expect a big one, we did it in wicklow and we can do it again.

magpie seanie

Karol O'Neill has been very unlucky with injuries over the years and I suppose most people haven't seen him enough to realise how good he is. He is our best player in Coolera. He was superb again on Sunday for us - the best player on the pitch by a good way. I get to see a lot of him and I make no apologies for saying he should be in the team because it is a fact - he should be. Put no. 7 on his back and worry about the other positions. He can do a good job in the half forwards too if necessary but to get the best out of him he needs to be played in his natural position (one he has played in very little for Sligo).

If you remember he was dreadfully unlucky to be dropped last year when Tommy Breheny changed his tactics during the league. He was playing the 7th defender role (lining out at 15 and coming back sweeping) and did it to perfection - cutting out opposition attacks and setting up ours. He didn't get back in during the league and then suffered an ankle injury in a club game to rule him out of the Connacht campaign.

Anyway - we've a good few problems but we need to put them behind us and whatever team we put out has to do the business. The dryer the better from a Sligo point of view as mentioned earlier but regardless of the conditions we must win. I've no idea who they will pick but it will be more about attitude than the team they pick. If guys aren't doing it then off with them asap. Div 4 is a shite place to be and we must avoid it.

stevo-08

Sligonian, I didnt say O'Neill should be a definite starter but in my opinion he's a better hb than kivlehan, mcgovern & possibly davey. McGovernn has played well for sligo in the past but from what I've seen this year, he is severely lacking confidence and I would have liked to see O'Neill given a chance. Obviously, once given a chance he needs to prove he's good enough to hold onto the jersey.

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on April 14, 2008, 03:53:29 PM
Not sure we are on about the same taylor, Are you telling me Tony Taylor is back playing for harps after his long injury layoff???? I hope your right.

Yes. Tony Taylor. I was talking to a man this morning who tells me he played the last 2 games for harps. I was as shocked as you to hear it but he seemed 100% certain. I hope he's right.